1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 14 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 9 hours, 3 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 7 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 2 hours, 3 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

3rd boss in Rabanastre question

With regards to the 3rd boss in Rabanastre when he does his superultra move after the 3x Chimeira DPS check.

A lot of people say to run to the E or W sides when he goes up, saying that his move does damage in a line with dimished damage to the sides, so I have been, but I'm not 100% sure it doesn't just cause those who remain in the middle to take a little more damage, anyone know anything about this with "empirical" certainty?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

He will cut the arena in half, be on the far point from the middle. Damage drops from 20-30k -> 5k or less depending on shields/mitigation

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

(the boss was either N/NE or S/SW in this pic)

Damage taken from Heavenly Subjugation:

People on the outside had zero mitigation buffs, most people in the middle had succors/helios, soils, etc. The DRK who only took 4k inside the dive path happened to have a lot of mitigation up:

(plus whatever doesn't show there, it cuts off at 4)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Khar's post is better :^)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Best thing about this thread that damn mysterymithra icon reminded me to go read the comics again.

It was a simpler, happier world back then.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Visually it makes sense that the mechanic works like that, and I've seen the difference when I run off to the side, so it's good to have it confirmed, what is still unclear is if there is a distribution component to it as well, where # of people who eat it affects the damage done or not, but good luck to me having 23 other people cooperate to test that :/ Would be interesting to leave just one person in the middle to see if he/she got oneshot, would answer the distribution question pretty neatly.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

This random kill I found has 6-8 players in the dive path:

Doesn't look like it does shared damage (highest hits are comparable to the 20+ person stack from above), but there might be a middle damage range that's used when you're outside of the dive's direct path (30-35k base dmg) but not far enough (4-6k base dmg). There's precedence in this in other distance-based mechanics like O3S's reaper tethers (which has 3 damage dropoffs).

Bonus, 0 players in the dive path (everyone is stacked near the wall):

EDIT: reworded stuff

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    This random kill I found has 6-8 players in the dive path (damage per player comparable to what I posted above):
    Spoiler: show

Doesn't look like it does shared damage (highest hits are comparable to the 20+ person stack from above), but there might be a middle damage range that's used when you're outside of the dive's direct path (30-35k base dmg) but not far enough (4-6k base dmg). There's precedence in this in other distance-based mechanics like O3S's reaper tethers.

Bonus, 0 players in the dive path (everyone is stacked near the wall):
    Spoiler: show

Thank you :D