Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Looking for a CC/LW Guide (Cost effective)

I know that it's going to vary based on a server's economy, but I'm looking for a general guide to take CC to 60 and LW to 100 the cheap way.

Currently I'm at 14 CC and 4 LW. Would be nice to intertwine them as I level them, but not neccessary. Thanks for any and all info.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Honestly the majority of crafting guide were written so long ago that half of the recommended recipes have become obsolete in today's market situations. If you plan on leveling a craft and you wanna do it cheap you need to take the time and do the research yourself. ffxiah has a pretty good recipe section I would recommend starting there.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Rafike View Post
    Honestly the majority of crafting guide were written so long ago that half of the recommended recipes have become obsolete in today's market situations. If you plan on leveling a craft and you wanna do it cheap you need to take the time and do the research yourself. ffxiah has a pretty good recipe section I would recommend starting there.
    Ya, that's the reason I was asking here. Ctownwoody's guides used to be the goto guide for most people, but nowadays they pale to what they once were. ; ;

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Check out Qtipus' blog. I don't agree 100% with all of it but a lot of it is very useful. http://qtipus.blogspot.com/

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

ffxiah.com

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There are also a few threads in this section that have some general guides for cloth if you look. I think there are some leather ones too but it's been awhile since I looked.

edit: found a couple cloth ones, didnt see any leather ones but I didn't spend a lot of time looking tbh.

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60457

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73833

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77846

Obviously these aren't all completely up to date but with ffxiah and a little research you should be able to figure it out on your own anyways.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I honestly did fletchings for CC to 50 and then various silk thread/cloth/ribbons to 60. Cheap, amazingly quick skill ups and most mats are readily available.

As far as leather, I looked at other guides, and then adjusted for current synths and went from there. Once I got to 50 LC, I started farming tigers hides and broke synth'd (if i was out in the field) or went to guild and crafted for nice profit and skill ups.

~Erl

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kongolo View Post
    ffxiah.com

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kongolo View Post
    ffxiah.com
    I really hate that fucking lazy assed response sometimes. >_>

Since I did Leather to 100 I'll just throw up what I did here:

4-7: Rabbit Mantles
    7-11: Solea (make your own leather if you can spare dark crystals)
    11-17: Lizard Cesti (buy Cesti from NPC in Sandy)
    17-21: Dhalmel Leather
    21-24: Bugard Leather (can skip this)
    21(24)-27: Dhalmel Mantle
    27-31: Parchment
    31-35: Ram Leather (save all leather you make)
    35-39: Wolf Gorget
    39-43: Waistbelt (sell to NPC to make back gil from Ram Leather leg)
    43-49: Ram Mantle
    49-61: Tiger/Smilodon Leather (suffer the entire first 4 levels, Raptor Synthesis blows)
    61-62: Tiger/Smilodon Ring (can skip)
    61(62)-67: White Mouton
    67-71: Coeurl/Lynx Leather (save Coeurl Leather)
    71-75: Tiger Mantle (save all mantles)
    75-78: Black Mantle
    78-80: Manticore Leather (save leather)
    80-85: Coeurl Mantle
    85-87(89): Coeurl Mask -> Coeurl Jerkin (save masks and/or jerkins)
    87-88(90): Ogre Mask -> Ogre Jerkin

Long Suffering Begins here:

90-95: Tiger Mask or Peiste Mantle (didn't do the mantles but I have a friend that did, said they are perfect)
    95-97: Griffon Leather (buy up all hides from AH, ask your friends that do Dynamis)
    95(97)-100 Panther Mask (cap is 103, so expect alot of breaks)

If you farm a lot of the hides, this should be the most cost effective path or so. (the majority of it is pretty old though; since 2005 or so, not much has changed.)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    I really hate that fucking lazy assed response sometimes. >_>
    I really hate fucking lazy people who can't bother to do their own research. I give that exact response to people who come in and make a retarded "hay guyz im leather 14 and i wanna get 2 100 whats the cheapest/easiest way lolz". You don't deserve to have a 100 craft if you can't bother doing the (tiny bit of) work figuring out how to get there. For the people who put even a little bit of thought into their post I'm usually nicer, like this one. Even just using the search function seems to escape people most of the time.

Back in the day, before ffxiah.com and wiki, it was different. It was really easy to overloook a cheaper/better selling/better npc price/etc. recipe because the information wasn't so widely known and easy to access. A lot of recipes weren't even widely known by people who couldn't read jp. Nowadays the information is EVERYWHERE and you could go to multiple sources and do 5 minutes of searching and find what you want. There is no excuse anymore and people get tired of being asked for guides when the information is RIGHT THERE for all to see. If it took me all of 15-20 minutes to plan my route for my last 2 crafts to 100 and the same amount to plan a route for smithing, alchemy and leathercraft should I ever choose to level them then what's keeping everyone else from doing the same?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    I really hate fucking lazy people who can't bother to do their own research. I give that exact response to people who come in and make a retarded "hay guyz im leather 14 and i wanna get 2 100 whats the cheapest/easiest way lolz". You don't deserve to have a 100 craft if you can't bother doing the (tiny bit of) work figuring out how to get there. For the people who put even a little bit of thought into their post I'm usually nicer, like this one. Even just using the search function seems to escape people most of the time.

Back in the day, before ffxiah.com and wiki, it was different. It was really easy to overloook a cheaper/better selling/better npc price/etc. recipe because the information wasn't so widely known and easy to access. A lot of recipes weren't even widely known by people who couldn't read jp. Nowadays the information is EVERYWHERE and you could go to multiple sources and do 5 minutes of searching and find what you want. There is no excuse anymore and people get tired of being asked for guides when the information is RIGHT THERE for all to see. If it took me all of 15-20 minutes to plan my route for my last 2 crafts to 100 and the same amount to plan a route for smithing, alchemy and leathercraft should I ever choose to level them then what's keeping everyone else from doing the same?
    Except he said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nishida View Post
    I know that it's going to vary based on a server's economy, but I'm looking for a general guide to take CC to 60 and LW to 100 the cheap way.

Currently I'm at 14 CC and 4 LW. Would be nice to intertwine them as I level them, but not neccessary. Thanks for any and all info.
    I knew someone would post random internet rage just as you did as a response. No shit he knows he'll use FFXIAH (and other guides) to supplement his craft, but he simply asked for a damn guide. Nothing wrong with asking for one; sometimes you want to read a person's personal opinion on a certain craft, then go from there.

He didn't even come in and say "hay guyz im leather 14 and i wanna get 2 100 whats the cheapest/easiest way lolz" or anything of the sort, he seems like a well mannered person just looking for an opinionated guide to Leather/CC.

I agree that the information is everywhere, but that doesn't mean he'll know exactly which one is the best to go by. Thankfully for Leathercraft, like I mentioned in my previous post, has a very old crafting pathway from 0-100 that's tested and true up until today with very minor changes.

Too much hot air in crafting sometimes. See this a lot on KI and don't even bother.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Heya Nish; this is a guide I wrote about 7ish months ago for myself/friend when I had planned on leveling Leathercraft. At the time it was pretty accurate; however, as to whether the applicability of this guide is still valid, I am not entirely sure. That being said, when I wrote the guide, essentially, one could break even or even profit from 1-88(89). Thus, the last 11+ levels encompass the crux of the spending. Keep in mind that I wrote this to a really good friend and I was trying to be funny in writing it, and slightly hyperbolic in places, attempting to make it less boring of a read. I hope this helps, GL Nish! (Thanks for the kungfu pants .dat swap)
    I went ahead and copy/pasted it from the .doc as follows:
    Leathercraft Guide for your favorite Taru!
    1-2 Sheep Leather
    2-5 Leather Bandana (Sheep Leather + Wind Crystal) ~ Desynth and Repeat (or just npc and buy more !)
    5-11 Solea (Sheep Leather x2 + Wind Crystal) ~ NPC or Desynth/Buy more Leather w/e this stage sux cock
    This next part Is icky (until lvl 21) so I’m putting this in red b/c there’s 3 possible synth’s:
    11-15 Lizard Mantle (Lizard Skin + Lizard Molt + Grass Thread + Earth Crystal) NPC
    11-15 Lizard Helm (Sheep Leather + Lizard Skin x2 + Earth Crystal) NPC or Desynth
    11-16 Lizard Gloves (Lizard Skin + Leather Gloves +_ Earth Crystal) Desynth or NPC
    15 (or 16) – 21 Dhalmel Leather (Dhalemel Skin + Windurstian Tea Leaves + Distilled Water + Dark Crystal) ~ Sell this on AH for break even or profit
    21-24 Bugard Leather (Bugard hide + Windy Tea Leave + Water + Dark Crystal) Probably NPC this, if u can sell a few on AH but they don’t sell quickly.
    24-27 Dhalmel Mantle (*Note can skip straight to this if not enough Bugard Hides on AH) (Dhalmel Hide + Wool Thread + Ice Crystal) NPC THIs for break even or slight profit
    27-31 Parchment (Rolanberry + Dark Crystal + Sheep Leather) Sell these on AH or NPC if you have too.
    31-35 Ram Leather (Ram Hide + Windy Leaves + Water+ Dark Crystal) Sell these on AH
    35-39 Wolf Gorget (Wolf Hide + Cotton Thread + Earth Crystal) NPC
    39-43 This is called a Bridge Synth and is Optional, but helpful. Waist Belt (Ram Leather x 2 + Grass Thread + Wind Crystal) ~Npc Probably
    43-49 (or if u skip bridge synth, 39-49) Buffalo Leather (Buffalo Hide + Windy Tea Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) Sell this shit on AH for profit!
    43-49 (Mix this with Buffalo Leather since there aren’t always a ton of Buffalo Hides on AH) Ram Mantle (Ice Crystal + Ram Leather + Wool Thread) NPC
    49-59 Catoblopas Leather (Cato… Hide + Windy Tea Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) NPC This and Mix and Match with the following synth:
    49-61 Tiger Leather (Tiger Hide + Windy Tea Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) Sell on AH
    61-67 White Mouton (Ram Skin + Ponze of Shell Powder x2 + Windy Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) NPC
    67-71 Couerl Leather (Couerl Hide + Windy Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) Sell on AH (Not as profitable as next synth but putting just in case mats are in short stock for Lynx leather)
    67-71 Lynx Leather (Lynx Hide + Windy Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) Sell on AH *Note this is much more profitable then Courel Leather.
    71-75 Tiger Mantle (Tiger Hide + Wool Thread + Ice Crystal) NPC
    75-76 Marid Leather (Marid Hide + Imperial Tea Leaves* + Water + Dark Crystal) *Note Mix this in with Tiger Mantles as it is much more profitable – Sell on AH
    76-79 Coeurl Corget (Coeurl Hide + Cotton Thread + Earth Crystal) NPC
    76-80 Manticore Leather (Manticore Hide + Windy Leaves + Water + Dark Crystal) *Note (Again) Rely on this more than Coeurl corget since it’s profit instead of break even!
    80-85 Couerl Mantle (Couerl Hide + Wool Thread + ice Crystal) NPC this fuckin cheese.
    Pre-Post Script: The last 15 levels are more pricy and tricky, so I’ll try to lay this out as best I can!
    85-87 Couerl Mask (Faceguard + Couerl Leatherx2 + Earth Crystal) SAVE THESE
    87-88 Ogre Mask (Couerl Mask + Manticore Leather + Earth Crystal) NPC these and use those stupid Couerl Masks u just saved.
    88-89 Couerl Jerkin? (Couerl Leatherx2 Sheep Leather + Earth Crystal) NPC
    89-97 Griffon Leather (Griffon Hide + Windy Tea Leaves + Dark Crystal) NPC
    -OR- Tiger Mask (89-95) (Wyvern Skin + Tiger Hidesx2 + Ram Leather + Wool Thread + Ice Crystal) NPC Please Note: Griffon Leather is probably the cheaper route, so for this last 10 levels I’m gonna try and stock pile the hides on mules.
    97-100 Panther Mask (HQ Couerl Hidex2 + Wyvern Skin + Ram Leather + Wool Thread + Ice Crystal) NPC These. Also, I’m going to stock pile Wyvern Skins and HQ Couerl Hides on mules as well since they’re constantly sought after on AH.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Researching is fun though D:

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Researching is fun though D:
    D: Fok yew mang, bothering me on MSN about this thread while posting.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Cool story, bro.

I just blitzed CC to 49 so I could synth an Ebon Tam, so here's the route I took for that.

1 - Grass Thread (Make these from Yagudo Necklaces. You'll be doing this a lot for future synths.)
    1 to 4 - Grass Cloth
    4 to 8 - Cape (Save one for guild test)
    8 to 11 - Hachimaki
    11 to 14 - Red Grass Thread (This is going to be quite painful in the wallet. Don't worry.)
    14 to ?? - Red Grass Cloth (Just get as much skill as you can with the thread you made)
    ?? to 22 - Yagudo Fletchings (Can farm feathers in Tahrongi. Air and Earth Elementals occasionally pop, so that'll be a big help.)
    22 to 26 - Heko Obi (This will also be pretty painful in the wallet, just bear with it. Save one for the guild test.)
    26 to 29 - Kaginawa (This has a smithing cap of 15. It would be wise to take smithing to around that level because this synth will make back a lot of money you spent on other synths. Farm manticore hair in Eastern Altepa; the drop rate is fairly good. Manticores can be found all along the west side of the zone.)
    29 to 33 - Shinobi-tabi (This one is a profit synth also. Buying saruta cotton from the guild would be best, but even if you buy them overpriced on the AH, you could still make decent profits. It depends on your server.)
    33 to 35 - Wool Thread (Go to Beadeaux and farm Broos for sheepskins to turn into sheep wool. You can also steal the wool from them. I believe the sheep wool synth has a leathercrafting cap of 4.)
    35 to 37 - Wool Cloth (Use the threads that you make and turn them into cloth. Buy any more threads you need off of the AH.)
    37 to 42 - Bird Fletchings (This one is going to be pretty annoying. You can farm the bird feathers in Tahrongi, or just buy from the AH, but the fletchings sell rather slow on the AH, so you might be looking at just NPCing them.)
    42 to 52 - Insect Fletchings (A 10-level spread. It will be very painful to watch things blow up one after another, but you're only breaking insect wings, which are fairly cheap on the AH and can be farmed at Carpenter's Landing from the San d'Orian side. Insect Fletchings actually do sell on the AH, so this isn't a bad stretch.)
    52 to 53 - Silk Cloth (Should be easy to farm up the materials from Crawlers and get this level.)
    53 to 60 - Hunter's Cotton (This one caps at 63, so it will be the same sort of feeling as Insect Fletchings. However this time, skillups should be mind-numbingly slow since you're past level 50. I'm really not to sure about this stretch, so this might not be the best choice.)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Except he said this:
    For the people who put even a little bit of thought into their post I'm usually nicer, like this one.
    Maybe you missed it. My point was that people who come in here and are too lazy to spend 5 minutes browsing ffxiah or wiki don't deserve a nice response. This person put 3 seconds of thought into their thread so I was nicer and actually helped them. Or didn't you read the rest of the thread, you know where I actually searched out some links for them? Most people deserve that response though, and that's why you see it so much.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I read your response, I liked it actually lol.

I just hate BS responses that come off as "www.ffxiah.com" when the dude outright stated he'll know it's server economy based (meaning he's using FFXIAH already).

I know some people can deserve a just BS response, but at least this guy was a bit more clear on what he wanted. We see eye to eye I guess, lol.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you have Goldsmithing high enough to make Gold Dust, I would recommend making Vellum instead of Parchment. It sells for more and at a decent rate if I remember correctly.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I tried to blitz through guides for goldsmithing (my first crafting attempt) and clothcraft. Those quickly resulted in huge losses which I only recently believe I've recovered from and actually am "making money" crafting now.

For smithing though, I took a completely different approach. I spent literally weeks studying what sold at break-even to small profit. The end result? I actually made around 200k leveling smithing 1-60. It took a helluva lot longer, but it was more rewarding.

Guides are great, but remember everyone reads 'em. Which means that outside of staple mats (rainbow cloth, velvet cloth, ram leather, various ingots) most are gonna be a huge loss that you'll end up NPC'ing. Take time if you want to make gil in the process, jump between leveling your main and subs, and have a mule or two to hold excess inventory as you are waiting for stuff to sell. Patience worked out to be much better for me on smithing than rushing up to cap did. From day one I wasn't going into the hole, or if I did, I quickly recovered it by doing synths that sold slower, but were at least a small profit.