+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What video player do you use?

I've been using MPC-HC for a -very- long time, but apparently there's no one left to maintain it so sooner or later it's going to become obsolete. What are the alternatives to it? I tried VLC but didn't like it, I've also tried MPV but that seems too barebones, there isn't any menu or remote control options, it just opens a window where you can drag and drop a file to play.

I'm looking for something lightweigth like MPC-HC but I know nothing about media players.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

MPC

Didn't know it was going bust, but unless codecs drastically changes later I'm sure it's good for another 5 years. By then a new challenger will appear.

I'm not going back ye-olde days of installing codec packs and all that bollocks. MPC is my fav for the reason that it's all self contained, and its Windows MEdia Player 6 look that it has going for. I dislike VLC, but that's the only alternative I know of. But I hate how disjointed VLC all is, it looks badly put together.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Oh, didn't even notice that message on the MPC HC page... Kinda sad, it has been my favourite player too ever since it forked off MPC. The only REAL alternative I know of is VLC since it's AFAIK the only other player with internal codecs and a rather low footprint. Have it installed too but only use it very rarely in case MPC had issues with a file...
    We'll see if someone else can pick it up and continue the work. At least for the next year or so it should still be fine to use, it's not like the last updates had huge changes so the last build should be fine.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

VLC when not using Plex.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

MPC

Even with support ending, there's not gonna any issue running it for awhile. I've been using Comicrack on my PC and phone for ages, and those haven't been updated in like 2+ years. Unless some kind of sweeping change comes that breaks the program, no reason to stop using it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

MPC 4 eva.

VLC is an ok alternative, but like others posted I don't like it's layout or UI in comparison to MPC.

I'll use MPC until I can't.

I also use Kodi - but not for video files(though you can). I use Kodi for various streaming addons.