+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level

How I got all the halloween gear

C and P'd from other forums. I followed this and now have everything so, if you got some down time between captivating Kirin and dethroning King Behemoth...

By matthios(sp?) of Lakshmi

There are 8 different Rare/Ex items you can get from the Halloween event: Pumpkin Head, Pumpkin Head II, Horror Head, Horror Head II, Trick Staff, Trick Staff II, Treat Staff, and Treat Staff II.

Both Pumpkin Heads and both Trick Staves aren't high-quality items; both Horror Heads and both Treat Staves are HQ items. When I say "alternate," I mean whether or not the item has a II in its name--Pumpkin Head II is the alternate of Pumpkin Head, and vice-versa, for example.

1. Only give saruta oranges bought from NPCs (like in Raimbroy's Grocery in Southern Sandy). They are by far the cheapest treat to give.

2. Find NPCs within a particular zone that not many people seem to go to. Stand in front of that NPC and trade oranges over and over until you get an item. If you get an item other than a jack-o-lantern, then zone and come back in a little bit. (There is a time interval involved before you can get another item, although I am unsure of the exact time--wait 5 minutes just to be safe) If you get a jack-o-lantern, move to another NPC within that zone with not many people around it and commence trading oranges. Follow this pattern until you receive an item other than a jack-o-lantern.

3. Okay, this is where things really get important. This is absolutely key to understand if you want all the items: what item you get depends on what you have equipped. The game randomly chooses between giving you a headgear or weapon item. If you have nothing in the chosen slot, you get a random non-HQ item for that slot (so if the game chooses "headgear" and you have nothing on your head, you get either Pumpkin Head or Pumpkin Head II). The game ignores non-Halloween items in the headgear and weapon slots and counts them as if nothing was equipped there. If you have a non-HQ Halloween item in that slot, you get the HQ version of it (so if you have a Pumpkin Head on, you'll get a Horror Head). If you have a HQ version of that item, you get the non-HQ version of it.

3. If you have nothing in the chosen slot and have a non-HQ version of one of the items that goes in that slot in your inventory, you get the alternate version of that item. For example, if you have Trick Staff in your inventory but not equipped, you'll get the Trick Staff II.

So, here we go with my masterpiece:

If you want a Pumpkin Head or Pumpkin Head II: have no Halloween items equipped in headgear slot

If you want a Trick Staff or Trick Staff II: have no Halloween items equipped in weapon slot

If you want a Horror Head: have Pumpkin Head equipped in headgear slot

If you want a Horror Head II: have Pumpkin Head II equipped in headgear slot

If you want a Treat Staff: have Trick Staff equipped in weapon slot

If you want a Treat Staff II: have Trick Staff II equipped in weapon slot

So, as an example, this would be an appropriate order of getting the items:

Pumpkin Head (Equip it) > Trick staff II (Equip it) > Treat staff II (Equip it) > Horror head (unequip both Pumpkin Head and Treat Staff II) > Pumpkin head II (Equip it) > Trick staff (Equip it) and so on...

Basically, the idea is to remove the possibility of receiving any other item than the one you want. For example, the last item I had left to get was Horror Head. Thus, to get it, I had to have Pumpkin Head equipped in headgear slot and Treat Staff II equipped in the weapon slot before the NPC would give it to me (because otherwise with no HQ Halloween item in weapon slot, the NPC would try to give me a Trick Staff II).

I dream of oranges now... Happy Hunting!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

one thing that some people take for granted that other people don't know about...

/item "Saruta Orange" <t>

saves a lot of time

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

good post

wow if all that is true and accurate... square is crazy

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Rate up.

Black Belt
    BG Level

that might explain why i got all the version I stuff and not the version II stuff.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hmm, I tried out these theories and got a lot of stuff...

...4 Jack-o's...

=(

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Jack O's

Yes, its true, sometimes youll get a few jack O' lanterns in a row before you get what youre looking for. I once got 3 jack O lanterns in a row before i got my item. You just gotta keep switching up People in that zone til you get an item. But who knows, sometimes the FFXI gods just give bad luck. Go mess kirin up and show him who's boss. :D

But seriously. I got all 8 items doing it this way and it only cost me like 15k in oranges.

well uh....what about 9 jacko's in a row?....this is what im trying todo...im trying to get treat staff using your method...thats the staff with the latent effect warp....i have nothing onme but my thf AF and a trick staff equiped in my wep slot...if im following your guide correctly then i should be getting either jacko's or a treat staff....tell me if im doing something wrong =/

wow it does work.....after about 13 straight jacko's i got a treat staff finnaly.....ur the bomb kunami.....lol thx man

oh and btw...that macro doesnt work joft =/

totally sorry joft....macro does work....was putting "oranges" instead of "orange" lol....thx man it does help :wink:

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

my buddy got 19 jack's in a row before he got his treat staff II

special note: like Kunami said, it has to be in your *inventory*... i left my trick staff II in my MH trying to get Trick staff or Treat staff and i get "you can not obtain the Trick Staff II"

Also, after i got the Treat Staff II, while having Trick Staff II in my inventory, it tried to give me another Trick Staff II, so sometimes you just get screwed ><

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Same thing happened with me roman. The guide works great, until some glitch where it kept trying to give me a trick staff II. Dunno.

I traded one orange, one horror head, can you explain that please?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

were you wearing a regular pumpkin head at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Kunami
    were you wearing a regular pumpkin head at the time?
    The first time no, i had none of my event gear with me. The second time i had Treat Staff II on, and Pumpkin Head II equiped.

At the same time i had Trick Staff II in my inventory, and that is all of the event gear i had on me.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

so you got a horror head without wearing anything?

i haven't even gotten a horror head (I or II) yet lol... nor have i gotten the pumpkin head I