Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WSNM     submit to reddit submit to twitter

WSNM

Just a pretty avg newbie question, if you have + skill and/or merits in a combat skill, can you accept the wsnm quest if your of level? Oh also the job is able to wear weapon not one of those hay i want savage blade on my nin sorta things. Just dont wanna wait til 73 to get gun of trials on cor < <[/b]

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

no you can't for +skill but for merits in combat skill i'm not that sure

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Re: WSNM

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    Just a pretty avg newbie question, if you have + skill and/or merits in a combat skill, can you accept the wsnm quest if your of level? Oh also the job is able to wear weapon not one of those hay i want savage blade on my nin sorta things. Just dont wanna wait til 73 to get gun of trials on cor < <[/b]
    Merits work afaik.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

You would get savage blade earlier on nin, assuming they have it in the first place and it's unlocked. I'm 90% certain one thf in our ls got Evisceration at level 69 because he had it merited from rdm.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry ;x

If your skill is merited then it increases your base skill, and thus the game will recognize it as such. If you merit your Marksmanship to the proper skill level for the quest, and you're at least LV71, you can do it.

Unfortunately I can confirm that merits are not counted for the purposes of opening WSNM.

During my leveling of DRG, I added 2 polearm merits and skilled up on my L75 SAM, so that I could open Impulse Drive and have it once DRG reached that level of skill. Despite +4 skill, I could not open the Impulse Drive WSNM until base skill without merits reached real 240 (244 with merits).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

are you of at least 71 before talking to the npc?

Quote Originally Posted by Aihree
    Unfortunately I can confirm that merits are not counted for the purposes of opening WSNM.

During my leveling of DRG, I added 2 polearm merits and skilled up on my L75 SAM, so that I could open Impulse Drive and have it once DRG reached that level of skill. Despite +4 skill, I could not open the Impulse Drive WSNM until base skill without merits reached real 240 (244 with merits).
    Did you try opening the quest as SAM and not DRG? Because this dosent' seem right, I know a few people that were able to get their WS earlier because of merits.

It was as SAM. Reached 236 base skill in a besieged session (240 total with merits) and ran right to South Sandy where the quest was opened. It took a few more skillup sessions to reach base 240 (the max cap for a SAM75, and the level required to open polearm WSNM), and the NPC finally gave it to me.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zap Brannigan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think u cant get the ws quest with merit because when you are getting skill up on ur weapon that has merit it and it lvls it tells u the lvl w/o the merit, but if u have the quest ws on other job u can use it early. I might be wrong since i merit axe on drk for war and i did the decimation NM with drk, but my point is that when i did the skill up it shows the weapon lvl w/o merit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm 100% positive that you need to have the base skill (merits aren't counted) to open the WSNM quest.

I had 226 (listed as 230 b/c of merits) staff skill as 75 SMN, go and talk to Shantotto, and she won't give me the quest. I get to 234 (again, actually 230) and she gives the quest. Also if you get a full skill level up it lists your pre-merit base skill.

A job that can use a WS will be able to use it at whatever level their merits bump it down to.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yes, you need the actual base skill to open a WSNM quest even if you already have the appropriate level and skill level through meriting. Merits are considered much the same way as equipment. A good example:

I have 8 MP merits, and was leveling my lv15 NIN in the dunes. Seeing as its the Dunes, I eventually died, but got raised. While weakness was on, I still had 10 MP, even though MP usually gets a 50% reduction while you're weakened.

souleman

I just ran into the same thing on Savage Blade. Had 238 base skill, 1 merit in sword to give 240 skill. Tried to start the quest and it wouldn't work. Got base to 240 (242 with the merit), and I was able to start the quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Yes, you need the actual base skill to open a WSNM quest even if you already have the appropriate level and skill level through meriting. Merits are considered much the same way as equipment.
    I must've misunderstood something then, my apologies.