+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 118 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo 3DS     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level

Nintendo 3DS

It deserves (a new) one, no? I don't like using posting about it in the console war thread for a couple reasons. I might miss any presently known(as of the creation of this thread) information about the 3DS - feel free to fix that. This thread is more about hardware than games(games get their own threads), but that can include how developers feel about the hardware(and that can be shown through software support).

The Official Nintendo 3DS E3 site: http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/
    Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

Specs from Nintendo
    Introducing the Nintendo 3DS system.

Size (when closed):
    Approximately 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, 0.8 inches tall.

Weight:
    Approximately 8 ounces.

Look:
    Final design is TBA.

Top Screen:
    3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

Touch Screen:
    3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen.

Cameras:
    One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.

Pre-Installed Software:
    TBA

Nintendo 3DS Game Card:
    2 GB Max. at launch.

Wireless Communication:
    Can communicate in the 2.4 GHz band. Multiple Nintendo 3DS systems can connect via a local wireless connection to let users communicate or enjoy competitive game play. Systems also can connect to LAN access points to access the Internet and allow people to enjoy games with others. Will support IEEE 802.11 with enhanced security (WPA/WPA2). Nintendo 3DS hardware is designed so that even when not in use, it can automatically exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS systems or receive data via the Internet while in sleep mode.

Game Controls:
    Touch screen, embedded microphone, A/B/X/Y face buttons, + Control Pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "Slide Pad" that allows 360-degree analog input, one inner camera, two outer cameras, motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

Other Input Controls:
    3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), Home button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button. The telescoping stylus is approximately 4 inches when fully extended.

Input/Output:
    A port that accepts both Nintendo 3DS game cards and game cards for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack.

Sound:
    Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen.

Battery:
    Lithium ion battery details TBA.

Languages:
    TBA

Parental Controls:
    Parental controls similar to the Nintendo DSi system will be included.
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...graphics_core/

Japanese graphics processor developer Digital Media Professional (DMP) announced today that Nintendo has adopted its "PICA200" 3D graphics core for the system.

According to DMP, PICA200 is a 3D graphics core that's designed for mobile phones, amusement machines, game consoles and digital appliances. The chip makes use of DMP's proprietary "Maestro Technology," which implements complex shader functionality in hardware, allowing for high quality graphics at the low power dissipation required of portable devices.

Commenting on the announcement today, DMP CEO Tatsuo Yamamoto said, "Our company has the high goal of realizing such high quality graphic expression as game consoles and glass-free 3D while keeping power dissipation low. We are pleased that our long-developed Maestro Technology has been of assistance."
    Tech vid showing off the GPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-xxUyJvQQ

Another:
    http://www.nifco-at.co.jp/

Games announced so far:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ma...d-more-for-3ds

* Activision - DJ Hero 3D
    * AQ Interactive - cubic ninja
    * Atlus - Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
    * Capcom - Resident Evil Revelations, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (working title)
    * Electronic Arts - FIFA Soccer, Madden NFL, The Sims 3
    * Gameloft - Asphalt GT
    * Harmonix - Music game
    * Hudson Soft - Bomberman, Deca Sports, Kororinpa
    * Konami - Baseball, Contra, Frogger, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample", Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven
    * Level-5 - Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (working title)
    * Majesco - BloodRayne: The Shroud, A Boy and His Blob, Face Racers: Photo Finish, Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengetti, Martha Stewart, WonderWorld Amusement Park
    * Marvelous - Bokujyoumonogatari 3D* (working title)
    * Namco Bandai - Dragon Ball, Gundam, Pac-Man & Galaga, Ridge Racer, Super Robot (all working titles)
    * Nintendo - Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Kart, nintendogs+cats, Paper Mario, PilotWings Resort, Star Fox 64 3D, Steel Diver
    * Rocket - Crash-City GP, VS-robo
    * SEGA - Sonic, Super Monkey Ball (working titles)
    * Square Enix - Codename: Chocobo Racing 3D, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts
    * Take-Two - Carnival Games
    * Tecmo Koei - Dead or Alive 3D, Dynasty Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, Samurai Warriors 3D (all working titles)
    * Tomy - Lovely Lisa 3D, Naruto Shippuden Action
    * THQ - de Blob 2, Kung Fu Panda Kaboom of Doom, Marvel Super Hero Squad Infinity Gauntlet, The Penguins of Madagascar, Puss N Boots, Saints Row: Drive-By
    * Ubisoft - Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy, Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike, Driver Renegade, Hollywood 61 (working title), Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    * Warner Bros. - Batman, LEGO
    *: Harvest Moon 3D

Banned.

BG Level

What has me thinking is the 3D feature. Creating the 3D effect requires a lot of power and yet you can easily turn it off.

I heard a rumor that when games have 3D turned off, they gain a x2 supersampling AA effect.

Also the screens remain 1) way too small, 2) criminally separated.

Banned.

BG Level

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...downplays_3ds/
    In an interview conducted at E3 on the 16th, Hirai told the site, "Based off internally conducted research, naked-eye 3D for portables does not have high precision, and at present there are limitations."

Banned.

BG Level

Also this seems to fuck up people who are left-handed?

I don't understand why they didn't add two "sticks"(the other either mirroring the other or being below the four buttons) - but I am sure there are a couple reasons which I don't care to know.

New Odin
    BG Level

I'd rather have PS2/Xbox level graphics than 3D on my handheld.

Especially if the effect is more of a gimmick.

However, if it can emulate PS1 in the future and is backwards compatible (which it is?) then I guess I'll end up getting it, especially if Sony doesn't announce PSP2 next year.

How does it fuck up lefties though?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

2 Gigabytes (hoping it's not gigabits, but the abbreviation doesn't seem to indicate that) for a 3DS card is a pretty massive upgrade over the 128 MB limit on current cartridges.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    How does it fuck up lefties though?
    Analogue stick on the left. Before they'd often swap the dpad functions to the face buttons for lefties, but if a game uses the analogue stick there's... not really any option for them now.

New Odin
    BG Level

It isn't all the same? I haven't ever had such a problem with it on my PSP as a lefty.

Either way, with just one analog stick it might be hard to provide more complex controls so I kinda wished this one would have two.

Banned.

BG Level

Touch screen. Stylus.

New Odin
    BG Level

I see what'cha mean now!

Fucking gimmicks! I'm screwed.

Banned.

BG Level

For someone with nothing to say you've said far too much.

As far as graphics go, it is estimated to hang around last gen - with better shaders.

I would've thought previously that the DS was the worst platform to create 3D graphics for, I mean 2000 polies on screen at a time is fucking horrendous. I hope to god this puts out more than the DS (which is looking good at the moment).

Yet, apart from the upgrade in hardware which I'm grateful for, I'm not that enthusiastic for this. The 3D aspect might be cool at first, but the novelty will soon wear off if it isn't a part of the gameplay.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Being able to turn the 3D off using a slider, does this mean that the games are only going to have optional 3D (or more likely developer discretion?)? If that would be the case, could the non-3D DSes play the games with optional 3D?

Banned.

BG Level

3D can't be apart of the "gameplay". That doesn't even make sense. It is a visual effect.

EDIT: Also, holy shit dmitri. Read the thread lol.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    I heard a rumor that when games have 3D turned off, they gain a x2 supersampling AA effect.
    Would be surprised if it could swap AA on/off on the fly at the touch of a switch given most PC games require it to stop for a few seconds to reload resources or something. Regardless, technically I can't why they *couldn't* do it. 3-D has it rendering every scene twice together, so if it could do that, it could damn well just as easily do 2/4x AA for single-screen renders.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I dunno, it does seem gimmicky but playing Magic Eye games does have some kind of an appeal to me.

Then again, I think any 3D (whether TV or movie) is a gimmick that they're trying to push because of today's GOTTAHAVEIT kids.

* Marvelous - Bokujyoumonogatari 3D (working title)
    In case you want to update the OP, "Bokujyou Monogatari" is the Japanese name for Harvest Moon, so it's Harvest Moon 3D.

I saw it spelled that way in the press release too but I'm not too sure why they didn't translate.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I was totally on the same page with you guys thinking the 3d in the 3DS would look terrible and be gimmicky but it FAR exceeded what I thought it was going to be. The 3d looks really good. It sinks into the screen instead of coming out from it (obviously). The slider does more than turn the 3d on and off it allows you to fine tune it and find the sweet spot that looks best to your own eyes.

I agree the screens are too small and the single analog stick isn't the greatest. The analog stick does work really well though and feels nicer than the psp's.

But really the 3d was very impressive and it was nice that it didn't require glasses.

From what they were saying at the Nintendo booth (you can't always trust the people working in the booth for tech specs) the 3DS has a better processor than the regular DS and will be able to handle slightly (again not sure on how much better) more polygons.

Kid Icharus and Metal Gear Solid were the best demos I saw. Though Starfox 64 3d wasn't too bad either.

I can't wait for the new Martha Stewart game for 3DS.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Not sure if pics of this were shown yet but...
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398365

Starfox 64 3DS pics, hot hot