+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Upgrade or Buy New MacBook

I've got a 2011 17" MacBook Pro that's definitely showing its age. It's slower than crap just using it for Chrome, DVD Player, and iTunes at the same time.

For items that can be upgraded its got 8GB of RAM, 512 GB HD (Not SSD).

Now my question is, do I try and upgrade it to try and get some speed back or do I just purchase a more current model MacBook Pro?

If I upgrade my 2011, what hardware is recommended?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Just chuck an SSD in it, download a clean install to a pendrive and clean install from your pendrive, there are instructions on specifics on youtube/whatever.
    Sometimes apple does stuff like solder ssd or use non-proprietary connectors ( all the new touchbar stuff has both of these lol ) so you need to check your model specifics.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

While I wouldn't spend too much upgrading your 2011, I would definitely put an SSD in it and do a clean install as mentioned. That'll be a big improvement. RAM should be fine for most tasks. There's not a lot else you can realistically do. If your battery is starting to swell you might want to replace it before it starts messing with your trackpad.

I'd also buy a SATA to USB adapter (or just get a 2.5" drive enclosure, they're like $10) if/when you get an SSD. That'll make migrating your data to the new drive simple.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Problem with a 2011 is that soon you won't be able to intall new updates (like 10.X) I mean there's always a way but officially at some point Apple will block you and it should be soon since it'S 6 years old

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

as others have said, going from HDD => SSD is always nice. I wouldn't spend much money on a 6 year old system though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sometimes it's better not to update to the newest OS version if you're more concerned about performance than security and compatibility (or at least know how to deal with the latter two). Like my laptop from a similar time period (asus k53ta, from 2011), win10 just doesn't run as well as win7 did on it, so your mac might not be dealing with a newer mac os like it did with the version it came with. Product of the times.

Not saying downgrading is the answer, but it might be something to consider if you're not using anything that requires a newer mac os version on your old mac. I'm not familiar with what problems might arise from using older mac os versions though, if any, with apple's stuff or other modern/updated software in general. Also, knowing how to deal with the missing security patches will be key, similar to how I use my windows machines without antivirus (you really don't need it if you know what you're doing but most folks don't).

Adding an SSD where there was none can help with the symptoms though like the others said.

and the traveler
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    Sometimes it's better not to update to the newest OS version if you're more concerned about performance than security and compatibility (or at least know how to deal with the latter two). Like my laptop from a similar time period (asus k53ta, from 2011), win10 just doesn't run as well as win7 did on it, so your mac might not be dealing with a newer mac os like it did with the version it came with. Product of the times.

Not saying downgrading is the answer, but it might be something to consider if you're not using anything that requires a newer mac os version on your old mac. I'm not familiar with what problems might arise from using older mac os versions though, if any, with apple's stuff or other modern/updated software in general. Also, knowing how to deal with the missing security patches will be key, similar to how I use my windows machines without antivirus (you really don't need it if you know what you're doing but most folks don't).

Adding an SSD where there was none can help with the symptoms though like the others said.
    Agreed completely. I put SSD's in 2011-2012 macbook pros often and its a night and day difference. Usually find its best performing on 10.10 or 10.11
    The common issue I see with 15" macbooks is the dedicated gpu dies which can be a chore, otherwise they're still workhorses.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Awesome guys. Thanks. Have any good SSD recommendations for my model MBP? I'd like at least 512gb or better.

Will adding more RAM help performance at all?

While we're at it, any good Backup HDs that work via wifi out there to be had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level

I replaced my 2013 Macbook Air with a '17 Macbook Pro 15"/512gb/2.9ghz. This thing is an absolute beast, and has awesome battery life to boot (as opposed to the '16 model which had mixed reviews). Screen is absolutely amazing.

Pros:
    - BRIGHT screen, I rarely have it past half brightness for general usage.
    - Battery (~10hr light usage)
    - Only heats up under high usage (video editing, etc)
    - USB C cables for charging are super cheap and you can charge from either side of the computer (but doesn't include extension cord in the box)
    - Super thin and light.
    - Great speakers.
    - touch ID

Cons:
    - Dongles.
    - No magsafe, gotta be more careful.

Neutral:
    - Keyboard takes some getting used to (as does the touch bar)

Lmk if you have specific questions. Probably worth trying SSD on your current machine unless you have $2.5-3k that you just have to spend.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    Strange thing about my experience with Macs, upgrading to newest OS seems to improve performance.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Rombot View Post
    Awesome guys. Thanks. Have any good SSD recommendations for my model MBP? I'd like at least 512gb or better.

Will adding more RAM help performance at all?
    Crucial MX300 or Samsung 850 EVO should come in around $160 or so for their 500GB-ish models. Again, I wouldn't spend too much on it, so I'd just go with value/mainstream models like those. On the very remote chance you have an issue, it's probably the SATA cable (I haven't seen it on a 15" or 17", but it's a common problem on the 13").

For what you mentioned I don't think RAM would be worth it. 10.12 seems to run poorly with 4GB, but 8GB is fine.