Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of the box.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Out of the box.

The SAM tanking thread has inspired me to get the thinking cap on with out-of-the-box ideas. I was contemplating posting this under the SAM tanking thread, but this really has nothing to do with SAM tanking. (Reason I contemplated posting this under there is because I didn't know if this idea deserves it's own thread).

Anyway, here goes.

Note* This isn't my idea, but would be Yobun's out of ClanBEB from Lakshmi.
    Original Post on BEB

How about this: PLD main healer. PLD can get a sickeningly large amount of MP regen/tick.

Auto Refresh Gear:

+1 Auto Refresh
    +1 Parade Gorget
    +1 Vermillion Cloak
    +1 Sanction
    +3 Ballad/Evokers (Discontinue the refresh from RDM, because if you had one, you wouldn't need PLD to main heal anyway)

And you can get +2 from Juice (If you feel like carrying them around.)
    In total, that gives you +7/tick (9 with juice). Also, PLD can get +20% Cure potency with Apollo's and Hospitaler earring.

Now, for HMP:

+10 Dark Staff
    +2 Relaxing earring
    +1 Antivenom earring
    +2 Hiearch Belt
    +4 Lord's Sabatons
    +1 Invigorating Cape
    (+4 from Vermillion Cloak/Parade Gorget/Auto Refresh/Sanction)
    +5 Ginger Cookie

Giving a total of +29 HMP

Now, this is theory only, as I've never actually seen a PLD/WHM main heal. But, the facts are there. I don't see how this wouldn't work with that much MP return.

Edit: Implemented original link

Black Belt
    BG Level

still lacks haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin
    still lacks haste.
    This would be the biggest flaw.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yay for no conserve mp/fast cast/cure time- and no mp for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    PLD can get quite a bit of MP as /WHM. But, you're going to have to keep in mind, this would probably be the last resort if you didn't have some sort of main healer already.

Don't forget not having any -enmity at all. And no, a PLD/WHM with strictly MP and healing gear would not be able to take hits much better than a WHM.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've shared main healing duties on a 6 man Jailer of Fortitude with Wafik before as PLD/NIN, but it's not something you can do in most situations for the reasons stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku
    PLD can get quite a bit of MP as /WHM. But, you're going to have to keep in mind, this would probably be the last resort if you didn't have some sort of main healer already.
    With all the SMNs that get stuck main healing, I would think this a better alternative.

Had a PLD/WHM main healer in Qufim once. o.O

Actually it was my idea since no one else was seeking at the time. We had 2 NINs in the party. It worked out well, for level 22...

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Wouldn't work for the same reason smn healers don't work.

Would be a decent healer, not as good as WHM or RDM but in a pinch it could work. Probably better then SMN. Also being able to cover in a pinch would likely be easier, and added stoneskin/blink would be nice for that. Maybe for like BCNMs or something where double duty jobs can pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    Wouldn't work for the same reason smn healers don't work.
    Um, Cure IV is actually helpful and PLD getting hate isnt such a bad thing.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Hehe i had to do this on Temperance once when we had like 4 PLDs and only 1 RDM as a healer. So yeah as a Taru i helped curing a little with MP gear (i was /WAR lol). I know i can have like 900MP or more as a PLD/WHM.

But still, don't have Haste, weak Clear Mind, no -na spells... I just did it to help but no one should rely on a PLD/WHM for main healer regularly. Maybe if you're fighting something easy and you really lack on healers at this moment, but you will never say "damn, we need a PLD/WHM main healer for this !" lol.

I can see enmity owning while they were curing and they would end up tanking while they are suppose to be "healing".

The main reason RDM heal end game is for the simple reason that they never run out of MP, no? With this much of an MP return, I figure this could be somewhat comparable.

Edit: Other than the lack of certain spells.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Uh... people use RDMs to main heal in merit parties because they have these things called Refresh and Haste, and at last check my Spell Menu on PLD doesn't have those spells.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah and RDM can be the only mage in a party not just for healing, but also because they can Sleep, Dispel, Paralyze, Slow, Silence, Haste etc... PLDs don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    Uh... people use RDMs to main heal in merit parties because they have these things called Refresh and Haste, and at last check my Spell Menu on PLD doesn't have those spells.
    I'm fairly sure it's not because of refresh, but because of convert.

Edit: But realize, I said this would be but a last resort. (Above SMN)

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

We do have rampart though, can give all the melees extra defense every 5 minutes give or take merits.

RDM can get 9 MP a tic if you include their Refresh also

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I've been in a few meritparties where we've had a pld/nin acting as a main healer with a rdm as backup. That actually works out really well because it frees up the red mage to focus on hasting everyone and dispelling.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku
    Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    I'm fairly sure it's not because of refresh, but because of convert.

Edit: But realize, I said this would be but a last resort. (Above SMN)
    Agreed, could be useful as a last resort but clearly not on a regular basis. And don't forget no RDM could keep his MP up all the time with just Convert without Refresh, it's because of both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast