1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

BG EXCLUSIVE: Naoki Yoshida MORE Questions and Answers

As promised, Naoki Yoshida answered the rest of our questions from our massive list. A few were left out as they were either duplicates of ones already answered or they couldnt answer. But, without further delay, more questions for you, the might BG.

1. Will Archer/Ranger get a proper auto attack or still be forced to punch with their fist, anineffective method of fighting for someone with a bow?

We are currently looking into this for the class revamps that we will implemented in patch 1.20. This is something that has been requested by many people, so we have given it much thought, but it may take us a while to solve this due to the problem of expending arrows. We will continue to work towards a solution.

2. How long will we have to wait to see the new 2.0 engine in movement?

It’s difficult to determine exactly when we’ll be able to reveal it to the public. The graphics engine will be completed internally by the development team by December 2011. However, the client will be worked on until February 2012 and we have to perform graphic-related quality adjustments before we release it to the public. We feel that players would be disappointed if we don’t release a more finalized version by performing shader and ambient adjustments and balancing the HUD. We would like to present our new engine when it is close to being finalized. Development is going smoothly.

3. On the concept screenshot of the UI, the party unit frames and general UI seem vastly improved. However there are two glaring features that seem to be missing. One, the multiple action bars on screen at all times seems to have been forgotten, and two, the party unit frames have very abstract buff/debuffs. Timers on the unit frames are a welcome sight, but aside from protect and shell, I cannot differentiate anything about the buffs/debuffs. Will they be hoverable with tooltip information? What happened with showing multiple action bars on the screen at one time? Toggling the action bar is incredibly inefficient for PC users.

Our recently released UI screenshot is simply a representation of the default settings. It would have been possible to display multiple action bars, but we felt that doing so would take up too much screen space and hide parts of the characters. As such, we only displayed one action bar. Also, a help pop up will be displayed when you mouseover the icons. This function has been implemented in the current client and is pending text entry. Thus, you will not have to wait until 2.0, as we are planning a patch 1.20 or 1.20a release. Buffs/debuffs will also be easier to understand.

4. The current build of XIV has underutilized going inside buildings. Most of the shops are outside in tiny stalls. Will 2.0 utilize buildings as actual objects that we can traverse inside, or will buildings still remain a graphical box that we just look at?

Buildings will definitely be utilized more as objects that can be explored. Previously, we had issues with scheduling and memory that prevented us from developing the insides of buildings, but in general we plan on developing the insides of buildings in the future. Of course there will still be buildings that you can’t enter, but we plan on greatly increasing the number of buildings that you can traverse inside.

5. Several important content filling topics listed on the 2.0 PDFs are coming "after 2.0." How long "after 2.0" are we talking for many of these features?

This depends on the content and system, but basically all of the content and system functions we revealed recently are our highest priority items, so we plan on implementing them in rapid succession within 2 months of the release of 2.0. In the early stages of 2.0, raid expansions, housing and PvP will be implemented.

6. Will you implement walking/active/talking NPCs, by way of adding some life to the cities/world?

Yes, in 2.0, NPCs will be more involved in conversations and there will be increased animations all around. Our new engine will allow all NPCs to be active, but it may get irritating if NPCs move around too much, so only certain NPCs will be updated. We plan on adding more life to the world through these changes.

7. Will there be a reputation system where the game acknowledges that you have saved the world multiple times and isn’t some random adventurer walking down the street?

We have thought about this, but we will prioritize ranking based on achievements and ladder ranking. We feel like the ranking system is very similar to a reputation system.

8. Will you abolish the silly 'One character, one content ID, more money" rule so that people can have multiple alts on one subscription?

This is an issue that we are currently looking into. A concept of a play time card is also necessary, so we are looking at this progressively. We may also offer a billing package of basic subscription + multiple characters. However, these changes will be reflected with the release of 2.0. We will announce the details as soon as we decide on them.

New Odin
    BG Level

dancing around the questions as always

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The amount of dialog going on between Yoshida and the playerbase is very refreshing. I'm also glad to see so many "Yes we are doing this, considering this, or attempting this" in regards to player demands. Such a refresher from the XI era of SE.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

That is a good thing, but I always feel a slither of caution. I feel game devs should just make a game and let the players deal with it and then tweak based on 80% game balance issues and maybe 20% player desire.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

you certainly must admit this game is the exception though?

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    The amount of dialog going on between Yoshida and the playerbase is very refreshing. I'm also glad to see so many "Yes we are doing this, considering this, or attempting this" in regards to player demands. Such a refresher from the XI era of SE.
    Agreed, when we were playing XI they were only talking to JP magazines (and even those were rare). It's nice to see that they're a lot more open this time around.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    you certainly must admit this game is the exception though?
    I'm willing to submit to a 60/40 split on this one since they want to make money and originally had NFC how to actually make a MMO. But as the game goes in the direction Yoshi-P wants, we should play the game he's gonna give us and our influence on the decision-making process shouldn't have as much weight as it does now.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yeah i agree for the most part. if it wasn't for his endless enthusiasm and his general approach (creativity, communication, and transparency) i'd be a lot more worried about the game's direction.

once the major issues are all fixed up i'd definitely have faith in him to run the game as he sees fit without as much input as he's getting now.

New Odin
    BG Level

creativity wtf dude

professionalism is more like it

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

1. Will Archer/Ranger get a proper auto attack or still be forced to punch with their fist, anineffective method of fighting for someone with a bow?

We are currently looking into this for the class revamps that we will implemented in patch 1.20. This is something that has been requested by many people, so we have given it much thought, but it may take us a while to solve this due to the problem of expending arrows. We will continue to work towards a solution.
    I wonder why Yoshida thinks consumable arrows is the best way to go in this game.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tearshang Pourlamour
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    I wonder why Yoshida thinks consumable arrows is the best way to go in this game.
    I could only guess that maybe they believe taking something like that away from crafters and out of the economy would be too much of a downside? But that's just me trying to guess what they are thinking. I have no clue.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

This problem is simple... Have a base arrow that never runs out but it weak. That way the player will never run out. However make it drastically weak as a back up similar to how scavenge gives you arrows. You're just using enhanced arrows that run out after that. Solved the issue hurray. It's basically having gear that degrades, but you repair it by refilling arrows.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonystar View Post
    This problem is simple... Have a base arrow that never runs out but it weak. That way the player will never run out. However make it drastically weak as a back up similar to how scavenge gives you arrows. You're just using enhanced arrows that run out after that. Solved the issue hurray. It's basically having gear that degrades, but you repair it by refilling arrows.
    Close to what I was thinking. I thought using an ammo system similar to FFXII would be a good alternative to.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I don't even see the problem with consumable arrows running out. I rarely run out when I play ARC. Running out is an issue regardless of auto attack. Sounds more like an excuse.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Tearshang View Post
    I could only guess that maybe they believe taking something like that away from crafters and out of the economy would be too much of a downside? But that's just me trying to guess what they are thinking. I have no clue.
    they could make different quivers that requires 'repair' if broken it shoots weak arrows. Make it degrade like a normal weapon.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

An infinite ammo quiver-type secondary item would at least shut up all the people who argue "ARC shouldn't be so weak when I'm throwing XXgil every time I do damage Q_Q Q_Q Q_Q"

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I don't even see the problem with consumable arrows running out. I rarely run out when I play ARC. Running out is an issue regardless of auto attack. Sounds more like an excuse.
    And with all the slots available it shouldn't be hard to program quivers or something that automatically consume themselves and restock your ammo slot when you run out of ammo.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    dancing around the questions as always
    Not sure if serious...

It looks like they answered the questions directly. They may be false promises, but the answers were direct. Also, they made statements without the "this will be awesome" trend that many community managers have started using (looking at you WoW, Rift and SW:TOR).

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Not sure if serious...

It looks like they answered the questions directly. They may be false promises, but the answers were direct. Also, they made statements without the "this will be awesome" trend that many community managers have started using (looking at you WoW, Rift and SW:TOR).

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Thanks for setting up the interview and sharing with us.

As long as reputation doesn't involve reputation grinding, I'm okay with it.