+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random GPU spikes.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Random GPU spikes.

I recently bought a 1080ti and after about 2 weeks of owning it I began noticing random spikes in GPU usage, frametime and FPS during games and benchmarks http://i.imgur.com/nHrhIAr.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/QFZMpXf.jpg . This is kinda weird because it only happens like once every 1-2 hours or so. So i ended up using windows reset to reformat, even picked the option "clean the drive". After that the issue persisted so I contacted MSI to ask for help, which suggested I RMA my card since it was so new. Contacted Corsair which had me try different PCI cables/different ports on my PSU but that didn't help either and set up an RMA.

Dusted off my old 970 and put it in and low and behold.... same issue http://i.imgur.com/bxlDWGl.jpg .

I'm not sure where to go from here, brightside is I don't have to RMA my 1080ti I guess.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I had a similar issue with two NVidia cards awhile ago. It ended up being a combo of Search Indexing and some sort of Windows Defender thing. Not sure if it's the same case but I had full usage spikes for a few seconds every so often that would lock up my games.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This is over basically as soon as it begins, just one dip for a second then back to normal. Almost like the GPU us losing power then getting it back instantly. There is no additional CPU usage spikes or anything I dunno =/

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Just for elimination; switch off your security (including the built in windows stuff) and stay off the intarwebz while you do, does it persist?
    Keep the resource monitor open, sort it on CPU, does anything spike at the same time?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It may have been windows related and the reset didn't get rid of it, it did tell me "reset could not remove all user files" when it was done but there wasn't anything... Idk. Anyways downloaded a fresh install of Windows and made a boot USB and reformatted the old fashion way. Turned off auto updates and ran a benchmark overnight and haven't seen any big spikes so I'm hopeful.

My screen now flickers/blinks during boot up though... Not sure what that's about but it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

False alarm, still happening. Just happened twice in 10 mins of each other. Probably worse now than it was before.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Not sure what this means but during a spike resource monitor showed a hard fault with the discord program.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Disclaimer about memory (haha); hard faults are the system having to retrieve data from the page file rather than the RAM (?), so it _shouldn't_ be related, unless it only happened simultaneously?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'll keep an eye on it, but is it just coincidence it happened at the same time? Been 4 hours and it hasn't happened again, I feel almost crazy since it's so random. Luckily I have horizon zero Dawn to play to keep me busy.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

It's your computer telling you to return the Ti for a regular 1080 and to reformat <3

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Not sure if this is related to my issue, and honestly don't know what it means. But I ran latencymon while I slept and appear to be having some issues. But I didn't really have anything running during this.