BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

BG Auto: The Oil edition

Just need some advice on the frequency of when I should change my oil. My car uses synthetic and as far as I'm aware, that stuff is good for up to 15k KM (just over 9k miles). Is this more or less accurate for synthetic?

Also, while the garage I go to to actually get stuff done for my cars is pretty upfront and honest, they do suggest I change my oil every 6 months. But the thing is, driving in a city I'd be hard pressed to have driven anywhere close to 5k KM in 6 months, let alone 10k (which they recommend for the change).

So my 2nd question is that should I be pretty strict with changing my oil every 6 months as well? Or should I just focus on changing the oil every... I dunno, 10k~12k KM?

My car is from 2010 I should also mention, so it's not the newest car but certainly not super old either.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

The only way to know when to change your oil is to check it. When it starts getting burnt, change it. It really depends on how it was driven since the last oil change. Did you do a couple long road trips? You might get a few more miles. Sit in traffic a lot? Change it sooner. My suggestion, for conventional start checking at 2200-2500 miles, synthetic blend 3000 and full synthetic (the real shit like Royal Purple or Amsoil) 5000. Mobil has a new 1 year 20k mile oil that is $50 for 5qts. I have not seen any tests or anything on it so I won't guess on that.

Worked in a tire/lube shop for 2 years.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ahh I see I see, so it is pretty prudent that I keep tabs on it pretty carefully. I haven't done any long trips recently but conversely it's pretty rare that I sit stagnant in traffic.

How's the best way to tell that the oil is getting burnt?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Good oil is almost cooking oil color. When it starts turning brown and you can't see through it is when it's time to change it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I run synthetic in my F150 and my wife's Escape. My truck is mostly highway driving so I change it every 10000-12000 KMs, depending on my work schedule. I don't run my wife's over 8000 KMs before changing. If I did run regular, I would be changing my truck at ~8000 KM and her's at ~5000 KM. Like Zeb said, if you're unsure, just check it.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Very interesting! I appreciate all the advice

Edit: Just a followup, I should focus on distance primarily then? As in, if it takes me a year or even more before my oil starts to burn and I don't change it every 6 months as 'suggested' by my garage, that's okay?

For reference; my car is almost 17 years old and I change the oil (conventional) once every four months, regardless if I hit specific miles before changing. I've owned my car for six years, live in the city, and have had zero problems.

One of the cheapest insurance you can do for your car is fact changing the oil, so personally I wouldn't mind changing synthetic once every six months.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Title gave me hopes of mad-max shenanigans. Mediocre.

Also, Brotherhood of Steel can suck a dick. Atom Cats 4 lyfe.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Newer cars (like, cars made in the late 90s or later) can go a bit more than the suggested 3 months/3k miles suggestion. If you aren't getting the distance, time doesn't matter--to a point. You definitely wouldn't need to do it 3 or 6 months on the dot but I definitely wouldn't let it go a year or longer. However, the best way to be sure is to check your oil yourself. Checking your oil is incredibly simple. Pop the hood, pull out the dipstick, and give it a look. Is it extremely dark and/or chunky? Yeah, go get that changed. Still looks good? You're fine.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I appreciate all the advice. It's kind of hard to believe the garage guys sometimes as I did go to a Mr. Lube once and they tried to sell me on a ton of shit I didn't need and I've been hesitant since.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    I appreciate all the advice. It's kind of hard to believe the garage guys sometimes as I did go to a Mr. Lube once and they tried to sell me on a ton of shit I didn't need and I've been hesitant since.
    I completely understand through first hand experience. The key is to at least change the oil before it becomes black gunk because that'll mean it's already sludging up your engine.
    __
    Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Title gave me hopes of mad-max shenanigans. Mediocre.

Also, Brotherhood of Steel can suck a dick. Atom Cats 4 lyfe.
    How bout an Atom Cat that infiltrated The Brotherhood of Steel?