FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Law Shut Down

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us.../22scotus.html

And thus Goldman Sach's iron grip on government has grown tighter.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Shit is going to be awesome. Real life Shinra Electric Power Company, Yes Please!

blax n gunz
    BG Level

It doesn't seem to have completely shut down all of McCain-Feingold, only the part that prohibits all but 'issue ads' funded by corporate entities. The bans on soft money and limits on direct contributions are intact.

Banned.

BG Level

The world just got a little bit better.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Persident Obama, brought to you by McDonalds, I'm lovin it!

(PS: Glass America)

The Best Democracy Money Can Buy.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

This country is finished unless something is done to end corporate personhood and the wholesale purchase of our government by corporations and scummy propaganda groups created by them such as Citizens United.

http://www.savedemocracy.net/

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

As much as I hate bringing up Canada all the time (I don't!) here the law is $5000 maximum personal donation and companies cannot donate. A few years ago a bunch of people got in shit when it was found out that the elementary level children of some businessmen had also donated $5000 to the same political party as their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    This country is finished unless something is done to end corporate personhood and the wholesale purchase of our government by corporations and scummy propaganda groups created by them such as Citizens United.

http://www.savedemocracy.net/
    Is there a way to support this that doesn't involve Alan Grayson?

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    Is there a way to support this that doesn't involve Alan Grayson?
    Yeah, there is it's called PULL UP YOUR FUCKING PANTIES AND JUST FUCKING SUPPORT IT WHO CARES IF ALAN GRAYSON IS BEHIND IT OR NOT!

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Corporations controlling government is just the next logical step of fascism.
    Fixed for reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Yeah, there is it's called PULL UP YOUR FUCKING PANTIES AND JUST FUCKING SUPPORT IT WHO CARES IF ALAN GRAYSON IS BEHIND IT OR NOT!
    Hey, I'm about supporting causes. I'm just not a fan of being used by some political circus monkey in order to do so.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    Hey, I'm about supporting causes. I'm just not a fan of being used by some political circus monkey in order to do so.
    Well guess what? That political circus monkey is the one with a vote in Congress and we're not. Buck up, junior.

Edit: We should also be lucky that there's a congressman left with the balls to stand up and try to do something. I mean, where's the fuck is Kucinich?!

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I'm torn.

If the American people cannot tell or don't care which candidates are bought and paid for by certain special interests, then the American people deserve their Haliburton overlords.

But basically what this comes down to is that the only candidate money can't buy is Russ Feingold, so he'd better get his shit together for a 2016 run.

Banned.

BG Level

I don't really understand what anyone is saying in this thread, so I'll pose a legitimate question to supporters of this act?

What is the distinction between a corporation and an individual? How is a corporation more than the equivalent of a group of friends who donate together?

Essentially, how is McDonalds different from Bob and Steve's 10-member book club? If they both agree internally to give money as a block, what's the difference?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    It doesn't seem to have completely shut down all of McCain-Feingold, only the part that prohibits all but 'issue ads' funded by corporate entities. The bans on soft money and limits on direct contributions are intact.
    I knew when I wrote this that people wouldn't understand it and start losing their heads over campaign contributions, an issue not touched by the decision.

Banned.

BG Level

I knew when I wrote this that people wouldn't understand it and start losing their heads over campaign contributions, an issue not touched by the decision.
    It is unfortunate that this has yet to be touched by the court, but those limitations on free speech are also blatantly unconstitutional.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    It is unfortunate that this has yet to be touched by the court, but those limitations on free speech are also blatantly unconstitutional.
    And the line between bribery and campaign contributions would then be...?

But yeah keep pretending to be a constitutional scholar, I'm sure sooner or later that ol' Supreme Court will see the light and do things how you see them.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i think you are underestimating the magnitude of this ruling

american democracy is done for

Banned.

BG Level

And the line between bribery and campaign contributions would then be...?
    The line between bribery and campaign contributions would be.... *big shocker coming*... where the line has always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Bribery
    Bribery, a form of pecuniary corruption, is an act implying money or gift given that alters the behavior of the recipient
    Quote Originally Posted by Campaign finance
    Campaign finance refers to the fundraising and spending that political campaigns do in their election races. As campaigns have many expenditures, ranging from the cost of travel for the candidate and others to the purchasing of air time for TV advertisements, candidates often devote substantial time and effort raising money to finance campaigns.

How, exactly, do you feel the two overlap?

But yeah keep pretending to be a constitutional scholar, I'm sure sooner or later that ol' Supreme Court will see the light and do things how you see them.
    Except, to the best of my knowledge, they didn't have the opportunity to obliterate the entire act because the entire act was not being challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Solefald View Post
    i think you are underestimating the magnitude of this ruling

american democracy is done for
    Are you being sarcastic?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast