Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How are MNKs damage on HNMs by meleeing?

Yesterday my ls was doing a couple Kirins up at lolsky. A ls member decided to fuck around and came as MNK/WAR, his equipment setup was:

Destroyers, Faith Torque, Foragers Mantle, Black Belt, Shura Togi, Shura Haidate+1, Paluhwan Boots(too lazy to look up correct name), Walahra Turban, 2x Sniper's Ring+1, Bandomusha Kote, Brutal Earring/Merman's Earring and a Tiphia Sting with a full merited H2H.

Personally I've never touched my MNK other than a few exp parties, but his damage was absolutely insane on Kirin. He was hitting for 30-50s on normal hits without Berserk with some rarely 10-20s. With Berserk he was hitting Kirin for a constant 50-60 with criticals up in the 90s, he had Haste almost 100% of the fight and was hitting like a train, Dragon Kick was scoring in 200-500. At the end, my parser results showed that he came out as the second highest DD just a bit under a Ridill/decked out WAR. (we didn't have any RNGs last night).

So what I'm asking is, how good are monks against some of the HNMs out there? (Cerberuslol, Fafhogg etc). It kinda makes me want to take my MNK out of storage.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Monks never sucked on HNMs, HNMLS's sucked for not using them in anything aside from chi blasting.

Personally? I always let our monks contribute via DD damage. Infact he was closing light for the MB's on nidhogg.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

The issue is if you want a frag closer thieves and dark knights sort of trash them on WS damage and asuran is just asking to suck on a HNM. That said they do give the least TP out of any DD and with penance now 3 monks on a fafnir would fuck some shit up.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

That's not possible. Everyone know only SMN and BLM can do good damage on HNM.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

ryko let me melee faf on mnk ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    The issue is if you want a frag closer thieves and dark knights sort of trash them on WS damage and asuran is just asking to suck on a HNM. That said they do give the least TP out of any DD and with penance now 3 monks on a fafnir would fuck some shit up.
    Now a DRK gives the least TP on a lot of mobs thanks to abs-tp and the fact that high delay weapons give less tp to begin with.

23 years old

BG Level

Just give up now. Dark seal + a few fluke casts aside you're not sticking absorb TP with any regularity on most HNMs, let alone absorbing enough to make a big deal. Also it absorbs the TP given to it from any source, not just yours, so in terms of TP -given- to a mob it doesnt change a thing even if you deduct it equally across the board.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All this talk gave me a great idea. Someone needs to claim fafhogg with 10-15 monks without any subtle blow in the alliance and have them all 100 fist it at the same time and fraps it. I bet it would be a riot to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    Just give up now. Dark seal + a few fluke casts aside you're not sticking absorb TP with any regularity on most HNMs, let alone absorbing enough to make a big deal.
    I've seen good results on ultima and heard about good results on fafnir. Had bad results on omega. Havent been in a HNMls since the update sooo yeah. Also have had good results in most dynamis mobs, but thats quite skewed with double dark.

Also it absorbs the TP given to it from any source, not just yours, so in terms of TP -given- to a mob it doesnt change a thing even if you deduct it equally across the board.
    It took me reading that 5 times to figure out what you're trying to say.

Yes that's true but it doesnt matter where TP is being fed from to begin with, and it makes the net TP gained from DRK lower, which is what matters.

23 years old

BG Level

I love drk in dynamis now but my exp bar isnt gonna survive another 2 runs, good thing xarc is next.

You don't /nin in dynamis? I usually end up tanking a lot of stuff >_>;; Abs-TP is such crazy hate.

23 years old

BG Level

Nah since I'm really only going in there on DRK for e-peen (I had a couple over 2k but that was practically back to back so 1 fraps beats 3) so I end up subbing WAR or DRG >_> NIN would be a good idea though, especially with the fact that I end up pulling more than half the run.

What are the #s they're dishing out on them?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ryany
    All this talk gave me a great idea. Someone needs to claim fafhogg with 10-15 monks without any subtle blow in the alliance and have them all 100 fist it at the same time and fraps it. I bet it would be a riot to watch.
    it'd just make fafnir spam moves at full health the same way he does at 20%, with a regular alliance of 4 maybe 5 melees, he normally gets TP pretty quick and spams at low health just as if you had 5 MNKs hitting 2hr at low health.

nidhogg on the other hand, would be a fucking event to watch

Monks do great damage. They have access to a lot of accuracy gear and an A+ weapon which means they can use meat and still hit OK.

Their base damage is also phenomenal with respect to their delay-- 50 dmg for 348 overall delay (that's like dual weilding 50 dmg daggers). Compare that to a War which can opt to use axes for 48-49 damage at an overall delay 441 if they have suppanomimi.

If you pair them with a bard, they are a total wrecking ball and will probably die from pulling hate.

Only thing holding MNKs back are melee-rape WS, monster rape TP gain and HNM LS raping SMNs and BLMs.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Monks do great damage. They have access to a lot of accuracy gear and an A+ weapon which means they can use meat and still hit OK.

Their base damage is also phenomenal with respect to their delay-- 50 dmg for 348 overall delay (that's like dual weilding 50 dmg daggers). Compare that to a War which can opt to use axes for 48-49 damage at an overall delay 441 if they have suppanomimi.

If you pair them with a bard, they are a total wrecking ball and will probably die from pulling hate.

Berserk and aggressor (merited) is what make war outshine mnk on most HNM imo, well, that and the ability to tank >_> But yeah, mnk/war destroy HNM like faf.

Only thing holding MNKs back are melee-rape WS, monster rape TP gain and HNM LS raping SMNs and BLMs.
    It's true for certain HNM, but the majority of them have weak WS and/or retarded TP regen.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

If you use the excuse of "oh noes monks give the mobs too much TP" yet you have 3 war/nin's going spam happy with rampage, kill yourself.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Beat me to it. Its mainly the TP gain factor, yeah MNKs and WARs will rape Fafnir with normal melee (Dual Wield/Hand to Hand) but have fun eating Hurricane Wings about every 2~3 minutes. Fix Subtal Blow and Mob TP gain and then you can melee almost any HNM.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I'd use that more as an arguement on hydra than on fafnir. Fafnir automeditates anyway. And either way that arguement becomes void the second you put a thf, war, rng, or drg into your alliance.

Monks never sucked on HNMs, HNMLS's sucked for not using them in anything aside from chi blasting.

Pretty much sums my feelings up.