BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing tethered     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Playing tethered

So long long ago I was able to play ffxi tethered to old phone with old network. Internet down and will be down until after update so thought hey should be easy to work with new networks and a smartphone. Got it tethered just fine and getting faster speeds than when Comcast was sucking and faster than the DSL usually was and accessing websites just fine... but for some reason it just lags out on ffxi and wont complete the log in. Anyone know what's up and how I can make it work?

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I use t-mobile and have no issues tethering unless I'm in a very congested zone, then I get a lot of dropped packets.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

FFXI makes like a zillion connections and I've always had issues w/ number of connections using mobile data. Depends on the network and your phone model in my experience. Some providers also block specific types of connections, in addition to limiting how / how often you can tether. I used to go thru my MetroPCS phone (T-Mobile service) w/ zero issues, but had to hack around quite a bit to make it happen since they try to block tethering if you are on their full unlimited plan. I was limited to wired USB tethering though, since the wireless was getting detected/blocked by them. USB can not be stopped, even on a non-rooted phone. >:3

I would still be using it if I did not live in a literal wireless deadzone. ._.;;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Eventually found a work around. Had to use an ap/program to tether thru to make it work... and it was only free for 30 minutes at a time lol. But yeah ran damn near at normal wired speed while doing that so guess my carrier or phone hates doing things like that and defaults to insanely severe throttling

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Eventually found a work around. Had to use an ap/program to tether thru to make it work... and it was only free for 30 minutes at a time lol. But yeah ran damn near at normal wired speed while doing that so guess my carrier or phone hates doing things like that and defaults to insanely severe throttling
    If you are on Android, I suggest giving EasyTetherPro a shot. Can try the free version first to make sure it works for you, then buy the pro version. License is permanent and attached to your Google account, so even if you switch phones, you can still use it. It's the one I used, and worked perfectly even though the service did everything in their power to block it. XD

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I got pdanet. It's one time if you want license but for simply things like just logging in I can use the free trial since it really just makes you resign in... or at least it's supposed to. 2nd time I hit limit it just informed me I should buy and reconnected on it's so fast I didn't drop