• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Corwens a slot
    BG Level

SSL Certificate Installation/Cert Errors

Basically a long shot here

Server 2012 R2

I have a godaddy SSL cert created by my sever, sent to godaddy etc, I have installed the intermediate and the SSL cert and bound it to SSL in IIS 8.

Any changes on the godadaddy side I have to email someone else in my company to change, any changes on the network side have to be done through another company over the phone.

My issue is this. I am getting a cert error saying that the cert is for 2 urls (that is fine, its the url with www. and the url without www.) however when you access the URL it redirects to a IP address /url so ##.##.##.##/olv . The ##'s being a public IP address where the server is hosted.

Does anyone know what needs to be changed to get this setup to work? Is there something server side (at the public IP) that i need to do to keep the URL name so that the cert checks out? Do I need to find a way to bind the godaddy cert to the public IP instead of the URL?

(#UndertrainedAndExpectedToKnowEverything)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You may need a wild card certificate to handle all of your sub domains.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

I think it has something to do with either a zone record, a record, or cname.... I generated a certificate request but I'm not 100% certain on if the settings for that request have any affect (other than the encryption type and length)

Unfortunately for me all 3 of the above are controlled by someone else.... so I have to prod/convince them to change those settings. Like I said this is the first time I've configured purchased SSL certs... and lets just say its not a fun process (with added annoyances of godaddy which apparently may be the root cause of many of my issues judging by the number of threads talking about how once they changed who handles the DNS stuff it would magically start working)

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't think it has anything to do with the SSL cert. And, Uzor is correct.

*edit* I should add, I'm no expert, but I've bought and installed a few SSL certs over the years.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

That's weird, I just renewed a certificate and installed it (godaddy too), and no issues. When I first generated the certs back in the days, the site would just break, not redirect to another ip. Cerbot asks for your CN, domains, subdomains, etc. so check that. Also, are you sure everything is set up correctly in your .well-known folders? That's what gave me the biggest issues. It was a pain in the ass, but now it takes me 2 min. or less to do all this shit. Good luck!

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Why does it redirect to an IP? That would be the root reason there are SSL errors, because the url changed. A side point of the SSL cert is to gaurantee the user the site they are on is *the* site. So if anything changes in the URL it'll be treated as suspicious, hence the error.

Look up your URL at https://mxtoolbox.com/

See if there's a redirect somewhere. Toggle the lookup options in the dropdown next to where you put in your domain and pick DNS.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Why does it redirect to an IP? That would be the root reason there are SSL errors, because the url changed. A side point of the SSL cert is to gaurantee the user the site they are on is *the* site. So if anything changes in the URL it'll be treated as suspicious, hence the error.

Look up your URL at https://mxtoolbox.com/

See if there's a redirect somewhere. Toggle the lookup options in the dropdown next to where you put in your domain and pick DNS.
    Like I said I don't have access to the godaddy account directly.... I am having to work through another person.... who doesn't really know much about SSL. If I had access to everything on my own I'm sure I would have resolved this issue already. Having to work through other third parties is super annoying.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

It was all on the godaddy end of things. After poking the bear enough times he finally looked into correcting the issue(s) with the zone record or whatever. The way it was configured previously was a simple forward.... which just redirected to the public IP.... the way it should have been is the new IP is the HOST of the website, and it should essentially make the new IP is what the website URL is tied to, thus the SSL would be proper. Its all working now. I'm more just frustrated it took days to do something that should have taken a couple hours.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Minions View Post
    Its all working now. I'm more just frustrated it took days to do something that should have taken a couple hours.
    Oh don't worry. I've come full circle now. Unless you're the solo IT guy running literally anything, the formula for most of my work is "the easier it is to do, the harder [longer] it is to get done".

The site I linked would have told you about the redirect I think, but I think the changes would erase that evidence now. No biggy. But keep it in your URL list. Very useful site unlike the others. Glad you've got it resolved.