+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valheim     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Valheim

(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread about this game)

It's a coop survival game released this month by a tiny Swedish studio, and it has sold more than 4 millions copies already.

Building houses, traveling the sea, exploring procedurally generated islands, fighting bosses, crafting, killing mobs, going in dungeons, harvesting...

It looks pretty good I think with the lighting system and visual effects. Everything is pixelated though so not everyone may appreciate the art style.

Great game, but I just hope it becomes better optimized. We built a stone fort and my computer has an aneurism whenever I load in

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Great game, but I just hope it becomes better optimized. We built a stone fort and my computer has an aneurism whenever I load in

I gotta reload like 2-4 times until I see the sparks flying smoothly on the start screen a lot of the time and then the game runs great.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Been playing this Co-Op with 2 friends. Extremely fun game to get lost in, building cool forts/settlements, etc. Its just a joy to play, definitely recommend with friends but Its not awful solo either. Tiered progression in terms of moving to next zone after upgrading armor/etc is pretty nicely balanced too.

looking forward to any and all improvements they make during alpha/beta

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Yea, Unity games usually require a lot of optimization. Another game I'm following (Crowfall) uses Unity and there are issues with frame rate during larger-scale battles, even though they are working on optimizations for years now.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Really reminds me of classic WoW with the graphics. Alliance starting area in particular, just empty.

My friend started a server and is basically doing all the building. I hopped in and we went dungeon crawling. Had some laughs cuz every time we sailed on our raft we were against the wind, so it was a slow sail fail. Looking forward to our little outposts getting bigger and building a big viking boat. Hopefully we'll get more people on the server.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    Had some laughs cuz every time we sailed on our raft we were against the wind
    You too eh? Its a running joke on our server too. Winds fucking omnipotent in this game, I've convinced its programmed to always be against you lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Thats why the 4th boss's power is OP.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I gotta say, I knew it was a bad idea, but I just finished(minus touch-ups) building a Mountainside Castle/Base out of Stone and I thoroughly enjoyed not only the challenge but how the snow-covered stone looks on the side of the mountain.

Edit: Speaking of which, Small photo-dump of a few of our builds.

Spoiler: show

View of Mountain Keep from Stairs

Another angle of the keep.

Keep Guest quarters

My room, sure can't wait for that Hearth and Home update to add flair to rooms!

View of our second settlement, our "Main" area, complete with Dock for transporting Raw Ore on boat since it doesnt teleport.

Another angle of the Settlement.

Closer look at our makeshift dock lol. Stairs for shoving doggos on to boat, who knows how to get them off?

We've only made it to the Silver age, as far as i know its just 1 more ore ahead of us once we kill the dragon, I think theres a 5th boss too but I dont think he unlocks anything, and the "Mistlands" wont be coming for some time (Even though its on the roadmap of 2021). Honestly, I'm most excited for QOL and decoration updates, but looking forward to more battle content too

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

So, I'm trying to give this a try, but the camera wont stop rotating at a constant 360 degrees. Anyone run into this/have a fix?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    So, I'm trying to give this a try, but the camera wont stop rotating at a constant 360 degrees. Anyone run into this/have a fix?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/com...mera_spinning/

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Yea, i googled after I posted and got that...game seems like itd be more fun with people and stuff. i ran around a bit punching things

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I died this morning for the first time in a dungeon to an OP skeleton. Ran back to my death spot to get my stuff and was one-shotted. I'm read to start over.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    Yea, i googled after I posted and got that...game seems like itd be more fun with people and stuff. i ran around a bit punching things
    There are public servers I think you could join, the map itself is huge but IDK how they work.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Just got this, hmu on steam if you wanna noob it up.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Just be warned, doing co-op is a real data drainer if your on any sort of data cap for your internet, found out the hard way. Game is fun as hell when you have people to play with though.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Game is barely over a gig in size, which makes me think it's the world seeds and data transfer that's gonna get you, not unlike minecraft. This game really does just feel like better minecraft, maybe minecraft and WoW having a baby and then that baby had a dream

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Coming To Xbox & Game Pass

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Pro-tip to anyone getting into this game (I've played the living hell out of it). As new content is released, unexplored biomes will update when the new patches come out. If you already explored the areas you're locked into what's already there. I ended up having to roll a new map when the plains/Mountains mini updates came out adding new content. "Mistlands" is in development now. I'll prolly start a fresh playthrough with my existing character when that hits.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I also wanna put out there that Mods are amazing (RIP Xbros), I recommend the Diablo-Style Loot one on Nexus/Vortex Mod Manager, as well as the Creature Difficulty adjuster (That lets you control how hard enemies are, and push them well beyond what is on in "Default" difficulty, included bosses!), both play well together too.

Also recommend playing with friends if at all possible. Not necessary, but certainly like Minecraft, enhances the experience.

Also maybe beat the game now on vanilla, enjoy your world, then when the new Mistlands comes out, boot up the mods, start a new world from scratch, and begin again! I think I've restarted that game 4-5 times now with friends, even did it once in VR.

Oh, yah, theres a Valheim VR mod, and its extremely well done. You can fight and chop down trees and all that nice stuff with swinging motions and so on. Bow shooting handles nicely, its more than just putting you in first person, its a fully interactable VR mod, so very atmospheric, highly recommend if you have a PC-connected VR Headset at some point.