+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

What do you think is better for health.

I see a lot of oh no another DR BG!!!! but i'll play intelligent and ask for personal opnion instead! (ok ok it won't work so w/e!)

I wanna try to invest in my health a bit more, aka my cardio to help me loose some Fat.

I was wondering what is better between.

Walking
    Jogging or
    Bicycle.

Was going like maybe 30min-1h per day.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I personally walk/run combined with Weight lifting. But um, you arent fat so what is there to lose? >.>

BG Level

I have some IT Geek Fat coming!

edit : not because im not Obese that i can't take care of myself

Sea Torques
    BG Level

watch what you are eating is key. sometimes you are too busy being geeky and you forget you're eating a lot of junk that you do not neat.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Take your pick between running and cycling or you could even do both for variety. Unless you are really out of shape walking isn't going to do much for you except burn calories, which is better than no exercise but doesn't sound like what you are after. At least with the other two activities you should be able to get up to your target heart rate and if you go over 30 min. you can start burning some fat.

Personally I would choose running, but I am biased since I am a runner. Also, Mizango mentioning weights is a good point. Try to mix in some form of resistance training 2-3 days/week if you can manage it.

BG Level

WEll i don't have alot of time on my hand latly, that is why i was mostly asking with run/bike/walk.

As for out of shape, I AM really out of shape tbh, i am out of breath after 2km of run lol (jogging not sprinting)

so yeah

Screw all those, go swimming! :D

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Swimming is actually good and fun!

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    Swimming is actually good and fun!
    ^

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

walking is next to useless to be honest.

swimming uses much more of your total body strength and just about every muscle, its a very very good work out .

if you have access to a pool, i would recommend alternating running and cycling each day and follow up with swimming at the end. ( make sure to clean off beforehand a pool filled with sweat is nasty as hell )

if you don't have a nice bike they can be pricy, a new pair of running shoes is a lot cheaper and in my opinion running gives better results

in addition to running -any- ab or stomach exorcise will compliment your workout as your stomach is the core of your body and plays a large roll in physical activities

this looks and sounds like a cheesy ass site, but i agree with and was taught this same stuff in track / cross country in high school
    Flat Stomach Exercises and Diet Tips - How to Lose Belly Fat
    ( we didnt use this site, but the content and info matches what i was taught )

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Bike riding is my favorite.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

interval training ftw

BG Level

My pool is too small to actually be worth doing "swimming exercise" so i will concentrate on Jog/Bike.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kajii View Post
    interval training ftw
    ^

Best way to lose fat, for whichever cardio you choose (really, just do which one you find the funnest and passes the time the quickest)

High-intensity interval training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm lucky. I live on the 11th floor of an apartment building. I can step right outside my door and take a few laps up and down the stairwell. Really gets the heart pumping.

And if you are looking for some variety, I also find jump roping to be good cardio too.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Run/Jog is essentially free, and you can hop out the front door and do it. Biking is similar, but you need some good stretches where you can get out to get a good distance - and while I run on the road it's neighborhoods and back roads or paths and parks - bikers tend to go on the big long busier roads and thus need helmets and hope to not be hit by a car.

Running also you don't have to worry about packing up and putting on a rack on your car when you want to try it when out of town. Walking can be efficient if you are doing it fast but then you might as well run if your knees aren't shit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Biking is not that much fun if your only going to do an hour a day. I bought a nice Cannondale road bike this summer and Ive been going on fairly long trips with friends and its the best idea ive had in a long time. Usually we go out for 40-60km rides and they are amazing.

Jogging is a lot of fun, but I much prefer cycling. Sadly of the 3 options you listed, jogging is likely the best for losing weight and one of the cheapest. But if you want to take up cycling (its a great way to network with people) pink bike and craigslist are sometimes good ways of finding good used/cheap bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    My pool is too small to actually be worth doing "swimming exercise" so i will concentrate on Jog/Bike.
    Not sure if you stated if you were in college or not.

If you ARE, hopefully you have a decent rec center. That is where I started swimming 2 miles a day.

If you ARE NOT, if you have a local YMCA it is relatively inexpensive to get a membership there. I pay 47 bucks a month which averages to about 1.50 a day seeing how I use it everyday.

Swim/run/bike would be your best bet. All works out different areas of your body. Make sure you have a LONG day so you can teach your body how to burn fat. Helps so much.

Biking is a lot of fun and I really enjoy it. I usually like biking with a friend or two rather than solo, but if you live in a good biker friendly community you can put your ipod on and not really worry about cars

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

I'd say swimming or Bicycle, only because I'm a jogger and my knees no longer have cartilage.