FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Neo Yokio - Blame Vampire Weekend & Production I.G. For This

https://www.netflix.com/title/80152350

Synopsis:
    Welcome to Neo Yokio, the greatest city in the world. It's the most populous urban agglomeration in North America, but its prestige does not merely stem from its size. Neo Yokio is a diverse labyrinth of cultural and architectural innovation at the forefront of global fashion and finance. All of this is cold comfort to the lovesick Kaz Kaan (Jaden Smith), the youngest member of a family of: "magistocrats" - pink-haired demon slayers who once liberated the city. Today, his demon-slaying is barely more than a side-hustle coordinated by his Aunt Agatha (Susan Sarandon) - Kaz himself would rather concern himself with shopping, field hockey and - of course - mending his broken heart. Always by Kaz's side are his faithful mecha-butler, Charles (Jude Law), and his inseparable friends Lexy and Gottlieb (The Kid Mero and Desus Nice) as he navigates the complexities of life in Neo Yokio and tries to stay one step ahead of his arch-rival, Neo Yokio's number one most eligible bachelor, Arcangelo Corelli (Jason Schwartzman.) Things take a mysterious turn when Kaz is drawn into the turbulent world of ex-fashion blogger Helena St. Tessero (Tavi Gevinson), setting in motion a sequence of events that force him to question everything he knows about Neo Yokio.
    Cast:

Jaden Smith - Kaz Kaan
    Susan Sarandon - Aunt Agatha
    Jude Law - Charles
    The Kid Mero - Lexy
    Desus Nice - Gottlieb
    Jason Schwartzman - Arcangelo Corelli
    Tavi Gevinson - Helena St. Tessero
    Steve Buscemi - The Remembrancer
    Alexa Chung - Kathy
    Annet Mahendru - Mila Malevich
    Stephen Fry - Kaz's Principal
    Ike Barinholtz - Jeffrey
    Frank Vincent - Uncle Albert
    Katy Mixon - Sailor Pellegrino
    Nico Muhly - Professor Muhly
    Richard Ayoade
    John DiMaggio
    Simon Hammerstein
    David Macklovitch
    Peter Serafinowicz
    Ray Wise
    Ben Jones
    Kimberly Nichole
    Willow Smith
    Kiernan Shipka
    Amandla Stenberg

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not gonna lie. You lost me at Haden Smith. But since I'm a Netflix whore, it'll have to get 2 episodes watched. And I support Desus and Mero all day

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What is this? Definitely not satire. Not parody. Allusion maybe? It's not funny or serious or... anything. The whole approach is so misinformed; misses the entire mark of wtf anime even is before it tries lampooning it. Every moment induces cringe. Who is this even for? It's being marketed here so... teenaged westerners who've had brief exposure to the lowest of low-tier shit formulaic cliche anime and are tickled by the quirky cultural differences and tired go-to Japanisms? What? That's a retardedly small and unworthy niche. Why did they do this? Who did this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Ezra Michael Koenig (born April 8, 1984) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and radio personality. He is the lead vocalist and guitarist of the indie rock band Vampire Weekend.
    Who? This prick went to Netflix after watching some Adult Swim 15 years ago, busted out the old "Tokyo+US City" portmanteau, and received enough money to somehow...
    • get Jaden Smith another job... fuck you...
    • fly to fucking Japan and convince Production IG to make a bastardized mockery of its own institution, which they've clearly half-assed in spite...
    • trick enough out-of-touch industry agents into thinking this garbage is popular enough to the youth demographic to push onto their superstar clientele with the promise of improved image???????????? Buscemi, you literally have a meme about this sort of bullshit.

"I have a giant robot butler because it's fun."
    "A girl touched me and her lewdness made my nose bleed."
    "I was just a normal kid until one day I discovered I'm also magic."
    "A man follows me around and regularly touts himself as my romantic rival and I don't know why or care."
    "New York's only notoriety as experienced by the Japanese is that it was subject to a terrorist attack 17 years ago, and therefore the WTC towers are now underwater."
    "Some anime is violent, it is entertaining if we portray things being destroyed in an over-the-top manner even if it has no context."

NO. THERE'S THE LINE. FUCK ALL OF YOU. EVERYONE EXCEPT EZRA AND JADEN ARE BETTER THAN THIS.
    YOU HAVE AN ACADEMY AWARD, SUSAN. JUDE, YOU WERE HAMLET!

I am done. Sorry.
    Netflix, we are currently having a fight and I don't want to talk to you right now.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It was developed 2 years ago for Fox's ADHD program, but Fox held it from airing, then Netflix bought it in 2016. Because reasons, the release was delayed to Summer 2017.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FFFFFF at least Netflix didn't sanction its creation.

So I watched a couple of episodes and the short of it so far: bad. BWYuko is on the money.

It's soulless, and it feels like it's trying to be Boondocks without actually understanding what made it good. You can't just have black people doing anime shit and expect a revelation to happen. Characters with bombastic hair and flair but absolutely no personality. Jokes that fall flat and the only edge the show has is some errant swearing with some of the people pull off so stereo typically. When the most gripping characters are a robot butler and an old woman you know your anime show about high society demon hunters is fucked.

The fact that this isn't pure satire misses so many opportunities and it could have been a great idea if done well. At least when Japanese anime is soulless they know exactly what they're pandering to.