+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New California Republic     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

New California Republic

A proposal on the November ballot for California residents will include a measure to divide current California in to three separate, but population similar states with their own borders, government, and resources.

The proposal offers Northern California, featuring the area from the SF Bay and Sacramento and north on to the Oregon border. California, featuring from Monterey south to Los Angeles and encompassing all of Los Angeles county. And finally Southern California, which will include areas east of LA including Fresno, Bakersfield, and San Diego all to the southern border with Mexico.

The proposal of course has many steps to go through, but this is a significant first one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    The fact that they include south and east bay as northern California offends me greatly. Hell half the reason people up here are somewhat open to the idea is to get away from that lol. We need to go back to 6 California!

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So how would the Democrats fare in Presidential Elections with CA split like this? SoCal would most likely be a red state unless San Diego can carry the vote.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

SoCal I can see becoming a swing state.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    So how would the Democrats fare in Presidential Elections with CA split like this? SoCal would most likely be a red state unless San Diego can carry the vote.
    Given Democrats control the legislature that will have to approve this... but yeah as Azat said Socal would probably become swing. I'd imagine regular would be blue and North I'd say really depends on the candidates but probably swingy as well.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I would certainly be interesting to see the local government give a passed measure the middle finger. Congress I can see going two ways. If the Democrats can re-take Congress in November, they're definitely going to cockblock this in order to preserve their 55 EC votes. If the Repubs keep control, then they'd approve this in a second to potentially add two swing states to the contest and permanently hamper the automatic votes the Democrats get.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

North and south probably both red. It's the conservatives who iirc have been pushing for this as they are tired of living in a blue state. Let's not pretend this was very calculated to give two reds and one blue.

Fuck this shit, I hope it burns so it takes awhile before someone tries again. SoCal's Mexican food is better than ours.

BG Level

you guys are high as shit if you think Northern California would be anything but blue. The Bay is liberal as balls and full of minorities and the population of NorCal is heavily concentrated there. California we all agree would remain dark blue. SoCal would prolly tilt red, San Diego ain't that liberal relative to the rest of Coastal California (hello Pendleton) and the Inland Empire is p bloody.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I preferred it more when there was talk of Washington, Oregon and California joining Canada. California alone would double our population.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

North would be a solid blue. South would be solid red, and California would be swing lean blue. It will never pass. It may have gotten enough signatures, but early polls have it at about 70% against it. Even if it did pass, state senators would have to approve it, and then submit it to Congress which would then have to approve it.

BG Level

Monterey SLO Santa Barbara and LA counties equal swing lean eh

this initiative will never pass but it is good in the sense it reveals peoples's ignorance about California's demographics.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I really hope this doesn't pass. It will be retarded in so many ways. It is up there with California wanting to annex itself from the Unites States

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I would like to know the logistics of properly setting up the boundary between Los Angeles County and Orange/San Bernadino counties. I'm pretty sure there are properties straddling those lines. Also despite dividing up the population in to nearly equal shares, I'm pretty confident Cal and Nor Cal would be swimming in property tax dollars compared to So Cal.

Also LOL Southern California would have to deal with the border bullshit. I am quite confident Orange and SD counties would be livid with handling the border considering all the ruckus over the swelling homeless population in Santa Ana (Orange County seat) and all the other cities in the county going NIMBY over that problem and wanting to throw all the homeless in an encampment in Silverado Canyon or a former juvenile detention facility in the Cleveland National Forest.

Nor Cal is purple heavily tilting blue, So Cal is purple and heavily tilting red (OC, SD are pretty much even, everything else is red). Cal would be straight up blue stronghold. Senator makeup will probably be 5D/1R or 4D/2R.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    you guys are high as shit if you think Northern California would be anything but blue. The Bay is liberal as balls and full of minorities and the population of NorCal is heavily concentrated there. California we all agree would remain dark blue. SoCal would prolly tilt red, San Diego ain't that liberal relative to the rest of Coastal California (hello Pendleton) and the Inland Empire is p bloody.
    Well if you took out east/south bay maybe... old 6 cali version I think started after Marin county and would've likely been red but yeah getting just a few more south counties likely doubles the population of the proposed state with it mostly being liberal

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I really want SNL to do a Californians skit based on this possible future.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    California wanting to annex itself from the United States
    beg pardon

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I assume him meant secede. Calexit did get permission to gather signatures however it kind of died off after some Russian ties were found. Which is a shame because Caleavefornia would've been dope

BG Level

yeah the boys at work will be crowing about this when i go back on friday. going to be lovely to deal with.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

How about we put some numbers on this:

If California was divided into the three states proposed by the Three States Initiative in 2016, Clinton would have won all three of the states. Clinton's total vote in the new state of Southern California, however, would have been her smallest among the three states at 51.57 percent. In 2012, President Barack Obama's margin over Republican Mitt Romney in the new state of Southern California would have been just 0.63 percentage points.
    Southern California would be a true swing state in presidential elections, OG Cali and Northern would be Blue. That means you'd be looking at 4 easy D Senators and 2 swing senators, so an improvement to a degree on the current situation in the Senate. Also I assume S. Cal is continuing to get more hispanic every year so that should help the true-swing state to trend more blue over time.

Hillary even won Riverside County in 2016 (along with all the counties south of it including Orange). That was a particularly bad year for Republicans though in California.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

A good interactive to keep your heads straight about Hillary/Trump by California county: https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...-clinton-trump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast