Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Looking to get in to IT

So from what I've seen, IT is a trade that you can learn on your own a lot easier than other trades since everything is on the internet. I'm a hands on visual learner, so video tutorials would help greatly, and there's tons out there I'm sure. I've heard classes help, but getting the right certifications can get you in too without the debt that comes with higher education. Debt that I'd rather avoid since I'm working to rebuild my credit. Current work schedule & transportation is an issue as well, but I'd rather not bore you with those details.

Former family friend who is self taught and successful showed me Lynda, which is a vast online database with video tutorials for days on IT. For me, it's like walking in to a giant library with no direction on where to go. His goal was to get me pass the CCNA test from Cisco, starting with CCNA labs or labs for GNS3 pertaining to CCNA. For a guy like me who only knows basic PC trouble shooting and PC building/OS installation, I quickly became lost in his technical jargon. Long story short, things happened and that all fell thru.

Which brings me here. I thought about posting this in the Tech section, as I've learned virus/trojan removal methods from there in the past. Which certs are the best to learn these days? If passing the CCNA test from Cisco is my goal, what would be the best route to that? Thanks for the read and thanks in advance on any help.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There is a lot more to "IT" than there was years ago. IT is a vast category, and one person's IT interest is different from another's. Networking, Storage, Unified Communications, Server, Desktop, Programming, Development, Operations, Physical Infrastructure, QA, Information Security, Support, Designer, Architecture, Mobile, etcetc. And those are just the "top" of the pyramid, with tons of subsets under those.

It use to be that you'd get a job in some sort of helpdesk / desktop support, and find what you're interested in based on exposure and go from there. You mention Cisco a lot, so i'm guessing your buddy does that; it may be easy just to hang with him for a couple days to see what he does and see if you like it.

Certs mean nothing when compared to experience. To me at least, it seemed like certs were more important 10~15 years ago since IT was "new"; having an MCSE in the field I was in was king shit, but now.. I dont know if it means anything at all these days. People in IT jump around a lot that having specialized certs means so little when the field is changing all the time. IT is a constant exposure and growth in whicht is usually gained by actually doing, and not by stale certs. Yes, it's good to have a base, but when looking to hire, it may mean nothing.

Not stuff you want to hear, and it's different depending on the field, your location, the place youre gunning for, etcetc. If a cert is all you have, and youre trying to get a job, youre going to get a shitty job with little pay - but if youre still of the age where thats ok, then ok. But if youre looking to move to a new trade wanting to make the same/more than your current, then youre in for an up hill battle.

But again.. thats not helping you, just some anecdotal stuff that I see..

If youre serious about this, you need to find the field that appeals to you, I cant help with what yt channels, or websites to figure this out with, but you need to pick something that really interests you and go with that. Starts somewhere, get the work experience, then go from there. If youre going the network route, then yes, go with that.

CompTIA certs are a logical first step, and then go to the CC certs, and then more specialized stuff from there depending on the hardware. Cisco has been falling out of favor these last few years, but they still have a strong install base, and most companies dont like to switch away from things that have been working. But on the opposite end, if you get your CC certs, and dont go to a Cisco shop, they might not care if theyre running Aruba, Juniper, Brocade, etc.

Once youre studying/have your cert, you need to find some virtual labs, or buy your own gear to do this stuff on. Again, certs mean nothing without experience if youre wanting a real job (or get lucky). Plug away at doing that until you can go on places like https://stackexchange.com/sites#technology and https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/c...community-home and can understand or even be able to know how to fix those questions, because those are other people asking enterprise questions.

I could go on for awhile.. but it comes down to you needing to figure out what you want first.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Thanks for the reply. The guy I knew basically had me on a certain path to passing the Cisco test then working for him. I'll just say some shit went down, and he's not a family friend anymore. So it's basically back to the drawing board for me. I'll have to do my homework on all of the different fields within IT & find out which interests me the most.

I guess the other obstacle, like you said, is experience. Current job involves none of that, so I'd be starting over again. Not something that's easy to do with rent, car note, & bills these days.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Not a direct answer to your question, but (at least in Norway) the general expectation is that there is starting to be a severe shortage on people with security skills in IT, that'll only get worse in the years to come, especially cloud security, everyone and their mothers want to make the next great app, leaving other fields needing manpower.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Not a direct answer to your question, but (at least in Norway) the general expectation is that there is starting to be a severe shortage on people with security skills in IT, that'll only get worse in the years to come, especially cloud security, everyone and their mothers want to make the next great app, leaving other fields needing manpower.
    Good to know. I'm just looking for a steady job that pays good. Not trying to be the next Snapchat or Instagram lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Part of the reason for that shortage is that it takes a while to become even nearly proficient in security. Colleges have security degrees but those only prep you for either doing skiddie pentesting (doubtful even to get in the door without a OSCP, no one cares about a degree) or helpdesk support.

Certs mean nothing when compared to experience.
    Not 100% true, there are a lot of jobs in public sector that require a cert to even get in, though those are usually CompTIA certs which are not that hard to obtain. Certs are also amazing when starting out, experience is a hard thing to show if you have no job experience, but a ton of certs will boost your resume to get you in the door, once you've been around the field for awhile, certs diminish in certain aspects but there are others that always show a good level of skill (OSCP, SANs certs, high level CISCO or Redhat certs) or are good just for moving into management (CISSP)

So question for you Fhloston is do you have any idea where you'd want to move towards, that's something to keep in mind. As system administration is different then network engineering, or software development, etc etc. It sounds to me like with basic computer skills and knowledge you're going to want to look for entry level help desk or junior SA work. Do you have any experience with Linux? If not, get some, tons of stuff out there for that. I would also just knock out your Security+, professor messer on Youtube has a great study course on it. CCNA is great for basic networking knowledge, though it tends to lean towards CISCO equipment (obviously) which not a lot of places have. Juniper is a big seller in government right now.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

I know you said dropping your current job to pursue something else isn't very viable, but I would say the best place to start would be a help desk role, preferably a somewhat large corporation. If the company isn't shit, you should be exposed to multiple disciplines as you work through the grind. Something like a CCENT (though CCNA preferably) or CompTIA+ should be good enough to start off with and get you into interviews.

In my couple years at help desk, I talked with senior members and architects from networking, database and security when I worked through our task logs.

I'm in an operational role now so I work directly with the senior members and architects when I'm not busy doing the run the business tasks. At this point, I'm leaning towards either continuing my studies in networking or going with the databases that manage our VM's.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

even something like a call center could be good. in the course of my work, we don't get very technical, but you get an idea of the processes involved. how shit gets handled on the back end of things, etc. plus, my employer has a tuition reimbursement program for things that are relevant to the employer, which IT would be.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

you'll want to watch the expectation you can get in w/o a degree. my daughter's bf. had been at the same IT firm in houston for like 15 years. they move out here to CA and he figures well, i don't have a degree but i have 15 years experience this shouldn't be a problem.

yeah, it was a problem.

it really depends on where you're applying. our own IT department hires only temp contractors through an agency, but keeps a short list of contractors they liked and when a position opens they go to that list for candidates. you may as well not bother applying if they haven't worked with you before. they're not particular about what certifications or degrees you have.

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    you'll want to watch the expectation you can get in w/o a degree. my daughter's bf. had been at the same IT firm in houston for like 15 years. they move out here to CA and he figures well, i don't have a degree but i have 15 years experience this shouldn't be a problem.

yeah, it was a problem.

it really depends on where you're applying. our own IT department hires only temp contractors through an agency, but keeps a short list of contractors they liked and when a position opens they go to that list for candidates. you may as well not bother applying if they haven't worked with you before. they're not particular about what certifications or degrees you have.
    Yup, and good luck getting into public sector if you have no degree, since we compete on contracts the more degrees the better so it's pretty much mandatory.

If your main interest is the CCNA exam, the school I work for has a undergrad Networking and Security Certificate that's designed to prepare you for that. It's only 4 classes and they can be completed online. If that's something you're interested in, shoot me an email and I'll get you more info.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fhloston where do you live?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Honestly, my advice is get your foot in the door any way you can, even if it's just a helpdesk type of job. Most basic helpdesk jobs, the only requirement is to have a basic understanding of Windows. Once you're in, you can start picking senior employee's brains on what they do and try to soak up as much knowledge as you can. If you can, I'd also look to see if you can find an old server and set up a little mini network at home Slap Windows Server 07 or higher on it, and start dicking around with file shares, setting up a print server, etc. If you check local county property and salvage, you can find old equipment on the dirt cheap. It will be formatted, so you'll have to find a usb install of Server on your own.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Helpdesk is probably a good idea, it gives you a lot of (painful) experience in dealing with users. You will grow to hate them if you haven't already, but it forces you to think in a lot of different ways, and it will teach you the art of google based on really vague starting points.

Wesley Crusher 4 Lyfe!
    Skywalker's Severed Hand

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Psychodwarf Ironflute
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    even something like a call center could be good. in the course of my work, we don't get very technical, but you get an idea of the processes involved. how shit gets handled on the back end of things, etc. plus, my employer has a tuition reimbursement program for things that are relevant to the employer, which IT would be.
    Pretty much this. Nearly everyone in the call center at the company I work for is trained to handle external service desk calls. Many of them have moved on to other areas within IT after learning the basics in that role.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

A lot of people if they don't go out and get all the major certifications start as "help desk" or "end user support" do about 3 years of that then you can start specializing and branching out. During that time you can shadow other more experienced IT people and start to work on your certifications.

Edit: I have been in IT 3 years. I am in a very small company with a small team I was hired initially to split my time between server admin duties and end user support. Now I am shifting towards network and database administration.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Fhloston where do you live?
    Houston. Sorry for the late reply.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Pretty much going to echo what has been said above. Getting in the door is going to be the hardest part and you might have to take a very entry level position to start. Network security is super valuable, atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    Houston. Sorry for the late reply.
    I've been a software consultant in Houston for around five years now and worked for a lot of companies in various industries. My advice is to stay away from the retail energy providers. They're pretty shorthanded on IT but don't appear to have much mobility upwards; you'll be stuck as help desk for years. That being said, it shouldn't be *too* hard (probably still need certs or something) to get in with them if you want to use that as a way to get experience. Just don't be surprised when your IT department gets wiped out after a buyout.

XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Also going to echo the majority of above posters here, with a little bit of advise from personal experience.

A great way to get your feet wet would be to find a position in the hospitality / healthcare industry as an entry level "systems tech" or "IT Support". I started as an entry level IT guy for Marriott many moons ago, and despite the massive amount of goofy Window/Mac OS related problems (outlook .pst went haywire, my mouse won't work, windows update, etc etc), i was able to get my hands on some great experience with a massive amount of industrial level networking equipment (Cisco switches, server blocks, routing equipment, etc). After a few years of that I was able to take over a few properties and really get knee deep in certifications/further education. Its not the most fun having to start fresh as an entry level guy, but if you can find yourself in a large industry with lots of work area you can find exposure to a plethora of anything and everything IT related to help yourself see which direction you want to go.

That being said, I now own a small HVAC company because I got tired of cleaning cheeto dust off keyboards, so there's that.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm going to be contrary to a lot of the people in this thread. I think anything security related is a terrible thing to focus on. Nearly 200,000 Americans leave the military every year and because of how technological the jobs in the military are now, many of them are leaving with the equivalent of a bachelor in IT security degrees + have practical experience. I was working on my master's in IT security and changed to Enterprise networking. That degree gave me a deep theoretical understanding of data center construction and physical security, PUE, gantt charts, project management, and SQL.

SQL is something you can teach yourself and then becomes a legitimate skill. MySQL and Oracle are VERY common backbone technical skills in almost any organization, and it would avoid you going into the dark hell of help desk and wasting five years.

Being able to explain an SQL query in an interview (and more importantly be able to build one that includes an inner join and a left join) will get your foot in the door.

A month at code academy (free), another month at Pluralsight (super cheap licenses available on ebay) and then a month playing with an Amazon free tier SQL server: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/free/ and then you can probably pass the Oracle level 1 SQL certification: https://education.oracle.com/pls/web...arams=p_id:457

After that, just start putting your name out there for any entry level database administrator and you'll find something.

Besides, if you like it and you get good at it you can crack six figures easy: https://www.networkworld.com/article...es.html#slide2.

Also possible: You might discover you hate it. I can't stand SQL.