She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ugh. Gross. Is there a good way to wipe a pc in prep for a clean install of Windows 10? And..XIV.

It seems a update screwed up my PC. I'm trying to figure out how to reformat the hdd after I finish backing up. I'm hoping to do a total clean install of Windows 10 (no upgrade) since it won't let me do a upgrade in place.

Usually when I do that, I'd delete the partition somehow then reformat. Well, after backing up~! Is there a easy way to do that, or just let 'er rip?

Also just asking. If I save my FFXIV folder, could I avoid the overnight update on that by copying it back? Or just let it update?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Dunno about windows.

To restore FFXIV efficiently

back up the sqaure whatever folder in program files, and don't forget the same folder in my documents > my games

@ new pc: install FFXIV client/base, don't run or update
    copy folder on top of it
    run FFXIV
    it'll go through its motions
    no update will be needed
    carry on

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thanks Stig; wondered if Square "Dun it again" and made it easy to skip the updates via saving the folder. Now to worry about windows. Back to backing up stuff I don't want to download or want to save, like my XI files (I was using a dat viewer; so don't want to lose that.)

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You are given the opportunity to work with partitions/reformatting after you boot off the Windows installation media. Beware in advance, don't use a USB 3.0 port.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Couple things you could try, system restore and recovery mode, if you have time to kill.

There's a restore point made everytime you update so there's a small chance it could unfuck it if you hadn't already tried. Could get lucky and it'll help, but then you might run into a trap of it messing up the update again. You might be able to fix some issues by running a script like this one: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.co...Agent-d824badc , which can let you refresh those update processes (it's option 7 from the list it brings up, remember to run the .cmd file as admin). It's worth a shot since you're already prepared to just reinstall, though this is all dependent on you having a bunch of freetime at the pc.

If that fails, look here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options , namely, look at 'Reset your pc' option in the list. Try this since it's a little faster than going through the normal install process unless you want to just flatten everything since this does not do that (leaves your docs but wipes everything previously installed to program files/windows/drivers/etc).

If your install won't even boot anymore, let alone get to the sign in screen, make a reinstall stick: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 .

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    You are given the opportunity to work with partitions/reformatting after you boot off the Windows installation media. Beware in advance, don't use a USB 3.0 port.
    I just did this tonight with no issues? Why is this a bad idea?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Many, many people have had trouble installing Windows off a USB 3.0 port, whether it be a thumb drive or an external DVD/CD.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll have to remember that Ark. Anyway I finished backing up my files and went ahead with the clean install from a USB drive; I'll see if I can use the creation tool later to burn me a DVD just in case. (I didn't have any trouble but better to have a backup.) I don't know what the flying flip caused the original problem (I was talking to a microsoft tech and he thought my menu flashing issues were from a baaad update; it was only on Microsoft brand apps for Windows 10 for some reason) but I'm glad I had warning this time; hopefully I won't have to do it again! We did a system restore first, but that broke quite a few Microsoft-supplied apps. That's what prompted this whole mess.

I kept thinking I should of done a clean install in the first dang place though, which is why when the install wouldn't let me install in place, I went nuclear. So far, not-sorry. And thanks again about the advice on FFXIV; I had a really short update time this time. If I see a Windows reinstall coming, I'll do that again instead. ^^

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Many, many people have had trouble installing Windows off a USB 3.0 port, whether it be a thumb drive or an external DVD/CD.
    A long time ago, not anymore.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I personally had issues with it not even 6 months ago, and I think I recall Zetanio having trouble with the same thing not long ago. Either way, it's a reasonable thing to warn about.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. One last thing. Since I was playing with Altanaview for my own reasons, I saved the FFXI directory entire tho I'm retired. I can't get it to find the steenking directory anymore, because there's no registry keys now. That one is more updated than the normal FFXI model viewer; the last dat update for it was last year! (I'm not reinstalling, I'd have to reactivate and that's a no way. Let's just say I don't want to fight my brother over the security key for the old account.)

Is there a way to tell it in the config file, hey look here, FFXI files?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Actually, the trick that worked for XIV also works for XI. Install base game and add-ons, copy old install over it, done.

But if you only want the reg key for your model viewer, I hope this helps you.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\PlayOnlineUS\InstallFolder]
    "1000"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PlayOnline\\SquareEnix\\PlayOnlineViewer"
    "0002"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PlayOnline\\SquareEnix\\TetraMaster"
    "0001"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PlayOnline\\SquareEnix\\FINAL FANTASY XI\\"
    Paste this into notepad, adjust the path(s) if needed (keep the double backslashes!) and save it as something.reg. Double click, say yes, and your model viewer should find the game files again.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

that didn't work.

AtlanaViewer is still not finding it..I'll try reinstalling if it absolutely won't or there's no way to fake it out. I just wish someone could take those altanaviewer files and translate them to model viewer though. >.<

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. Sorry about the double post, but I see no reason to make another thread for "More unexpected fun with a fresh Windows 10 install. NOT!"

I discovered the new install was using OneDrive for the My Documents folder, first thing. I managed to /punt it and stop it from doing that, but this afternoon I discovered to my horror, that when I reinstalled the PC version of the Kindle app, it was using OneDrive to hold my Kindle books! Argh, I got a nice, 1 tera hdd, it shouldn't be doing that, you dumb pc! I think I fixed that, but just to be sure; How do I make triple dog sure that OneDrive is not being used as a hdd in any form or fashion? (I've basically disabled it, most of my backups are not in the cloud. They are on a USB hdd instead.)