+ Reply to Thread

Thread: computer upgrade     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

computer upgrade

As some of you might know, I just graduated high school tonight X) As such, I got around $500 in presents, and im willing to spend up to around $600 upgrading my motherboard, processor, and 1GB of RAM. Im looking at AMD 64 processors, but I've noticed I can get a 3.2gHz P4 for about the price of a 2.2 gHz AMD 64... Right now I have an ASUS k7s5a motherboard (really shitty) an AMD processor at ~1.9gHz and 512MB of PC3200 RDRAM.

So my question: what do you guys suggest I buy to get the most outta my money? The motherboard needs an AGP slot, or I need a new vid card >_> (256MB GeForce FX5200 currently) Anyway, thx =3[/b]

Re: computer upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Makaze
    PC3200 RDRAM
    Errrr, are you sure? So far as I know, theres no such thing as PC3200 Rambus memory. Maybe your refering to DDRAM ?

Because if you do have rambus memory, good luck finding a new mobo.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Maybe its DDRAM... Thought it was RD, but I'm not as worried about RAM type determining the mobo, I'll get a GB of new RAM if I need to.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

AMD64 would be your best bet >.>

Hmm, as you wish, but if you can keep your stick of memory, your still saving at least 70$.

It's fairly easy to know if it's Rimm memory or DDR, just open the case, dont touch anything. If there's a small metal heat sink on the memory, then it's rimm memory, and you should have 2 sticks, not only 1.

If you are going to upgrade to AMD64 i would suggest a DFI mobo, they are pretty good for overclocking and look very nice too.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

No heat sink, 1 stick

if you ask me, 1GB of RAM is overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Makaze
    No heat sink, 1 stick
    Then it's DDR. Just buy another 512m of PC3200 and that should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    Agreed, but some peoples (like me) have money to burn. To each it's own I guess. Personnaly i'd rather pimp my PC than RMT.

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    meh. I can't overclock my processor without 1GB of ram.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

well having only 512 makes me feel teh weak ._. 1GB > all. It all depends on the mobo I get though :/

As far as I know, DDR isn't obsolete, and there isn't any newer kind of memory available yet. So you'll be able to recycle the stick you already have.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

So I'm guessing the AMD64 with an nForce3 (because 4 only comes with PCI-Express slot...) and keep the DDR would be the best bet?

I'd say so, yeah