+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Chrono Cross question. Read if you remember it.

So i am playing chrono cross again, its been a while, and im playing as lynx just about to get the dragon relics. When do i get glenn back? Do i have to wait until i turn back into serge later on? thanks if you can help.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: Quick Chrono Cross question. Read if you remember it.

Who cares about Glenn. Neofio, Pip and Starky is the only team you want.

As far as I can remember, you lose every character you got with Serge until he turn back into him. I dont remember having to do anything else after to keep him.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

IIRC you get all your Serge people back when you turn back into serge?

I remember you become lynx, get a bunch of people via him then get turned back into Serge and your party members combine creating a huge party pool. (minus Harle)

Thats at least how i remember it, its been ages since i played CC.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Wish you could keep Harle, she was the best character in the game . The scene with Starsky before she leave is my favorite

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Who cares about Glenn.
    you're dead to me ; ;

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bartylby
    Who cares about Glenn.
    you're dead to me ; ;
    all i remember is having serge and glen the rest are a total blank

Is Glenn the dude that does X Slash or something with you? I thought he was cool. I need to play Chrono Cross again, so much I don't remember

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Norris pwned, yellow innate dude with the gun >.>

So was the pirate dude Fargo... Angel/Devil Pip was cool too. Man Chrono Chross had WAY too many people... it was sad

Is Glenn the dude that does X Slash or something with you? I thought he was cool. I need to play Chrono Cross again, so much I don't remember
    Yeah, he was the games 'Frog' in that sense. He was pretty good w/2 Einlanzers.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    Norris pwned, yellow innate dude with the gun >.>

So was the pirate dude Fargo... Angel/Devil Pip was cool too. Man Chrono Chross had WAY too many people... it was sad

Yeah, he was the games 'Frog' in that sense. He was pretty good w/2 Einlanzers.

afaik he was infact Frog. Glenn was Frog's real name and I remember they looked alike (at least when Frog was a human in cs in Trigger). I remember way way when the game came out someone figured out an explination as why frog/glenn doesn't act like he knows Lucca and all that, but I've forgotten.

Cross was mostly to feed fans hunger for the snes game. I wish they would do another sequel that's a little bit better. (felt you spent too much time as lynx and so little time as serge ;_ Though I do remember getting excited over seeing things like the Epoch XD

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Chross takes place after Trigger, everyones back in their own timelines. How could he be Frog if the game takes place roughly over 400years after his time?

I thought he was just a tribute to Frog in a sense... explain if i overlooked something x.x

I feel cheated, because I played Chrono Cross first and didn't know about Trigger, so most of the stuff went over my head. I only played about half of Cross before I stopped (cause I couldn't play the second disc) and some years after played Trigger before finishing Cross. Needless to say quite a few things made sense.

But even though I didn't have nostalgia googles on, Trigger was still fucking awesome.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Chrono Trigger, long disputed best RPG of all time.

No way any sequel could fill its shoes, Chrono Cross failed because the amount of people you could use was just overboard. 64 playable characters was it? Thats just nuts.

It didnt deal with time travel much... dimensions just doesnt cut it! No magus was minus points and only a handful of double/triple techs =/

lack of double/triple techs did suck (but the ones that were there were cool), and I thought the different dimension thing was awesome before I played CT and saw how it should be done. The best use of the dimension thing for me had to be the Isle of the Damned. That was a fucking cool place, especially the boss fight at the end.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

'Cross was good in its own right, but people were expecting the time travel and when it didnt deliver it was 'fuck this game sucks' to many people. I remember alot of reviewers ragging on the game just for that one thing alone.

Fighting Dario was pretty fun, i remember that much and certain characters were good... i just remember alot of *talk to a person* *person talks back* *you gained soandso* *music plays* people that werent unique or special in any way. lol

What i liked most about Chrono Chross was the music, it was fantastic. Not to mention the story once i played it through again...

It was doomed from the start i guess because of overexpectations.... it'd be like a FF7 sequel or movie (Advent Children aside) - it'd blow up on the launchpad because it just in no way can fill the expectations of the masses.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Glenn > All. Dual Einlanzers FTW.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by killerx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartylby
    Who cares about Glenn.
    you're dead to me ; ;
    all i remember is having serge and glen the rest are a total blank
    Yeah. Glenn had one of the best character design in CC, but his backstory still sucked like almost everyone. My party was usually kidd/serge/harle when I wasnt messing with random team, because those 3 were the only one with some sort of story and emotional scene. I used Glenn a lot because of the fanservice, but there really wasnt that much to him beside that. And to people who say he is Frog, he is just an homage to him...there is absolutely nothing that link both character together. One appears 400 years later, is younger than Frog and would be with Cyrus around that time.

It was doomed from the start i guess because of overexpectations.... it'd be like a FF7 sequel or movie (Advent Children aside) - it'd blow up on the launchpad because it just in no way can fill the expectations of the masses.
    Not really. It sucked for hundred of other reason that could have been avoided. Too many characters, very little with more than 1-2 important lines. Both dimension were almost exactly the same, it just felt like you were doing every dungeon twice. Gameplay brought some nice stuff, but it killed the simplicity of Chrono Trigger and the most fun aspect, double/triple tech.

More importantly, story was barely memorable. You waste your time doing sidequest that have no impact on the main story. The "forgotten world" was interesting, and the ending with Lucca's housee was nice as well, but they werent even that good on their own, you had to play CT to understand those parts. Rest of the game made you run left and right for no reason.

Chrono Trigger on the other hand had so many epic scenes. The whole time traveling setting was nice, but it didnt stop story to progress. The first time you hear about Lavos in the future, when lavos fell on Earth, the floating island, magus battle..it was perfect. Everything was tied to the main story one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa
    Glenn > All. Dual Einlanzers FTW.
    Hell yea he was always my most powerful guy.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    Chross takes place after Trigger, everyones back in their own timelines. How could he be Frog if the game takes place roughly over 400years after his time?

I thought he was just a tribute to Frog in a sense... explain if i overlooked something x.x

I seriously played cross when I was a freshman in college so that's about 8ish years ago so keep in mind that my memory is very very vague on it. Also that would have been when I had read the explination in the first place. I am more than willing to admit I could be wrong about it. The game was a bit of a letdown to me. I loved getting to see all the stuff from trigger, but as a stand alone game I felt it was lacking. So when I had heard they were the same I just took it at that and never bothered looking into it more.

BUT I do remember something about time getting smashed into one in the story or something to that effect. (isn't that why there were parallel universes? forgot ) You see the epoch and the future in the game and the island that had the cavemen in it. So it's not that far fetched an idea.

Either way I just wish they would remake Trigger with current ff-style graphics. to this day trigger has been my fav ff game.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

BUT I do remember something about time getting smashed into one in the story or something to that effect. (isn't that why there were parallel universes? forgot ) You see the epoch and the future in the game and the island that had the cavemen in it. So it's not that far fetched an idea.
    The Dead Sea Ruins (Chronopolis) is what you are talking about. It's basically the place where a city of the future was sumonned and langed.

If by caveman, you mean the young Ayla's clone, there was nothing special about it. Gaia navel was just a big forest on top of a high island that never evolved because it wasn't in contact with the rest of the world. They used that as an excuse to toss a prehistoric forest on your way.

[edit]
    I went back and got a script on gamefaqs to reread how everything happened. That part is pretty much how I remembered it. i copy pasted the important part

Lynx/Fate/Serge
    Lynx: 14 years ago, on the night of a terrible storm, the cogs began to turn. That
    night, Wazuki and Miguel set out to sea carrying a sick, young child in their boat.
    That child was you, Serge, after you had been attacked by that panther demon. Your
    poisoned wounds were beyond the healing abilities of the doctors in Termina or even
    Guldove. So they set sail to Marbule in order to see the sage there... not knowing
    how bad the storm would become. Being skilled sailors, the two men were able to survive
    the storm. But they were blown off course and came ashore on this island, where they
    decided to seek shelter. At the time, this research center was off-line due to the
    severity of the storm. It only took 10 minutes for the system to power back up, but by
    then, the Flame had found you... Contact with the Flame healed your young body. But
    that was not all... Once the security card system was rebooteed, it would only grant
    access to you... the "arbiter." You can't imagine the trouble this caused the FATE
    computer system in achieving its objective. Inside of FATE, there was a stand-alone
    circuit that had been kept hidden since the old Mother Brain generation. That circuit
    was designed to start a malfunction, or more precisely, a "rebellion." Who would
    have though that such a small bug, a "traitor" could exist inside of FATE? That hidden
    circuit was based on the initial Ashtear model circuit board, with extra logic added
    by another scientist. FATE itself did not realize that this circuit was present within
    the core of its system. Or, more correctly... ...the circuit was programmed so that
    the moment FATE did detect it, it would erase all record of its detection. Dr. Lucca
    Ashtear... Unbelievably intelligent, and incredibly enthusiastic. You might even go so
    far as to call her a mad scientist. Of course I don't believe it was Lucca alone that
    devised this plan. I"m sure the first curator of this research center, a man named
    Belthasar, had a hand in it, too. FATE! Bring out the traitor, Prometheus...

My head always hurt reading this paragraph
    Kid: Terra Tower... It’s come back to life again...! In the year 2400, during a
    counter-time experiment, the Flame goes out of control... This causes the dimensions
    to rip apart, resultin’ in the Time Crash. Engulfed in an enormous dimensional vortex,
    Chronopolis was hurled ten thousand years back in time. Perhaps it was the awakenin’
    Lavos who pulled the Frozen Flame back through time to it. Maybe so that Lavos, who
    saw the possiblity that some young adventurers might destroy it, could create a backup
    plan. But that ain’t all... At the same time, another city from a different dimension’s
    future, was also thrown back in time. Dinopolis... The future city of the Reptites --
    Azala’s descendants, who had evolved more closely with the planet. Just as Lavos, in
    an attempt to save itself, summoned Chronopolis from the distant future... Perhaps
    our planet beckoned Dinopolis into the past... maybe as a measure against Chronopolis
    and humanity. It wan’t the Dragon Gods who sealed up the Frozen Flame! It was FATE,
    which used the Flame’s power to divide and seal the Dragons in slumber! And now that
    FATE has been defeated, the Dragons will join together again to start their revenge!

Lucca's letter to Kid/Schala
    My dear Kid, How are you doing? I wonder how old you are as you read this letter?
    Perhaps you've matured into a beautiful woman, raising a happy family, by now? I was
    hoping to talk to you in person when you were old enough, but just in case something
    happnes, I'm writing my feelings down on paper and leaving it with Luccia. Perhaps
    you already know... or perhaps you yourself are also now caught up in some historic
    crisis as a result of all this. But, anyway... A long time ago, we -- my friends and I,
    that is -- changed the future in order to save our planet from being devoured by Lavos,
    a monster from some unknown planet. We still feel proud of the role we played in saving
    our world, and in how we were so freely able to change the flow of time. But sometimes
    I think of the darker side of what we did... What has become of the future that was
    "once" supposed to have existed? Where did the "time" that now is no longer allowed
    to exist "go?" It is true that, thanks to our altering the flow of history, we were
    able to save so many lives and prevent so much sadness and suffering... But when you
    think of it, we also caused the deaths of so many that were meant to have come into
    existence in the time line we destroyed, and also caused new sadness and suffering
    further along in the new future we created... That is why I worry that someone
    might seek revenge on us for what we did. I have had a constant dread in my heart that
    someone in our new future will travel back in time, just like we did, and try and kill
    or capture my friends and me. So, even if something dreadful does befall me, Kid, know
    that what was meant to happen will happen, and that I was always prepared for the worst.
    Oh, but don't you dare think the Great Lucca is going to go down without a fight! (I've
    got a reputation to uphold!) Whatever lies waiting for us around the next corner better
    watch out, 'cause it's gonna find a pretty mean counter-attack coming its way! Kid...
    When I think of you, I remember someone I once met a long, long time ago in the distant
    past... Heh! But she was the complete opposite of the you in this time line... So
    quiet and gentle... Someday I'll also tell you about her... When you are ready to know
    of your real name and heritage. I'm not the slightest bit worried about you, Kid! I
    know that, no matter what happens, "he" will always be there looking out for you!
    Or perhaps he has already found you and is there by your side as you read this? If so,
    hello, Janus! Please take good care of my "little sister" for me! There is so much more
    I want to tell you, but I must leave it for another time. Don't worry! Everything is
    okay! We will overcome whatever woes may occur! That's for certain! Later, when you're
    all grown up, I'll come visit you and we'll talk over tea. I look foward to that day!
    Well, anyway Kid, until we meet again... Forever and ever your friend, (No matter which
    time line it is!)
    yours sincerely,
    Lucca Ashtear
    P.S. Cut out the tomboy act! Believe me! You'll become a beautiful young lady one day,
    or my name isn't "Lucca the Great!"

Reptile POV
    Face: When I was still human, I was locked up here, and I have been here ever since...
    This tower is a fortress belonging to the ancient Reptites... A symbol of revenge,
    brought against mankind by the Dragons... With the defeat of FATE, the seal has been
    broken and this tower has surfaced... In the eyes of the Dragons, we humans are the
    foes... A brain that has developed abnormally to 3 times the original size in the span
    of 3 million years... We humans have evolved at an enormous rate because of our
    contact with Lavos's flame... In a sense, mankind is Lavos's offspring... We humans
    are extraneous to this planet... Now... How will you fight, Serge...

Belthasar explaining everything. What are the dragon and who is Harle
    Prophet: Oh, my name is Belthasar... In the ancient, magical Kingdom of Zeal, I was
    known as a sage of reason... Well, that was up until the Queen of Zeal attempted to
    harness the power of Lavos... Let's just say, things got out of control and Lavos
    created a dimensional vortex that threw me far into the future! There, I seized the
    oppurtunity to study the science of the future... I was then able to apply to that
    the knowledge I brought from my own era, including magic, which was long lost in the
    future. Anyway, this led me to make huge progress in the research of time. Well, that
    researchled to the creation of Chronopolis and to the Time Crash... You might think I
    really blew it, but perhaps it was really my finest hour! Ho-ho-hoh... Anyway... I
    created a compact time machine that I dubbed the "Neo Epoch." I used it to time warp
    to this age to learn of Chronopolis and FATE's plans, and to see how things were
    turning out.
    [Flashback shows Terra Tower.]
    Belthasar: Terra Tower is really a city of the Reptites from another dimension's
    future... It was originally "Dinopolis"... The castle of Azala's descendants, who
    achieved an evolution much more intimate with our planet. Dinopolis was drawn into
    this dimension's past about ten thousand years ago... This was done so that it would
    serve as a counter-balance against Chronopolis, which Lavos pulled here.
    [Picutres of jets attacking Dinopolis.]
    Belthasar: Needless to say, a fierce battle ensued... In the end, Chronopolis emerged
    as the victor, and the Reptite's fortress was sealed away by FATE...
    But more important now is the role the Dragons play in all of this... Originally, the
    whole Archipelago of El Nido was known as the Sea of Eden. This was because it was
    where the Dragon Gods resided. But then FATE sealed away the Dragon Gods' powers, in
    effect becoming a god itself. Thus the islands where the new godhead, FATE, existed
    came to be called the Sea of Eden instead. Perhaps you didn't realize it, but you
    were used by the Dragon Gods to eliminate FATE! It was not true that the Dragon Gods
    sealed away the Frozen Flame... Rather, it's quite the opposite... It was FATE that
    used the power of the Flame to seal up the Dragon Gods. In reality, the Dragon Gods are
    in opposition to man, while FATE itself was actually the protector of humanity! The
    Dragon Gods were originally a singular plasma life-form... ...A living accumulation of
    the planet's energy! Originally it was a biological machine used to control the powers
    of nature in the future society of the Reptites. In order to control the natural energy
    itself, FATE divided the one Dragon God entity up into 6 weaker plasma life-forms...
    Then scattered them across the land and sealed them away. Their dragon-like appearance
    are just pseudo-guises... ...Temporary forms they take so that they can appear in this
    dimension. But all that changed when FATE was vanquished and its powerhold was eliminated!
    At that moment, the seven Dragons who had been rendered almost powerless and forgotten...
    traveled across the dimensions to reunite into a single entity!
    Karsh: Seven Dragons? I thought there were only six!?
    Belthasar: There were six Dragons you knew of and one more hidden Dragon you didn't...
    Like the second moon that once was lost, but later found... Although the same planet,
    my world didn't have two moons! Look up at the night sky and you will see seven celestial
    bodies... Five stars and two moons... Five brother stars that correspond to the five
    colored Dragons, ruling like gods over the night skies... One moon that corresponds to
    the white Sky Dragon... And another darker, daughter moon to counterbalance them.
    The Fire Dragon, the Water Dragon, the Green Dragon, the Earth Dragon, the Black Dragon,
    the Sky Dragon, and one more... The final Dragon... The dark moon Dragon... The one
    who was to work to free the other Dragons from their bondage by the FATE computer...
    The child the others created on the night of the electric storm that temporarily
    caused FATE to loosen its hold on them... I believe you knew her as... Harle.

Belthasar: The Dragon Gods were the essence of nature on this planet... Perhaps we can
    consider what's happening as our planet's vengeance on us... To finally sweep away the
    unwanted humans from the face of the blue planet...
    Karsh: First it was FATE, now it's the planet...?
    Belthasar: Or vice-versa... But either way you look at it, now's the time to set things
    right. The future of mankind... The destiny of this planet... Everything depends on the
    next battle you will fight. But unfortunately the time for us to part has come...

Belthasar: That thing... the "Dragon God"... is only a quasi-existence... ...A
    temporary form that the real Dragon God uses in order to appear within this dimension.
    The actual Dragon God was consumed long ago, in the distant past... Integrated by the
    entity known as Lavos in a time on the other side of the dimensional darkness. The Frozen
    Flame is a splinter from the extra-terrestrial being Lavos. The one who connects with the
    Frozen Flame, in effect, links with Lavos itself. As the mediator between Lavos and living
    things, that one will gain extraordinary powers! By binding with the new seed of destruction...
    the "Devourer of Time!"

Belthasar: The Devourer of Time is a new life-form... Born out of the fusion of a life-form
    from this planet with Lavos, who nests on the far side of the dimensional void. In the far-off
    future, when the fusion becomes complete, IT will awaken... Then, the Devourer of Time will
    begin to consume all space-time continua... Despair and hatred... To return all things to
    nothingness... That is what IT desires. Here... Take this with you.

Schala/kid, timesplit
    Lucca: So you finally made it, Serge... When did this sorry tale all begin...? Was it
    10 years ago, when you almost drowned here? Or was it 14 years ago, when you were wounded
    by that panther demon that attacked you... ...resulting in you being carried to Chronopolis
    where you came into contact with FATE and the Frozen Flame...? Or perhaps it was even 2,400
    years in the future, when the Time Crash hurled Chronopolis back to prehistoric times?
    Or even it could have been 12,000 B.C., when an ancient magical kingdom met its end after
    trying to use Lavos...? Each is close to being correct... And yet at the same time, so far
    from the right answer! The true beginning was during the destruction of the ancient Kingdom
    of Zeal! As the palace collapsed around her, Schala was sucked into a dimensional vortex
    along with the Lavos Mammon Machine. Schala and Lavos became unified into one even more
    powerful entity that would evolve into the Devourer of Time. Filled with the hatred
    and sadness of Lavos, half of Schala's mind became set on destroying all of existence. Yet
    at the same time, the other half of her mind desired to save the universe and to be
    rescued herself. As Schala fell through the time gate in this condition, she heard your
    crying echoeing through time... That is when her story and yours began to intertwine...
    It is also when the past and the future began to intersect, and when the world became
    divided into two... Led by the pitiful crying the young Serge made as the panther demon's
    poison took hold of him... Princess Schala traveled ten thousand years in time to try and
    make contact with this dimension! This caused a raging magnetic storm that resulted in
    FATE's system malfunction, which led Serge to the Frozen Flame. Yes, Serge... The sound of
    your crying touched the heart of Princess Schala... Before the destructive mind-set could
    become dominant, she cloned herself and sent her copy into this dimension. Schala left her baby
    daughter-clone with her ancient pendant, possessing magical powers. This was to safeguard her
    daughter-clone in life-and-death situations. The pendant would rewind time a little, sending
    her daughter-clone into a safer point in the immediate past. That's right... Kid is Schala's
    daughter-clone!

Lucca: And now, about "Project Kid" ... the time control project Belthasar planned out. The
    whole project existed to lead you to this one, special point in time! The founding of
    Chronopolis, the Time Crash, and the battle between FATE and the Dragon Gods... It was all
    coordinated so that you would get your hands on the Chrono Cross and come to this place!
    Of course, Kid was not to know anything about this whole plan until later, when all this will
    finish. Further in the future, Kid is meant to travel back ten years in time from now to save
    Serge from drowning. And then, Kid was also meant to call Serge into the other world as he
    spoke with Leena here on Opassa Beach! You're our last hope... Our final chance... Only
    you, who came into contact with Schala, and Kid, Schala's clone-daughter, can do it!
    In the darkness that exists on the other side of time, Schala has been integrated with the
    Devourer of Time! Please, Serge! Release Princess Schala from the binds of that monster and
    her own hatred! Show us, the life-forms that exist on this planet, what our new future will
    be...

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Read it twice, took my knowledge of Chrono Trigger (beat it again recently) and finally pieced together the story after not playing Chrono Cross in years...

Now i remember why i liked the 'Chrono' games, the storyline is so confusing and leaves so many questions about alternate timelines that its interesting...

Chrono Cross after all that reading in my eyes feels like a much better game, even with all its shortcomings involving way too many useless characters. Hell, in the least its a damn good book that could be bound and sold.

Good read, reminds me of the grand old days of RPGs.