Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Came back: Can't get xbox controller to work

Hi guys. We came back to the game for a bit but can't get our xbox (knock off brand) to work on ffxi.

When we go to the config we can map all the buttons except it won't recognize the l2 and r2 triggers (even with the xInput selected). When testing the rest of the buttons work fine, but once logged into the game none of them work.

We are trying to google various fixes, but a lot of answers seem to no longer work, often with links to drivers that no longer exist.

So for people who currently play, I figured I'd see if someone has a more recent fix to the problem.

Note: we are on windows 10 and controllers seem to work just fine on other games.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Hi guys. We came back to the game for a bit but can't get our xbox (knock off brand) to work on ffxi.

When we go to the config we can map all the buttons except it won't recognize the l2 and r2 triggers (even with the xInput selected). When testing the rest of the buttons work fine, but once logged into the game none of them work.

We are trying to google various fixes, but a lot of answers seem to no longer work, often with links to drivers that no longer exist.

So for people who currently play, I figured I'd see if someone has a more recent fix to the problem.

Note: we are on windows 10 and controllers seem to work just fine on other games.
    If this is for a wireless controller, in my experience setting it up a couple of times for people it won't read the triggers. Don't know why, don't care. Spent a lot of time looking for solutions, and found none. The work around is to get a wired controller or use the L and R bumpers in place of the triggers.

USB converter for a PS1 controller is your friend

That or just use keyboard, best waifu.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Yeah I am trying some 3rd party apps, but even then they won't work.

Like joy2key just has you keybind the controller to your keyboard. There should be no conflict, yet ffxi still won't read it. ;_;

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    If this is for a wireless controller, in my experience setting it up a couple of times for people it won't read the triggers. Don't know why, don't care. Spent a lot of time looking for solutions, and found none. The work around is to get a wired controller or use the L and R bumpers in place of the triggers.
    The triggers didn't work by default because xinput makes them an axis instead of buttons, which the ffxi client didn't accept. I thought SE fixed this in recent years but idk.

The old standard workaround was XBCD drivers (would let you map triggers to buttons, so you could use them for macros same as console version), but they were shitty for many more modern games that already had built-in xinput support. IE: you might need to manually setup an XBCD profile (map buttons and axis, adjust analog sensitivity/deadzone) for specific games instead of just plugging in the controller and it working automatically with microsoft drivers.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I haven't played in a while, but I believe I selected "Alternate Setup (E)" in the gamepad config screen after enabling XInput. It worked for both first-party and knockoff wired 360 controllers for me.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Alternate setup didn't work, but I finally found a solution after spending a day and a half trying everything:

Set analog stick and direction pad through ffxi config.

Set buttons through joy2key.

Run joy2key as administrator.

lol. So dumb, but it worked.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Congratulations and welcome to the world of getting an ancient game running on modern hardware. XD

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Xbox controllers use XInput, so be sure to set that in FFXI's config editor. Other controllers such as most of Logitechs generally either are strictly DInput mode, or have a switch on them to swap between DInput and XInput. Either should work fine on FFXI as long as you set the configuration to the correct one your controller uses. (PS4 controllers over USB work with DInput mode as well.)