+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Annihilator (Gun Control Thread- NOT SHOOTINGS)

Obama delivers speech on gun control:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/politi...rol/index.html

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

"And the constant excuses for inaction no longer do. No longer suffice. That's why we're here today. Not to debate the last mass shooting, but to do something prevent the next one"

Thank fucking god someone finally did something to make a step.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...e-and-make-our

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pro-gun...ment-1.3390529

Entertaining, if not sad, interview

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    "And the constant excuses for inaction no longer do. No longer suffice. That's why we're here today. Not to debate the last mass shooting, but to do something prevent the next one"

Thank fucking god someone finally did something to make a step.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...e-and-make-our

What about it makes you feel like they are doing anything? To me it just seems like the "political" thing to do. A lot of smoke and mirrors. In my experience NICS was never "out-of-service", especially when they switched from the phone system to the internet based platform. And they didn't shutdown the gun show loop hole they just gave a stern warning about making a business out of it. It's still perfectly legal (in my state) to go on facebook groups or armslist and post up what I have for sale and not have to perform a background check. It's always been the law that I couldn't make enough money to be seen as a business, so I'm not really sure what all the build up was about. It really sounded like the same things he put up after Sandy Hook.

I wonder if it was all out of necessity to just say something about gun control to appease the anti's and stir up the pro's. The joke had always been that he was the truest friend to the gun industry. I'm sure there will be folks out there buying like crazy right now thinking it's worse than it is.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post

This guy just equated the mentally ill to criminals.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    What about it makes you feel like they are doing anything? To me it just seems like the "political" thing to do. A lot of smoke and mirrors. In my experience NICS was never "out-of-service", especially when they switched from the phone system to the internet based platform. And they didn't shutdown the gun show loop hole they just gave a stern warning about making a business out of it. It's still perfectly legal (in my state) to go on facebook groups or armslist and post up what I have for sale and not have to perform a background check. It's always been the law that I couldn't make enough money to be seen as a business, so I'm not really sure what all the build up was about.
    I'm sure there are people posing as "hobbyists" that should be required to get an FFL, this is basically a warning shot at them. But yeah, probably insignificant.

Didn't Dylan Roof "legally" buy guns because the 72 hours passed without his BG check clearing when it should have been denied? I'm assuming the added manpower for BG checks is to help people like that from slipping through the cracks.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

What about it makes you feel like they are doing anything? To me it just seems like the "political" thing to do. A lot of smoke and mirrors. In my experience NICS was never "out-of-service", especially when they switched from the phone system to the internet based platform. And they didn't shutdown the gun show loop hole they just gave a stern warning about making a business out of it. It's still perfectly legal (in my state) to go on facebook groups or armslist and post up what I have for sale and not have to perform a background check. It's always been the law that I couldn't make enough money to be seen as a business, so I'm not really sure what all the build up was about. It really sounded like the same things he put up after Sandy Hook.

I wonder if it was all out of necessity to just say something about gun control to appease the anti's and stir up the pro's. The joke had always been that he was the truest friend to the gun industry. I'm sure there will be folks out there buying like crazy right now thinking it's worse than it is.
    seriously this, wondering how many of you took advantage of the obvious jump in gun stocks as a result of this speech.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    seriously this, wondering how many of you took advantage of the obvious jump in gun stocks as a result of this speech.
    I wish I did. I know when Sandy Hook happened, AR-15's sold out immediately in california. The best thing to happen to the gun industry is to have another mass shooting.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Didn't Dylan Roof "legally" buy guns because the 72 hours passed without his BG check clearing when it should have been denied? I'm assuming the added manpower for BG checks is to help people like that from slipping through the cracks.
    Not completely sure about that particular instance, but technically if you receive a "delay" response from NICS then the seller can transfer after 72 hours, as NICS is supposed to call back with a definitive response of Proceed/Deny. A bigger step would be to remove the delay transfer process, imo.

Anecdotes:
    Personally I've never done this despite running into that on many occasions(more on that to follow) because we didn't want to have to go through the rigmarole of getting it solved. Personally, I was pretty hard on folks trying to buy from me, if you said something stupid you weren't buying from me. Hell, I'd even step in on sales that didn't have my name attached. I had probably 9 people perma-banned from buying (mostly straw sales, but I had one guy that told me he was going to kill his son so I had him fill out the form so I had all his info to report) and sent many home for all sorts of errors on the form or ID. Delays got sympathy but no slack. I had one guy that was a "Perma-delay" in which NICS would never call back, ever. So I gave him information that I would normally give someone who felt they were denied erroneously, so he could get a PIN through NICS to which he could receive a proceed. That's a huge ordeal when he could go to any other shop and get it transferred after 72 hours.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I wish I did. I know when Sandy Hook happened, AR-15's sold out immediately in california. The best thing to happen to the gun industry is to have another mass shooting.
    No thanks. It can survive just fine without that.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

No thanks. It can survive just fine without that.
    Might have been taken out of context, but every time there is a shooting, the NRA goes all "They guna take er guns" and sales go through the roof. It's like fucking black friday every time we have a shooting. And as someone who enjoys guns, enjoys shooting them, etc, it actually makes me a little ill how people go straight to tin foil hatting and buy out every "assault rifle" they can.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Might have been taken out of context, but every time there is a shooting, the NRA goes all "They guna take er guns" and sales go through the roof. It's like fucking black friday every time we have a shooting. And as someone who enjoys guns, enjoys shooting them, etc, it actually makes me a little ill how people go straight to tin foil hatting and buy out every "assault rifle" they can.
    Well it doesn't help that the other side every time goes we gotta do something rawr. Almost makes it sound like they are working together and the whole public fights between the big antis and procs are just a façade

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The NRA and other gun lobbying groups have spent the last decade convincing the public that guns correlate with personal safety. They eliminated the possibility of compelling contrary information by getting congress to forbid government organizations from funding or conducting the research necessary to validate or disprove their claims.

Now every time there's a shooting, people go buy more guns because they are in an arms race with some mentally ill member of their community who may or may not exist.

Now every time the government makes some weak attempt at reforming gun laws, they're threatening everyone's personal safety.

Checkmate, logic!

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

They eliminated the possibility of compelling contrary information by getting congress to forbid government organizations from funding or conducting the research necessary to validate or disprove their claims.
    This ties in with the distancing of the Republican party from intellectualism and science that started somewhere around the Reagan era and culminated after Obama came into office, pervading most of the major policy issues including things like health care and climate change which were originally supported by many prominent, mainstream Republicans.

It's much easier to convince someone that your argument is correct when you know he won't be troubled by pesky things like facts and evidence.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well when you have an association that lobbies for this kind of stuff. And looking at the republican party they've gotten pretty good at it considering every candidate has an A rating with the NRA.

I think it's just a general disdain of science as liberally biased or something, because if they did all the due diligence the evidence would probably come back neutral. Because when you look at other modern countries with high gun ownership (switzerland, norway, sweden, etc), there is no meaningful correlations between gun ownership and violence.

It really is just something to get people riled up over, and a convenient scapegoat to avoid having real national conversations about the disparity and mental health issues that are likely the real root of these issues.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post

This interview was deeply disturbing, if anything because they're just the same fucking arguments that have been used for years. I love guns, and want to own some some day, but I hate gun culture.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Shares in Smith & Wesson, the world’s biggest gun company, rose by more than 11 percent on Tuesday to $25.86, their highest level in more than a decade
    http://gawker.com/smith-wesson-stock...e-b-1751255742

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    It really is just something to get people riled up over, and a convenient scapegoat to avoid having real national conversations about the disparity and mental health issues that are likely the real root of these issues.
    If you're talking about mass shootings, maybe? But for overall gun violence, it's clear that Americans are not particularly more violent than people in other countries - it's just that American violence is much more deadly, and that is directly because of easy access to and the sheer number of guns.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    But for overall gun violence, it's clear that Americans are not particularly more violent than people in other countries.
    This, generally. I remember with a number of British LS mates, the general reaction of going into London was "OMG, I could get stabbed", much like some people think going into LA or NYC means you're gonna end up shot.
    And I seem to remember when I looked into it, when you adjust for population, the rates were close enough. No matter where you go, some people are just willing to fuck other people up, and they will use whatever method is available to them.

Restrict weaponry all you want, but it'll just change how people go about it. If you really want the numbers down, you have to address the reasons people are killing each other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag