Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

FFXI Graphic settings--making the game look good

So I am curious as to what settings people use to make the game look better...

I know there are some programs like FFXI Element Enhancement..

Personally I just make some registry changes to the background resolution to be 1280x1280
    And there is one value for detail level I set to 3..

The game looks reasonably nice, but I am wondering what people find works for them.
    Anistropic filtering and antialiasing are always nice too , but the game seems to have issues with that sometimes...doesn't seem to work as good as it should.

I have a NVIDIA card now, and I think it looks better than my old ATI did..
    Discuss please I r teh bored !

I set both my forground and background reg values to 1680x1050(0001-0004 I think).

Using a nVidia 7950GT KO.

I can't believe I played on PS2 for 2 years before this. ><

Widescreen + PC = Win

Wouldn't play without it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Setting the background resolution to twice the foreground resolution gives a kind of forced Anti-aliasing effect which looks good. I find that also setting the mipmapping higher, ~4 makes the game look nicer too, since it removes all the specklyness from the distance.

Also, download a drawdistance extending program and play in widescreen. Makes the game look good

In the registry, Mipmapping is 0000, and background resolution is 0003 and 0004 (x and y).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you don't have widescreen, just make the windower runs in 16:9 aspect ratio.
    I've run my game on 1280x720 screen and it's quite nice

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you dont know your way around the registery .. google a program called MoogleToolz. It changes all the registry values for you .. and the game looks like it should on a top end PC after you tweak it a bit. Do it a little bit at a time though to see how your PC handles the changes

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I've noticed a lot of the screenshots on this site have the interface modded in terms of the icons used for songs, status, pointers, targeting etc. They look great.

Can anyone recommend a good set of them (and directions as to how to install)? Thanks.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightjade
    I've noticed a lot of the screenshots on this site have the interface modded in terms of the icons used for songs, status, pointers, targeting etc. They look great.

Can anyone recommend a good set of them (and directions as to how to install)? Thanks.
    http://brandson.livejournal.com

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Great, thanks! ^^

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Alright! I need help!!

I have an e-machine (yeah yeah lole-machines blah blah), which had lasted me about 2-3 years, worked really really well. Recently the HD went out, so I decided to just fix and upgrade it instead of buying a new one, because honestly I never had trouble with it.

I want to upgrade my GFX card to something that will make things look prettier and less laggy at high resolutions at a reasonable price; looking to spend around $200. The current chip I have is an Nvidia nForce2 GeForce 4 MX, which even when I first got it was pretty cheap.

My CPU looks like this: AMD "Barton" core with 512MB of Level 2 cache, it also has a 333MHz front-side bus (Im really just copy and pasting the specs from a website dated 2003 which was when I got it, the link is here).

I was looking at this one, but Im really clueless about this kind of stuff. Any imput or recommendations in laymans terms would be so appreciated. :D

edit: fixed links >.>

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Intense
    Alright! I need help!!

I have an e-machine (yeah yeah lole-machines blah blah), which had lasted me about 2-3 years, worked really really well. Recently the HD went out, so I decided to just fix and upgrade it instead of buying a new one, because honestly I never had trouble with it.

I want to upgrade my GFX card to something that will make things look prettier and less laggy at high resolutions at a reasonable price; looking to spend around $200. The current chip I have is an Nvidia nForce2 GeForce 4 MX, which even when I first got it was pretty cheap.

My CPU looks like this: AMD "Barton" core with 512MB of Level 2 cache, it also has a 333MHz front-side bus (Im really just copy and pasting the specs from a website dated 2003 which was when I got it, the link is here).

I was looking at this one, but Im really clueless about this kind of stuff. Any imput or recommendations in laymans terms would be so appreciated. :D

edit: fixed links >.>
    get a Radeon 9700 level graphics card (or better) if you want to run FFXI run decently in most part (I myself using x800 pro and it was kinda overkill)
    but the main thing is FFXI is a CPU bound application, so the performance is really highly based on your processor. You might upgrade your processor (as well as memory) too so that it won't cause bottle neck

EDIT:
    check out these links for chip performance comparison
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132