Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

GM advice: how to stop the RMT tells

Since my name starts with "A..." I seem to get more of these wretched spam tells than anyone else I know. You might have seen the like, lately.

BlahBlahRMT>>BUY OUR STUFF DISCOUNT ETC WEBSITE BUY BUY

And it usually shows up far faster than the game is supposed to transmit multiple chat lines. So, off to the Help Desk I go.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/307...viceupload.png

What I found out just now is that when you send a GM call, if you include the RMT name, their URL, the time and timezone, and the area in the game you are in when you get the tell, it lets them just take the call, not have to respond personally, and you'll get a Help Desk form letter.

Apparently they have to manually search for /tells by zone and approx. time in the massive chat logs, so please, help the STF out a bit and save yourself five minutes of having to talk with a GM.

This has been your monthly scheduled KILL THE RMT! KILL THEM WITH FIRE!! public service announcement. Thank you.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Brogame, where bros buy gil for bros that buy bros gil. Hells yeah buy our gil, bro. cheap prices here bro, $294 USD = 1m, bro.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroko View Post
    Brogame, where bros buy gil for bros that buy bros gil. Hells yeah buy our gil, bro. cheap prices here bro, $294 USD = 1m, bro.
    That would be really funny if it wasn't such a problem. I'm sick of getting spam tells from lowlifes. Is this all 14-day free trial related, anyway? They need to just set up the auto-jailer to detect "Brogame"

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Trust me, its alot worse if your the closest alphabetically at the bottom of each letter list. I on the other hand have only had 1-3 tells a week unlike some people in my LS which get spammed 10-20 times a day.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I did a quick search on who brogames is and some of the first info that came up about them was that they kept WoW accounts that they had gotten through their offered power leveling. Too funny that people would trust a company like that.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I used to get them all the time now I only get them about once a month. Dunno why. I know I'm an S but before they sent me a message about twice a day, and I blisted them all ><

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    I did a quick search on who brogames is and some of the first info that came up about them was that they kept WoW accounts that they had gotten through their offered power leveling. Too funny that people would trust a company like that.
    I've heard about people paying money for others to play their accounts, usually some news report every other month about a celebrity who "plays" WoW but really just hires a PL company. Not surprising the accounts are stolen outright.

Anyway, as someone who has to send 5+ GM calls a day, until this gets solved I hope the GM I talked to helps the similarly afflicted not have to waste five minutes per call (not to mention the GM's time, too). Anyone else get feedback during a call about RMT?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I'm sick to death of this and gave up on trying to call GMs ages ago... but anything to help is good.
    So if I get this right, we should be sending GM calls with the following in the blank:

"Rmtguy, gillzzz.com, 8:46pm pst, Qufim" ...?

...Instead of a normal rmt complaint that they'd then have to dig through and ask you directly about. If so, I'll happily fill out something every time.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Brogames funded my Brovura, no homo, bro.

But really, thanks for posting this. If it helps them get ban't, I'm all about it.

the trouble is that stopping them will be remarkably difficult due to the low investment of time required to rebuild after your entire shop of mules gets banned. by using automated programs and free trials, a new set of chars could be created in what? minutes? hours? by having a backup set of mules, one can ensure constant pressure on the GMs to get rid of them round the clock.

you're thinking, but spekky! why not just make a machine to catch them? well yeah. that would work. for a few hours. when someone sends a tell with "www.brogamesux.com" in it to more than 2 people, go directly to jail. that would stop all these tells till they register "www.brogameblows.com" and have that point back to their server. the problem is that the environment allows the advertisers to engage in a fast fluxing attack while the SE response is slow due to design as well as policy. this problem will not stop anytime too soon.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I wonder how the RMTs target ppl.

I have got my first RMT /t like 2 weeks ago, which I then called a GM for and the GM removed that player rather quickly, but the ppl in my PT said they get them regularly like 4-5 times a week.

Just wondering if they just randomly pick a letter and go /sea all "b" and send everyone in that list a tell....

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I might be in the minority, but shrugging off a tell isn't the hardest thing in the world. You see it, you continue your activity, and it's gone from your chat log within 10 seconds.

It's a minor nuisance at best. I'd rather have RMT tells then RMT ruining farming or exp spots.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjh View Post
    It's a minor nuisance at best. I'd rather have RMT tells then RMT ruining farming or exp spots.
    While it's not so horrible from that perspective, I think of it as an irritant to see what people will put up with. If the GMs don't ban the tell bots, then the RMT keeps on rolling. If people get used to getting spam tells on occasion, then maybe we'll consider spam tells the norm.

So I can understand your reaction but the GMs I've talked to all thanked me for filing prompt GM calls and this implies that the real issue is when people just ignore it or assume someone else will be filing a call. Ever seen a car accident and someone in your vehicle says "oh someone else must have called 911, keep driving" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio View Post
    you're thinking, but spekky! why not just make a machine to catch them? well yeah. that would work. for a few hours
    I agree with what you said except for this part. When I get RMT tells, it's always 2 or 3 in a row, faster than the client should be able to send information out. You can't spam /linkshell even more than one line per two seconds yet somehow they are sending multiple tells out at the same time. There should be some autobanhammer to catch that.

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    But really, thanks for posting this. If it helps them get ban't, I'm all about it.
    No problem, glad to help. I'm thankful the GM asked me if I had any other questions before just saying "Take care and enjoy spending your time playing FFXI!"

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Problems with GM, in my opinion is that you get too many dumb ones the one in the OP is nice

But usually when i call a gm for RMT tells (got 1 in 5months but still), his answer is simple

blist the guy

WTF