+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HD (HDTV) info     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

HD (HDTV) info

Well, I've had a HDTV for about a year or so and the only thing I've used it for is xbox and now the 360. When i got it, I didnt know much about HD and what not. Anyway, I saw something that got me curious and since my tv is capable of HD, I wanna hook it up so I can watch some shows that they air like CSI, 24 etc in HD.

So, What do I need? Right now I have Digital Cable and they offer Fox HD, CBS HD etc but I will have to pay extra for it. I was doing using google to search for info around but still got a few questions that I would like answering.

Basically, I need a HD Reciever correct? How much do they go for. I was checking on ebay and see a good deal of them go for $100+. Are there any ones out there that are cheaper? Will I need a special antenna?

Would it be cheaper to just call my cable company and just ask them to give me the HD channels?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have an HD recevier and a regular TV. Oh the irony.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    I have an HD recevier and a regular TV. Oh the irony.

That's helping me much!

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I try.

My HD Recivere (Direct TV, not Cable) costed $350. Had to upgrade my dish too. I'm not sure of price on cable boxes.

You don't need a special antenna, unless you wan't to pick up local channels in HDTV (duh), which sounds like you might want. Though, you might wan't to check your local stations make sure they broadcast in HD. But cable should give you HD local channels (I think, have never had cable).

I don't know much if you need a tuner for your antenna, mine plugged into my direc tv and works perfectly.

I really like my local channels, the main news station puts on 3 channels. 1-Normal HDTV of their station, 2-Their road cam over the interstate, 3-Another one of their cam in downtown toledo. Always broadcasting.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

i have time warner and they don't make you pay extra for the hd reciever or the channels but they do not offer fox or abc at all because they are in some money dispute of their own with them. so go that direction if you want to miss out of 24 in hd.

Akiro

hi yummy ^^

I work for a cable company...

If your cable provider works anywhere close like mine does, your gonna need the HD receiver AND the HD channel package. Your best bet: Call them and ask whats the deal.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

thx for nfo. I'm gonna check it out.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

i've got time warner cable in nyc with HDTV + "Dbest package"

They have another package with indemand hd and some other hd movies over this one

gives you HBOHD, Discovery Channel HD + a few local channels in HD

I don't think we get wpix (channel 11) in HD or fox and abc

basically HD content = really really slim atm

Also make sure you use the right cables otherwise you are getting Standard Definition.

i.e. Component / DVI / HDMI

Only Discovery HD consitantly has good PQ btw

Hey Ziggy

I live in Queens, NY and have the D-Lite Package ($39.99) = basic service, some cable channels also an ass load of free on Demand shit.. [its f'n crazy] (excluding some packages ala sports/latin/outdoor shit)

Then I have earthlink hi-speed cable for $41.99 and the all Premium Channel Package for 37.99
    (HBO,Showtime,Cinemax,TMC,Starz,Encore + all the on Demand too)

Cost me around $120 bucks, full package = $150-175 per month

Best bet if you want is to the the Triple Play get Phone/Cable Service/Cabline Line ($99.99) then add triple package for 37.99, so that equals $150 even and no more worries.... unless cable goes out = no phone line ><

Also ask them for specials/deals thru the operator (they always have 1 going)

I get CBS,FOX,NBC,ABC,Discovery,HBO,Showtime in HD [it doesnt hurt that I have 61" Flat Screen TV to make it feel segsi <.>;;;]

Or if you want pure..pure HD only channels you got this:

http://www.voom.com/vhdo/index.jsp

I don't know what you guys mean that Fox and local channels aren't in HD with Time Warner. I have Time Warner and I am always watching 24 and the olympics on the HD channels. As well as Showtime, HBO and ESPN. good times.
    Zigma, you also need S-Video cables or an HDMI cable to get HD. You hook these from your cable box to the tv itself. The standard coax and audio/video cables are not enough for it.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh one more thing, my total bill for all the movie channels, and hd everything that is offered is about $125 (that includes high speed internet too) and Time Warner provides the box which is like $13 a month in that 125 month. Again hope this helps.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    I don't know what you guys mean that Fox and local channels aren't in HD with Time Warner. I have Time Warner and I am always watching 24 and the olympics on the HD channels. As well as Showtime, HBO and ESPN. good times.
    Zigma, you also need S-Video cables or an HDMI cable to get HD. You hook these from your cable box to the tv itself. The standard coax and audio/video cables are not enough for it.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh one more thing, my total bill for all the movie channels, and hd everything that is offered is about $125 (that includes high speed internet too) and Time Warner provides the box which is like $13 a month in that 125 month. Again hope this helps.
    I have all that. I was looking into it but then i got thinking how I don't watch much tv to begin with so....

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

HD is Component (3 rca jacks red/green/blue) / DVI / HDMI only afaik but I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    you also need S-Video cables or an HDMI cable to get HD. The standard coax and audio/video cables are not enough for it.
    Semi-Wrong. S-Video is NOT HD.

Only cabling that will work HD are what previous poster said.

Thing to note: You will also need the red/white RCA cables for the left and right stereo sound if your using the Component or DVI cables, but you won't need em if your going HDMI.

And if you want recomendation from someone that works in the buisness, stay the FUCK AWAY from HDMI. Costs a fortune and tis a bunch of troubles, and believe me when I say the guys at best buy will try to sell you one. for a single cable, it costs anywhere between 150 to 500$ for a respectable HDMI cable. Yes, for 1 cord. And you'll probably wont even notice the picture quality difference.

Go component, that way you'll avoid any possible incompatibility between TVs and decoders about the HDCP versions. (And has bonus of beeing easy and cheap aside from the fact you have 5 wires instead of just 1)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

<.<

Good/Cheap cables

http://www.bluejeanscable.com

and DVI / HDMI cables

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm
    6 foot for 32.00$
    50 Foot for 163.00$

I bought DVI-D and speaker cables from them and they are exactly what you are ordering without all the pretty pretty packaging/advertising you get from Monster/AR etc etc ...

They will also make cables they don't have.

Well the only stuff we get in canada is that monster cable crap. (and the prices I said were in CAN$, before taxes)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

you are in luck =P

they ship to canada

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/international.htm

Just in case you wanted to save a few bucks in the future.

Aint for me, but for my the clients of the place i work with. They buy themselves the decoder at their local Best Buy or Future Shop, and the salesman will sell him the overpriced monster at the same time. When he gets home and the shit hits the fan, i'm sure that link will be very handy when i'm telling the customer he got robbed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

meh, some people insist they can hear clouds rubbing together