+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Anyone have experience with GameStop refurbished 60gb PS3?

I'm considering purchasing one, but I'm worried about it being "refurbished"... for anyone that has one, how has your system worked? does GameStop provide any warranty?

Re: Anyone have experience with GameStop refurbished 60gb PS3?

Statistically refurbished goods are more reliable than new ones.

Better...cheaper...why are you worried again ;0?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The lack of an apparent warranty worries me.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BarthelloSylph
    The lack of an apparent warranty worries me.
    Unless things have changed from when I worked there, refurb systems have a 90 day warranty through GameStop. You can also purchase an extended warranty for an extra year.

2 of the 4 PS2's in my apartment were refurb, my XB360 was refurb, my PSP was refurb. I've never had an issue with any of them.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

it comes with a 30day warranty, can buy a year warranty for $49.99.

also, most of them aren't really refurbished. all ps3's they get in trade are sent off to have the hard drives wiped to take off any credit card data and such that are on them. as long as they work there, there isnt anymore refurbish work done.

that being said, ive had a 60gig refurbished for almost a year now, and no problems at all.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I sent my order in online, but I wasn't presented with an option to purchase an extra warranty. Oh well, I feel a bit better about it now.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey
    Statistically refurbished goods are more reliable than new ones.

Better...cheaper...why are you worried again ;0?
    80% of all statistics are made up 70% of the time.

Historically, I've had nothing but trouble with anything I bought refurb. HDD, died. N64 accessories (rumble pak and gameboy reader), fried a controller. So forth and so on.

If it's refurb, means it was busted. Unless the bust was user caused (rarely happens since they'll repair and send back exactly what you call warranty service on, instead of replacing it and putting your old one on a refurb line), it was a manufacturing flaw from the getgo...who's to say it won't just happen again?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

as i said, gamestop refurbished ones arent busted.

Historically, I've had nothing but trouble with anything I bought refurb. HDD, died. N64 accessories (rumble pak and gameboy reader), fried a controller. So forth and so on.

If it's refurb, means it was busted. Unless the bust was user caused (rarely happens since they'll repair and send back exactly what you call warranty service on, instead of replacing it and putting your old one on a refurb line), it was a manufacturing flaw from the getgo...who's to say it won't just happen again?
    That's nice and all, but you can look up any consumer reports study, there was one recently in pcmag, etc etc.

Or you could talk out your ass, whichever you prefer.

The fact that something breaks and the unit receives a disproportional amount of extra attention(because they already lost money on the unit receiving it once, and don't want it back again) they have an incentive to make sure it's functional at or above the level of a normal production unit(which often had little to no testing!).

Sucks that you had some bad experiences with refurbs, but you can't take your bad experience and project it on EVERYTHING.

The 60GB refurbished at my house has run fine since we got it in November.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I bought a refurb 60 gig back in January and haven't had a single problem with it. Given, I've only used it to watch movies and play the MGO beta so it hasn't been used THAT much. The system looked pretty much brand new with the exception of some scratches on the top(FUCK YOU SONY for making your system shiny).

If it's refurb, means it was busted.
    This is mostly true, however, not so on PS3's. Every single traded in PS3 is sent back to the warehouse to have its hard drive wiped and is then sent back to be sold; we have absolutely no Used PS3's, they are all 'Refurbished'.

That being said, I prefer Refurbished items over Used anyway.

Refurb:
    Broken item traded in > Sent back to warehouse > opened up, fixed, cleaned > tested > sent back to Gamestop > Sold with Warranty

Tradein:
    Regular item traded in > Boxed up and resold.

I'd MUCH rather know that my machine was opened up, fixed, cleaned, and tested rather than just turned on for five minutes to make sure it worked, possibly with a plethora of other problems unknown to the guy who took in the trade. /shrug

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaru
    This is mostly true, however, not so on PS3's. Every single traded in PS3 is sent back to the warehouse to have its hard drive wiped and is then sent back to be sold; we have absolutely no Used PS3's, they are all 'Refurbished'.

Refurb:
    Broken item traded in > Sent back to warehouse > opened up, fixed, cleaned > tested > sent back to Gamestop > Sold with Warranty

Tradein:

I'd MUCH rather know that my machine was opened up, fixed, cleaned, and tested rather than just turned on for five minutes to make sure it worked, possibly with a plethora of other problems unknown to the guy who took in the trade. /shrug
    By "we" you mean GameStop?

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Refurb:
    Not always the case, EVERY SINGLE corp refurb 360 we've ever gotten sent to our store has come back defective. All the SMs in our district bitch about it on the conference calls every week.

As far as PS3s, there's no games for the system anyway so all the ones we get from corp are pretty much brand new anyway, amirite? :D

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarthelloSylph

Refurb:

Tradein:

By "we" you mean GameStop?
    on most systems i'd much prefer a used than a refurbished, and never buy a refurbished 360, as someone else said, we see at least half of them come back defective.

i dont know about your store but we have a system tester that we test systems on when we take them in tradeins. so i'd rather sell a used than a refurb cause i know for a fact that it works, and on all disc types.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Just wait for MGS4 release bundle.. you get an 80gig PS3 and MGS4 for 400$. Isn't that around 50$~ more than a refurbished 60gig?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I guess I've read a lot about the difference in the backwards compatibility between the two, and I am a person who really depends on it cause a lot of my favorite games are for the PS1 and 2 and my PS2 is about dead.

I am fine with a used system I just don't want it to shit the bed for a few years.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey

That's nice and all, but you can look up any consumer reports study, there was one recently in pcmag, etc etc.

Or you could talk out your ass, whichever you prefer.

The fact that something breaks and the unit receives a disproportional amount of extra attention(because they already lost money on the unit receiving it once, and don't want it back again) they have an incentive to make sure it's functional at or above the level of a normal production unit(which often had little to no testing!).

Sucks that you had some bad experiences with refurbs, but you can't take your bad experience and project it on EVERYTHING.
    I never said I was trying to project it on everything, but if there are so many studies that prove it you could have taken a few minutes to point one out. Casually throwing around statistics is a big problem on the 'net, you should know that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that if you can anecdotally state that refurbs are more reliable, I can just as easily come in here and anecdotally state (truthfully, mind you, but I can understand your skepticism) the exact opposite.

I never said I was trying to project it on everything, but if there are so many studies that prove it you could have taken a few minutes to point one out. Casually throwing around statistics is a big problem on the 'net, you should know that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that if you can anecdotally state that refurbs are more reliable, I can just as easily come in here and anecdotally state (truthfully, mind you, but I can understand your skepticism) the exact opposite.
    Np, I wasn't trying to be a jerk either. Honestly I'd love to show links to everything but in terms of my personal knowledge, you have to understand most of it is academic. Journals, trade magazines, etc that don't have free online equivalents.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2253733,00.asp

Is an article I read about refurbs specifically towards the computer market. Though the online version is missing all the charts and research numbers that were in the print version. The internet is not the end-all-be-all of knowledge ;0...yet.

My point in responding to you was that anecdotes are nice and all, but there's hard evidence out there that says on average they're more reliable, and being the internet(or just in general) you typically hear the louder voice from those who had problems(I mean, lots of people have more problems with new items too).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

other than "good luck finding one", no :D they rarely come into gamestop and are snapped up instantly, usually by an employee from what i hear.

i bought my 60G PS3 off craigslist for $400, got it with Assassin's Creed, NBA 07, and Tiger 07.

works flawlessly. and as a note, only the 60G has FULL bc, the 80G is software emulation only. i think that's why they stopped making the 60, it's too expensive to produce with the PS2 chipset in it.