Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Ninja Elemental Wheel setup

There is another post somewhere here about a Ninja throwing setup and it got me remembering way back in the day hearing that NIN/RDM or /BLM can actually do amazing damage spamming the wheel with the right gear, but i had never seen any solid answer showing it.

Does anyone have any gear sets to show, parse results to show, pictures anything that shows how effective a NIN/RDM or NIN/BLM can be spamming the wheel at 75 in as many situations as possible? (EXP or HNM comes to mind)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

good in the past, low lvl XP PT

not now, unless your talking about pcc bc

lv 75 and HNMs? NEVER

only mob that you need it in an end game is arrapago's card NM

spamming wheel is good on that flan

but not many people bring NIN to salvage anyway

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars View Post
    good in the past, low lvl XP PT

not now, unless your talking about pcc bc

lv 75 and HNMs? NEVER

only mob that you need it in an end game is arrapago's card NM

spamming wheel is good on that flan

but not many people bring NIN to salvage anyway
    Only reason behind this was thinking what kind of parse results would look like if you have a NIN/RDM with capped Raiton: San merits and full ninjitsu/mab/int build vs something like Tiamat? I know its crazy to think, but what would the damage look like in the long run i wonder

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

One of our better NINs for sea likes to throw out Huton and Suiton; I think he actually got the San level. Always nice before an AM2.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrift View Post
    I would love to see some screenshots of insane elemental damage if thats at all possible. There has to be someone out there that went all out on an elemental wheel setup.
    Thats what im hoping. Even if its like 200 DMG, whats the recast on that? What would it look like to see a Nin doing a extra 200 DMG every 25s or w/e it is on a long parse?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

i am having pretty max-ed out INT and MAB for my NIN (no int or mab back, and i lose the last 5 goliard pants ;

i have hyoton san max and hyoton effect max merits (zzz nothing good in nin merits)

i did hyoton because me and my friend always does darkness sc in salvage etc. and the best hyoton san i have done so far in salvage NMs or Gears is about 300 tops(MB)

i do nuke 400-500 on too weak mobs tho haha

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Norgannon

A Ninja in a pickup LS I was in had a super hard on for toolspam. IIRC he had all the San level unlocked, or key ones, Huton/Hyuton/Raiton/Doton unlocked and leveled as much as the cap allows.

The gear he used for this was (bear with me this is all from memory):

All 6 HQ ele staves (for each element, Light/Dark not applicable)
    Nin AF+1 head
    Osode
    Neck - idk possibly ugga pendant
    Moldivite/Novio
    B Haidate
    Nin AF+1 boots
    Can't remember hands/back/rings - assume MAB/INT build here

Hope that helps a little, but i remember him saying that Ninjutsu, even when fully skilled has and insanely high rate of resist on anything ITG and that priority went to, skill gear/MAB/INT respectively. I myself haven't really dedicated much to this myself, tho I have wondered if with Innin it would be worth getting more serious about situationally (read: can I sit behind something that a pld is tanking and spam the wheel for more damage I would do with katana).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Norgannon

Quote Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
    Thats what im hoping. Even if its like 200 DMG, whats the recast on that? What would it look like to see a Nin doing a extra 200 DMG every 25s or w/e it is on a long parse?
    IIRC San's recast is stupid long and it takes longer than ichi to actually cast (Fast Cast Mirke Wardecors, lol) but in the long run I think mostly DoT from Ni spam that wins the damage in a long parse argument.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

In exp, from level 40 to at least level 53 (Slug shot M.Kris kinda setup I guess) a geared Ni-spamming NIN/RDM is top damage. For NIN, it continues to be the best damage until at least level 60. HQ staves x6, Moldy, and INT gear. Also, gil. Lots.

At 75 I've seen some dude who soloed Fort fairly quickly w/ Ni and San nukes with an epic build but obviously it loses its edge at 75. Not much you really use nukes on.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

FFXIGEAR.com

I use INT back instead of astute as listed, but other than that I use the above setup. With merits that is 310 skill and 113 INT, which isn't as bad as some people would lead you to believe. Taking off ugg pendant and moldy for nin torque/ear would actually put you at 320/113 but since I've never used it on anything serious I've never tried it. Theoretically I would think 320/113 would be fairly strong since you are also getting the bonus from weakening the mob against the next nuke. This is, of course, assuming hq staves. Can't expect results with katanas any more than you could expect results from rdm nuking while using joyeuse.

Fighting T-Vtish type mobs I usually get 200ish for :ni spells and 280ish for :san? Dunno off the top of my head because I dont like wasting gil. The casting time is only 1.5 seconds (lower with /rdm) so you can spin through 1200 damage in about 10 seconds which isn't bad at all. Of course, there is some downtime after that and even with :san unlocked I remember waiting around waiting for timers to be up.

A huge problem with the wheel is that most mobs that are worth spending gil on to kill have major resistances to at least one element, and in many cases are resistant to all but one element. That really throws a roadblock for a nuking ninja.

Again, my experience is limited, but I've never found a situation where it was really viable. Well, sewer syrup I guess.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars View Post
    i do nuke 400-500 on too weak mobs tho haha
    This is about all I've ever done w/ it.

I kind of wanted to try going NIN/RDM to Omega sometime, mostly for lulz, but never have gotten to.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

With a good enough INT setup and HQ staves etc, you can do some ok dmg with elemental Ninjutsu, the whole thing making this crap at later level is the huge recast time.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

YouTube - NIN solo Jailer of Fortitude

Could this be what you're referring to with the Fortitude kill?

All in all its great for soloing COR-style (albeit probably not as safe as being a COR) and I'm sure you can put out some decent numbers elsewhere, but like anything else with NIN nowadays, someone else'll do it better. If we could match a BLM's damage with an all-out ninjutsu set, I'd probably have one already xD

And evilpaul, go NIN/RDM and tank it \O/ throw in nukes if you want to when your subtank pulls hate off you. Not that pulling hate off a NIN/RDM is easy o:

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

With a good enough INT setup and HQ staves etc, you can do some ok dmg with elemental Ninjutsu, the whole thing making this crap at later level is the huge recast time.
    Thread, winrar.

I find that having one San spell maxed out is okay when you're SoL on hitting stuff, or if you're fighting the type of mob that has a lot of physical resistance and no magic, or negative magic.

Carrying around more than 1 or 2 elemental tools though seems like a waste of space at 75. Which is kind of sad. =/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I always dreamt of some heavy nuking setup with decent enough recast timers (so it will be worth it) and use while tanking bigger stuff. Now all i can really do it hit Souleater macro and swap on Katanas and hit for a little if I wanna tank / get hate back / get spike spike and do some damage :/

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Major thing i was thinking would be a full on thunder ninjitsu build on something like Tiamat, just spamming San Ni Ichi and seeing what the end result would be.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

With the base damage being ~105 or something on San ones I doubt you'd do much damage to something like Tiamat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chantal View Post
    And evilpaul, go NIN/RDM and tank it \O/ throw in nukes if you want to when your subtank pulls hate off you. Not that pulling hate off a NIN/RDM is easy o:
    If I got to do it, I'd probably be there was DD. We usually have two PLD/NINs tanking it. The massive gearset swaps for switching between nukes and hate spells would be a pain too on lolPS2.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Skill and Macc reduce resists.

INT and MAB increase damage.

edit: Waterga is roughly the same base damage as Ni spells and Water II is pretty close to the base of San. (The damage increase from INT in the :San spells is higher than the two BLM spells though).

You could have a BLM cast those on Tiamat if you want to get some idea what to expect with a similarly geared up NIN. Which I would think is not very much.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I goof around with Nin/Blm occasionally when I get bored.. Here's a few pics from the other day. I'm interested to see how Innin will affect the damage..

Well, can't post URL for screens with under 10 posts.. Tier 3 ZNM Dea - Raiton: San - 274 Dmg. Ni wheel - 167 - 174 for Hyoton (Aquilo's int). Probably ~15% resist rate. (Seems higher on San for some reason)

I basically just put together a setup from stuff I already have, so there's likely better available..

Main - HQ staff
    Sub - Wise Grip
    Ranged - Phantom Tath
    Head - Koga Hatsuburi +1
    Neck - Ugg Pendant
    Earring - Moldavite
    Body - Yasha NQ
    Hands - Koga Tekko +1(Have nothing better so haste @ night and save tools)
    Rings - Snow
    Back - Astute Cape
    Waist - Swift Belt
    Legs - Byakko's
    Feet - Koga Kyahan +1

3 Raiton Potency merits / 3 Raiton: San merits

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Innin seems around 25 MAB from rear.. no idea if I'm right on that.. Just did a few nukes on lil bunnies from front and rear.