I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Why complain about the economy, when you can prosper?

Take advantage of the prices, eh?

So all the prices of items are rising, ok? Buy and sell, anyone in to stocks?

A little over a month ago, Hauby on Ragnarok was 2.9m, I bought it for my BST. I have a bad habit of doing this, I check the AH price of an item a week or so later, to see if I got screwed, or got a deal. The price rose to 3.2m, not a big leap, but it was rising. I took a look at the igredients, and saw they were all rising. Noticing the current trends of the AH items (EVERYTHING rising in price) I made an investment and bought 2 more.

As of now, just a little over a month later, Hauby is almost 6.5m and steadily rising, who knows when it will stop.

So if you have the money, buy stuff, hold on to it, and sell later.

Honestly though, I feel really bad for new players. Remember back in the day when we had to buy our first SH, or hauby, HQ staffs, etc? It was a pain in the ass to shovel out that 1~3m for those items. And these new players (meh their just spanish anyway, theyre used to getting screwed) are having a hell of a time getting those items.

Granted, the price of things that we used to farm rise in cost too, 60k for silk stack, when it was 5k years ago, so I guess it evens out.

I dunno, it's earlly, im bored, and all you bastards smell funny.

That's what I did with cassie earring...it's now 10 million, a cool 4 million profit so far (maybe 12 by the time I finish writing this).

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    That's what I did with cassie earring...it's now 10 million, a cool 4 million profit so far (maybe 12 by the time I finish writing this).
    I do this ALL the time. But in reality your not really making gil. Your just adjusting your worth to cover the loss you would take holding gil instead of items because of inflasion.

Ive been doing this since things were priced decent. Holding onto gil is a horrible idea with how fast prices adjust on our server.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Bought a V Claw for 9 mil about a week ago, no HQ so I Bazzar'd for 9.5 mil. That sold over night. V Claw went to 10mil the next day, bought one and my buddy HQ'd (His first HQ :D ). Claws on Valefor hit 12 mil before I left for vaction, god only knows what they are at now, but I am guessing that my SH+1 is now worth 25mil.

<3 RMTers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeal
    I do this ALL the time. But in reality your not really making gil. Your just adjusting your worth to cover the loss you would take holding gil instead of items because of inflasion.

Ive been doing this since things were priced decent. Holding onto gil is a horrible idea with how fast prices adjust on our server.
    It would be if what we're experiencing right now is true inflation, which I don't think it is. I just think it's gil concentration, with the high end items being overpriced compared to the rest of the economy. And because I don't need any big ticket items for my jobs (blm is pimped out, and lvl'ing whm but already have my nobles), I am in reality making gil that will be put into crafting, someday.

Xavier

That only really works if the entire market isn't getting exponentially higher. All that accomplishes is increases your net worth without inreasing your purchasing power, since everything else is expensive as well.

As stated before, simple enough, in no fancy or exotic fashion, you want items, not gil... Friend of mine bought 14 Sniper Rings at 500k and they just recently hit 2.5m. Sure, you need quite a lot to invest, but look at how they pay off... After just one item round you have enough to inveset in the bigger items, and then you're pretty much set.

Right now I'm happy that I'm so anal about buying gear for the jobs I level (SAM had multi-millions in gear before hitting Lv.40) because, upon selling off all the gear from my other jobs, I'm able to concentrate on one with a whole lot more cash than before.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Some items kinda seem immune to the increase in prices though. Case in point.... I can sell a serket ring to buy a nobles tunic.... WTF.

Black Belt
    BG Level

the rich get rich and the poor get poorer. only people who are rich in the first place have this luxury. this is not a complaint just an observation. and i actually think SE intended things to be this way.

unless those 1st job players are also very intelligent at making gil (which most people are not). they want first job MNKs not to have Ochidoe's Kote, they want first job WARs not to have Haubergeon, they want first job NINs not to have Scorpion Harness.

that's not even such a bad thing really, people on their 2nd and 3rd jobs with a lot of gil should be distinguishable from people on their 1st jobs.

what is bad though and what SE probably didn't account for is that people who don't have those items often get denied party invites and often either quit or end up RMTing. neither of which is good for the game.

but yeah, already rich people should invest their gil, in crafts and in items, sitting on gil doesn't do much for you but these aren't really the people with the problem.

because most people either arent smart enough to do this, or cant afford to start now

im in group 2

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Re: Why complain about the economy, when you can prosper?

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Take advantage of the prices, eh?

Honestly though, I feel really bad for new players. Remember back in the day when we had to buy our first SH, or hauby, HQ staffs, etc? It was a pain in the ass to shovel out that 1~3m for those items. And these new players (meh their just spanish anyway, theyre used to getting screwed) are having a hell of a time getting those items.
    I think you will find these people are the ones driving up the price...
    So many Gilbuyers out there, its untrue...back in the day people used to list expencive stuff under ah price, then they knew it would sell.
    Now they can jack it up and they know it will... people just rmt more if they need it (this is how it is on titan anyway)

Example, Some random guy i saw shouting in jeuno today... lv64 RDM rank 6 he was shouting 25mil for s SH+1 to buy so i did a little research
    basicly he has no hnm and is a relitivily new player, so hows he get 25mil?
    *cough* now the last sale on ah was 21mil. so one could say he alone is able to push up the price 4mil with his rmt gil
    Lets face it, rdm dont need a SH and had he farmed all this gil there is no way he would have been so quick to offer 4mil more... thats like 4 months farming! (at his lv)

My point? the people who you feal sorry for are the ones causing the problem, ya its nice to make your gil and grats

Its like the whole chicken and egg thing, what came first? whos to blame?
    Personaly i hate the buyers 100% more than the sellers

The way i look at FFXI has changed because of RMT gil, nolonger do i look at sellable items and think wow hes pimped! its all about the rare/ex

IF you dont have good rare/ex to prove you camped and "worked" for said item, you fucking suck.

mined my ass off at 63warrior bought an ingot for my second haub (sold first and o.kote to buy lu shangs), got it HQ'ed, haub was 1.6mil, HQ was 4. now Haub+1 is 16mil and rising
    i bought S.H.+1 for 15mil, now SH+1 looks like it'll hit 20million or higher.

bought two flame rings for 1.2m each, got my rajas a few weeks ago and sold one for 3mil

<3 inflation, the secret is to keep as much gil as possible invested in inflating items. knew a guy that took a 6month break from FFXI to go into the military, bought 2 SH for 4million and 6 snipers for 500k. now he's sitting on 24million profit from that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice

Some items kinda seem immune to the increase in prices though. Case in point.... I can sell a serket ring to buy a nobles tunic.... WTF.
    High price slow sales items with high lvls to equip tend to be steady. Enhansing sword, Nobles Tunic, (also read "can only be used by certain jobs")

High volume high price items mid to low level tend to go up. Especially non BCNM drop items for some reason.

I remember one summer lots of NA were hitting lvl 50s, Do i basically bought the AH out of dark staves and reposted them, drove the price up tons. Very very easy way to make money, but not exactly nice. As a whm main this was my best alternative to farming for a couple weeks to make almost nothing.

I didnt exactly make many friends using this method to make gil, so I stopped doing it after the dark staves, but it was very effective and just shows you how impatient people are, they would rather pay another 50-100k (which was a TON at the time) then wait for someone to post it at a lower price.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

That doesn't accomplish anything at all.

1. As has been stated, you're not getting any richer at all. A Verm Cloak and a SH used to cost around the same price a year ago, depending on server. Now both are twice as expensive, but still cost similar prices, relative to each. So you've always had a Verm Cloak, sell it to level your NIN with a SH. What have you gained? Nothing at all. The only thing you're really doing is putting a bigger number next to your name when you pull up the equipment screen if you sell these items. Hurray for big numbers and all that crap, but it doesn't mean anything.

2. Inflation IS a problem, regardless of what some people tell you. Because it is not just the expensive items that are all rising relative to each. Now you've got items like Survival Belt going up. An item that used to be vendored by most people. An item that was on the AH in the dozens at the weak price of a stack of fire crystals. An item that is now near a million on servers. 900,000 on mine, from 5,000. That's 18000% inflation. Five figure inflation is ass, especially on items that used to be, essentially, worthless.

3. Inflation screws over the crafting economy as well. Many stages of crafting used to be essentially free from selling back to vendor. Now, those same stages are absolutely horrendous. Just disgusting. It's preventing a ton of new crafters from entering the high ranks, new crafters who could add competition for the already existant veteran crafters. Creating a natural monopoly setting without the high crafters even trying. Not only skillers, but people who are already veteran get screwed as well. Cause when they HQ certain items, they sell all the NQ back to vendor. This becomes a greater loss for them to try and HQ, so in turn, when they do HQ, you get even higher prices than before. It's an endless cycle of contributing to more and more inflation.

4. Selling back an item is all fine and dandy... until you decide you need it again. Selling that Verm Cloak since you finally got yourself a Noble's Tunic? Wait two months, and SE releases a new thing that requires 60 cap... oh DAMN. Wait another two months and you decide you want to level SMN... oh DAMN. Quite honestly, some of the items in the game are very close to the be-all, end-all, and it becomes a pain in the ass to try and sell them away.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Seeing as we're both on Ragnarok and the topic is Haubergeon I thought I'd drop this pic in;

Five Damascus Ingots in just over 24 hours? And I always thought the duping claims were in jest!

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

You might not be making gil, but you are indeed losing gil by letting it sit on your char.

I, in no way, agree that all this inflation in any way is a good thing. As one poster said a few posts back all this does is lead to RMT or quitting for the new players. I have played the game since August of 04 and when I played the costs of things were obviously much cheaper. Examples were the leaping boots and emperor pins which were around ~300k or so. Now yes I would have loved to purchase 2 then to keep one and sell the other now for a profit and continue this money making scheme, but of course I could not.
    As the poster said earlier the rich just keep getting richer and it is these people that lead to RMT. You say this is the buyer's fault because they don't wait for prices to drop? Give me a fucking break! Every single DRK or SAM who doesn't get invited to an XP party because they don't have snipers or haubs is supposed to not buy one and wait until prices drop. If you think this you are the most naive person of fucking time. SE could very easily put caps on prices of certain items and balance out the economy if they wanted but they do not. So again I agree that the rich keep getting richer and continue exploiting this game.
    All newer players can hope for is a great thing of drops on KS30 from the greedy, elitist blms (thats another story) and come out with 7 or 8 mill that they can begin to invest, but what are the chances for that to happen? 1 in 5 chances maybe of a V Claw from Desert Swarm?
    I am not a new player as I have said but I usually stay around 200-400k.. how much can I do with that? I love the game for the game and thats why I keep playing, I am not going to RMT, but I am just one player and I am not naive, unlike many of you posters who think its the buyers fault.. maybe if the sellers would start to lessen prices and lessen the need for lucky drops in a KSNM or BCNM drop pool then the game would be more enjoyable for everyone...... but as I said, I am not naive and I know this would never occur, but just don't bullshit yourself in trying to blame this on the buyers just trying to have fun in the game to alleviate the stress that you have caused for a level 40 DRK who cannot afford his snipers without RMT. His only options are quitting or farming for 5 months.. I am starting to sound like a broken record, but I say again don't bullshit me or yourself or everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    ...or quitting for the new players.
    how many beehive chips did i toss or NPC for 15gil when i was a noob and they weren't worth maybe 500 a stack.

now with silent oils beeing the price they are this is a cash crop for starting out players.

the inflation just meets a trickle-down effect.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    ...or quitting for the new players.
    how many beehive chips did i toss or NPC for 15gil when i was a noob and they weren't worth maybe 500 a stack.

now with silent oils beeing the price they are this is a cash crop for starting out players.

the inflation just meets a trickle-down effect.

I used to NPC silk thread :/

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

All newer players can hope for is a great thing of drops on KS30 from the greedy, elitist blms (thats another story) and come out with 7 or 8 mill that they can begin to invest, but what are the chances for that to happen? 1 in 5 chances maybe of a V Claw from Desert Swarm?
    LOL Those damn greedy blm's...
    what do they get from HNM"S ?? A.Hn, thats it.
    and yet every HNMLS needs BLM's.

And XP they dont really make 12k / hr like war pt or mnk pt do...oh, they used to make 11k/hr, but SE nerfed that shit, because greedy people complained about it. A good BLM pt does like 8k/hr, which is barely more than a standard party.

BLM's are everything BUT greedy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast