FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Chocobo GP (NSW) - Kart Racer - March 10, 2022

SQUARE ENIX® today revealed that Chocobo GP, a thrilling new kart racing experience set in the Chocobo universe, is coming to Nintendo Switch™ in 2022. Featuring a variety of whimsical characters from across the franchise, players will be able to dash to the finish as the game’s namesake and star, Chocobo and friends. Chocobo GP will challenge racers to master courses from well-known Chocobo and FINAL FANTASY® series locations. Set off on a new journey with Chocobo and friends as they enter a racing tournament to win an unbelievable reward: a wish for anything their heart desires!

Features
    • Various game modes – Play various modes including Story and Custom Races. Also enjoy exciting survival races in a bracket-style tournament, which can support up to 64 players. Select modes support online and/or local multiplayer.
    • Thrilling courses – Race through various courses taking inspiration from the Chocobo and FINAL FANTASY series, including Cid’s Test Track, the streets of Alexandria and Zozo and the Gold Saucer.
    • Roster of Beloved Characters – Players can choose from a wide selection of Chocobo series characters.
    • Magical magicite – By collecting magicite, found within Magic Eggs scattered around the various tracks, racers will be imbued with magic, such as Fire or Aero, which can be used against their fellow racers to give them a competitive edge and speed to the finish.
    https://square-enix-games.com/chocobo-gp/en-us/

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Is it me or does this just feel like a reskin/model swap of Mario Kart? It's the way the camera and/or movement and the physics makes it just seem like so.

Regardless, I suppose if it's a working formula, why change it. I don't have a switch BUT i'll be interested in picking up the soundtrack for this game for the remixes, they sound quite good!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Is it me or does this just feel like a reskin/model swap of Mario Kart? It's the way the camera and/or movement and the physics makes it just seem like so.

Regardless, I suppose if it's a working formula, why change it. I don't have a switch BUT i'll be interested in picking up the soundtrack for this game for the remixes, they sound quite good!
    It has changed that much since the first one dropped on PlayStation.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh shit I wasn't aware it was a PS1 game!!! It looks a bit faster on the PS1; I personally find all Mario Karts to be "slow" no matter how fast you go (even the 200cc modes). This however I admit is a personal symptom of playing far too much F-ZeroX and F-Zero GX, but still, with Choco GP being now uplifted to this doesn't feel fast.

Though this is just some running commentary/thoughts. I know it's more of a party/fun game than a proper racer so I can't really fault it for what it is and expect everything to be F-Zero. It does look a lot more adorable now so it would be fun to see what cameos appear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The PS1 version had
    Cloud, Squall, Aya Brea (Parasite Eve), and a few other "hidden characters." Hope they can bring even more this time. But they'll probably be DLC.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Now's our chance to simp for Chrono characters.

inb4 Geno

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Releasing March 10, 2022.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

SE has some balls to release a kart racer exclusively on Switch, on the same day where it's main competitor in that genre happens to be celebrating with a sale.

Well, that and also treating it like a F2P game with a battle pass and log-in rewards. Cloud is stuck behind the grind-wall at present, unsure if it's on the premium reward track or the free one though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    SE has some balls to release a kart racer exclusively on Switch, on the same day where it's main competitor in that genre happens to be celebrating with a sale.
    Wouldn't it be more logical to think the sale might be happening because of this release? I doubt the sale was announced ages ago so it's not like SE could plan around it or even move the release date now because of it. Also, I'm just assuming you're speaking about Mario Kart, which btw. has no sale happening over here atm, so it's not like this affects all the regions.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/Terotrous/status...Gh1D6V3fa1gglw

This tweet is a half truth. The premium currency SE gifts new players has an expiration date, but any purchased currency does not.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    I doubt the sale was announced ages ago
    Might have been a regional thing. March 10th has been "Mario day" (Mar10) the past couple years in NA here, and usually is associated with sales on most Mario titles, which was the case again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    This tweet is a half truth. The premium currency SE gifts new players has an expiration date, but any purchased currency does not.
    That's still a really stupid thing to do. If you don't want people holding it out and budgeting it towards future battle passes after adding a little but more dosh, then don't give a free amount in the first place?

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

This whole game sounds like a freemium shitshow full of terrible microtransactions. Like you have the big "buy a ton of mythril and get some bonus mythril" shit for $80some dollars.

On a full priced game.

Get the FUCK out of here with this stupid ass shit.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Like you have the big "buy a ton of mythril and get some bonus mythril" shit for $80some dollars.
    You mean like every game that has premium currency?

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Plus you know, a 5 month expiration date on “free” premium currency which is kinda low. I’ve played mobile games with expiring pull tickets and such but dang, not currency. That’s one way to force people to pay and not be able to save up. Kinda scummy ngl, they can basically plan the launch of certain content around their expiring currency gifts to force people to pay if they want it.

Man I really hate freemium economies in full priced games but it’s basically just the norm now.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    You mean like every game that has premium currency?
    I mostly only play RPG's, if other games/genres are doing that shit too they all need to burn in a fire.

It's nuts that I think we're in a Square Enix renaissance with their main big titles being incredible or at least financially successful, but they've had quite the amount of duds this year. Balan Wonderland, this game, and Babylon's Fall is really tarnishing their reputation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I mean, is the game actually "Bad" though, I get that the micro transactions are shitty, but is the game itself fun? looks like a generic kart racer game, but I played the hell out of the original chocobo racing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drai View Post
    but is the game itself fun? looks like a generic kart racer game.
    Pretty much this

Critical user reviews are all about the microtransactions.