BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Windower Not Hooking (Windows 7 x64)

I know there's another thread about this, but the issue was not resolved and the topic had strayed away from Windows 7 and into an issue about XP. I'm not downgrading my OS, so I'd like to find out what the problem/fix is for W7 if anyone knows what's going on. I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit. POL Viewer works just fine, but when the actual game loads, the console never loads up and neither do any of the plugins. The same thing happened back in November or December when Aikar had to fix the Hook for Windows 7 users, but there's something a bit different this time. Instead of loading in full screen mode, it does actually load in windowed mode, but still crashes on tabbing out (or more specifically, it doesn't actually close out on tab out, but when I tab back into the windower window), as if it's in normal full screen mode. My guess is that it's related to the Hook.dll. The file in the 3.42 RC5 Hook thread is actually RC4 for some reason. I'm not sure if Aikar realizes that, but I tracked down the actual RC5, which is on the Windower 3.42 wiki page as a separate download link. Neither RC4, nor RC5 work.

-I've tried using Launcher_GUI with x64 checked.
    -I have the POL Viewer, FFXI, Launcher, and Launcher_GUI all set to Run as Admin.
    -I have ran Windower on this PC before. The last time I played was around Dec 20th 2009 or so.
    -Windower 4 Alpha works, but lacks plugin support. I have no idea how to get spellcast lua files to work. Will my old xml files work? Any guide or explanation on this if 3.42 won't work would be much appreciated. However, I can't seem to create or edit my macros in Windower 4, as the quotation keys won't work. -.-
    -I have tried booting up IE8, Windows Live Messenger, and the Calendar Gadget to no avail.
    -I have tried setting both Windower and all resolutions to my current screen resolution.

Nothing works.

Any help gets you a free cookie and much <3. ; .;

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I had an issue with some people using a program I wrote (which also hooks the game) being blocked by Data Execution Prevention (DEP), and when they disabled it, problem solved. Theres no guarantee this will fix your issue, but it is quite often overlooked, and not a common problem.

Sometimes Data Execution Prevention (DEP) closes a program for no reason so in case you want to disable it just download this batch file and run it. Then restart your computer and DEP will be disabled.

Alternatively type bcdedit.exe/set {current} nx AlwaysOff in RUN and press the enter key. Now restart your computer and DEP will be disabled.
    If that does not fix your problem, turn it on with the opposite:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    I had an issue with some people using a program I wrote (which also hooks the game) being blocked by Data Execution Prevention (DEP), and when they disabled it, problem solved. Theres no guarantee this will fix your issue, but it is quite often overlooked, and not a common problem.

If that does not fix your problem, turn it on with the opposite:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Didn't change anything.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I had the exact same problem with windos7 64bit
    it would say "windower enabled" but neither the console or the plugins would load or anything.
    its all on the graphics drivers, i dont know why but that is,
    you have to try some video drivers for your graphics, the latest is not always the best. i did that and fixed the "hook" issue. you can find some links for drivers at the windower.net forums or at your graphics card manufacturer site

However there is still a problem i have, the game chrashes when i hit the <play> button that takes you to the character selection screen, i do a workaround that consist in launching the original POL till the password screen, then minimize it, and lauch the windower POL (with the x64 box checked), i can close the original POL when i'm already ingame.

So if anyone found a fix for this, please let me know ^^

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Pirinolon View Post
    I had the exact same problem with windos7 64bit
    it would say "windower enabled" but neither the console or the plugins would load or anything.
    its all on the graphics drivers, i dont know why but that is,
    you have to try some video drivers for your graphics, the latest is not always the best. i did that and fixed the "hook" issue. you can find some links for drivers at the windower.net forums or at your graphics card manufacturer site

However there is still a problem i have, the game chrashes when i hit the <play> button that takes you to the character selection screen, i do a workaround that consist in launching the original POL till the password screen, then minimize it, and lauch the windower POL (with the x64 box checked), i can close the original POL when i'm already ingame.

So if anyone found a fix for this, please let me know ^^
    Are you sure you're using the newest version of windower? Download the fresh version from windower.net and try again?

Also if it still doesn't work, try the version 4.0 alpha (link in my sig) and make sure that hooks.

If it does, maybe it'll help us track down the issue (and then you'll know that v4 will at least work on your computer ^^)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've been having strange issues with Windows 7 x64 as well. I get the game to load and play for a bit but I've been having an abnormally high amount of crashes lately.

The only thing that really changed recently would be updates I've obtained via Windows Update.

I went as far as reinstalling Windows 7 and I still crash all kinds. I allowed Windows Update to fully update though so I'm debating reinstalling yet again and disallowing any recent Windows updates.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
    Are you sure you're using the newest version of windower? Download the fresh version from windower.net and try again?

Also if it still doesn't work, try the version 4.0 alpha (link in my sig) and make sure that hooks.

If it does, maybe it'll help us track down the issue (and then you'll know that v4 will at least work on your computer ^^)
    Yeah i'm using the latest windower with new hook.dll, as of this problem was only like 2-3 weeks ago when i upgraded from XP to Win7
    But i dont have hook issues anymore since i found the correct video drivers package. but the crash at the <play> to char select screen which i can avoid by havng the original POL running at the same time, i dont remember what the error message box says.
    And no i havent tried the windower alpha version i'll do it later this week and let you now what happened.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

As far as I know, there's only one driver compatible with my card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200), unfortunately. So I can't do anything about my driver. That said, Windower did work back in December, so something has changed on the other end that's causing the problem.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Launcher GUI works on x64 now?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysteriousX View Post
    Supposedly. There's a x64 check-box option on it now anyway.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysteriousX View Post
    Yes, but it doens't save your x64 checkbox. You have to check it each time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Have you tried running Windower/POL in Compatibility mode?

Right Click->Properties->Compatibility.

I'm running Win7 x64 and has set that up immediately as I remembered it helped when I was running vista x64 so I'm not sure if that will help/fix your problem at all.

Hmmm I just installled ffxi on a laptop running windows 7 64 basic with a radeon 4570. I just copied my windower folder (from my desktop running xp). I made a shortcut from launcher and all after configuring settings and it works fine even dual box etc.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I just upgraded to 7 Ultimate x64 and the only issues I've had with XI is I will sometimes randomly crash when trying to input text. I can type a message out but the moment I hit enter the game hangs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raiya Li'aurellia
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just reinstalled today, make sure that the windower folder is not in the program files section, dump it in my documents or something and click on the exe file for it and in options make sure run as administrator is enabled. this should solve your problems.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Infini View Post
    I just reinstalled today, make sure that the windower folder is not in the program files section, dump it in my documents or something and click on the exe file for it and in options make sure run as administrator is enabled. this should solve your problems.
    I tried dumping it to my user folder and my Desktop (where I had it before uninstalling last month). Neither worked. Also, both launcher files have Administrator enabled.

EDIT: Oh, and I just tried uninstalling my Microsoft eHome infrared receiver even though I've had no problem with any non-Bethesda game. Nothing changed.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

I had Win7 x64 installed and couldnt get windower working to save my life. I tried everything under the sun including making new topics here and on the windower support forums. After a month of frustration I ended up downgrading back to Vista. Sorry I can't be more help, but if you want to see a list of possible fixes search for my name and the word windower, I listed the 10-20 things I tried.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm using Win7 x64 also on my laptop with a 4570 video card (i7 quadcore, chipset is very unimpressive). I had a few issues last week when they made the update that broke recast. The issues were the same as described above - POL was fine but the game wouldn't load up from it. Faded to black and stayed that way.

Oddly, the issues went away when I replaced broken Recast with the working version. Probably just coincidence and I don't have any kind of a sample size to prove anything either way. It was a little strange - plugin should have no effect on Windower stability afaik.

By the way, if anyone is having issues getting the game to run in this OS, I found the major source of problems to be security. Just keep telling Win7 you're an admin and eventually it rolls over. Infini's post is on the money.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

try this build, a new beta (3.43 i guess? but file will still say 3.42)
    http://aikar.us.to/Hook.dll

if it works please PM me and let me know (as ill prolly forget to check this thread)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
    try this build, a new beta (3.43 i guess? but file will still say 3.42)
    http://aikar.us.to/Hook.dll

if it works please PM me and let me know (as ill prolly forget to check this thread)
    Nope, still having the same problem, unfortunately. I appreciate you trying to fix this though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast