Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Thinking about buying a gun...

Was wondering what other people who have bought guns in the past would recommend for a first time buyer.

I am not sure what to get or what would be favorable for someone like myself since I don't hunt or live in the countryside where you can just you can practice in your backyard or anything but I would like to get one for going to the range and emptying a few rounds on a target 100 feet away.

I am looking for something under $1000 that wouldn't be too hard to find at a local shop or gun show.

Anyone able to help me out?

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

I recommend a water pistol. It'll be safer to have in your house.

*ducks and runs*

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I know BG has some gun owners somewhere :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level

If you have a club or range around that does sporting clays, I'd recommend that. It's good times.

That's a shotgun sport though. You didn't say what type you were planning on buying.

ruger 1022 is like 200 bucks, can shoot 100 feet away and ammo is dirt cheap, .22 cal isn't that large of a caliber, if you're hunting humans or something you might want to go with a higher caliber. if you really want to spend that kind of money you can get a yugo or russian AK47 at most gunshows and some pawnshops for anywhere from 500-1000 depending on mods, 7.62 ammo is pretty cheap (for now..), its what I shoot at the range most often, lots of fun. 100 feet is a long haul and there isn't much point in shooting that distance unless you shoot competitively or just for kicks, an altercation is most likely to occur at 20-30 feet or less, tops I go downrange with my target is 50 feet

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    Was wondering what other people who have bought guns in the past would recommend for a first time buyer.

I am not sure what to get or what would be favorable for someone like myself since I don't hunt or live in the countryside where you can just you can practice in your backyard or anything but I would like to get one for going to the range and emptying a few rounds on a target 100 feet away.

I am looking for something under $1000 that wouldn't be too hard to find at a local shop or gun show.

Anyone able to help me out?
    Sounds like you want a pistol?

Sigarms Sig Sauer Trailside PL 22 Competition Pistol

If by "less than a thousand dollars" you don't necessarily mean actually spending $1000, although you easily could with aftermarket mods for that one.

Or possibly one of these

Buck Mark Hunter, , Browning Firearms Product

If you wanna go a little over 1k...

Product: Model 41 Pistol

is really hard to beat, and you should be able to get it for around 1k, but you'll want to spend a bit on aftermarket sighting probably

I can't find a great link on it, but this:

Ruger MK III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

should run pretty close to 1k with a couple magazines and aftermarket sighting (for the hunter model)

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Now thats what I'm talking about :D

But to clarify I was leaning towards a handgun and not an assault rifle or shotgun.

I also threw up a price range as I have heard from some friends if you want a quality gun your looking around 500 dollars for one, and although the Desert Eagle looks mighty impressive(always wanted one) I think(and I could be wrong) they run 1200+ ish? Maybe its just the model I saw or it was something else.

On the same note since this would be my first gun, what is required by law in regards to getting a CCW permit and whats usually involved with that?

Ridill
    BG Level

Now thats what I'm talking about :D

But to clarify I was leaning towards a handgun and not an assault rifle or shotgun.

I also threw up a price range as I have heard from some friends if you want a quality gun your looking around 500 dollars for one, and although the Desert Eagle looks mighty impressive(always wanted one) I think(and I could be wrong) they run 1200+ ish? Maybe its just the model I saw or it was something else.

On the same note since this would be my first gun, what is required by law in regards to getting a CCW permit and whats usually involved with that?
    You really don't want to take a big magnum like a DE .357/.44/.50 to go shoot at a range, you'll kill your hand, especially as a beginner.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    You really don't want to take a big magnum like a DE .357/.44/.50 to go shoot at a range, you'll kill your hand, especially as a beginner.
    I know and its out of my price range but I have the hots for it :D

Might get it somewhere down the road but its something about the style of the gun I like.

How about a Glock? They seem pretty good, and very resilient to water/sand in them(not that it matters but its a perk).

Ridill
    BG Level

glocks are made to be carried in your crotch and held sideways like a retard

Relic Horn
    BG Level

That Ruger Mk.III looks nice. The Sig Sauer just looks bad. :/

The only two handguns I have are ones that my grandpa took home from WWII. He gave me his Colt 1911 and a Walther P38 he took home.

Ridill
    BG Level

If you're after something that's just a bigger feel than the 22lr stuff, there are 22 mags which will give you that, or you can look into .38 specials. 9mm/45's are too... well, too big while being weakly powered, and will have a hard time keeping you happy with your ability to hit shit from much distance.

Just do your research, if you want to go do some target shooting at a range, grab a good competition 22. If you want to be doing some target shooting but want a bigger feel, go for a 38. If you just want to go down to the range an unload some clips and not give a shit, get a 1911 for 200 bucks and you'll be happy as hell.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I think this guy just wants a big fucking gun to say he has one rather than something for sport/target as gathered from the immediate lock-on to the D.Eagle and CCW.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I could never get bored of looking at a Desert Eagle. No matter what angle you look at it, it always looks badass. Even the hand grip looks like it could fuck you up.

Get one of these... CornerShot Site lol

http://www.airshooter.co.uk/acatalog/1911SB.jpg

How about a Glock? They seem pretty good, and very resilient to water/sand in them(not that it matters but its a perk).
    Glocks are popular for a reason. When you need it, it will fire.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Devek View Post
    Glocks are popular for a reason. When you need it, it will fire.
    unfortunately 90% of people that own glocks are retarded enough to jam them

The police here use glocks lol

The only other handgun I ever used that I liked was my friend's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_941

I'm not really an expert on these things, but I had an easier time hitting the target with that than anything else I ever used.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Devek View Post
    The police here use glocks lol
    exactly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast