+ Reply to Thread
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Car Rust Damage Assessment?

I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with auto body work but thought this would be worth asking.

I currently have a used 2003 Trailblazer that had some rust damage on the inner part of the driver side eear door when it was bought. However this week when trying to clean it off a bit it chipped the outer side of the door. I took it to a body shop over lunch and tgey said the damage was too much to save the door abd would need to be replaced for over 2500 dollars which is a hell of a lot for a vehicle that old.

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has any body work experience and can take a look at some photos I took to see if the door is salvageable or if it's beyond repair:

Spoiler: show

Odds are you'd be looking at the entire bottom portion of the door being cut off, with new metal welded on the subsequent grinding/buffing/repainting that would follow. $2500 sounds unreasonably high to me, especially if the didn't intend to do that.

Your best bet would probably be to try calling around local junkyards or even looking online to see if you can just frankenstein a door from a junked model you're driving. You'll have to deal with the paint/interior paneling not matching, but that would likely be an easier and cheaper fix, assuming you'd be comfortable enough putting the door on yourself/with help from buddies.

BG Level

This is the gist of the estimate:

Parts: 601.47 (since they said they would need to order a new door)
    Body Labor: 884 for 13.6 hours
    Refinish Labor: 474 fot 7.3 hours
    Paint: 365 for 7.3 hours

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If that's what the door looks like I'd be worried about parts that actually matter. Like the frame. Suspension. Brakes. All the things that you need to save your life. If I were you I'd look at like Adam polishes iron remover and then spray paint it and see if it continues to corrode. If not? Then maybe consider getting some professional work done on it. I'd be shocked if the entire car is worth their quote.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    I'd be shocked if the entire car is worth their quote.
    Looking at KBB You're probably right.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Find a replacement door at a junk yard or online, do the work yourself. Other than painting it to match your car it's not gonna be hard. If the replacement door has good glass and seals all you really need to do is pull the panel from both and put yours on the replacement once it's painted so your interior stays matched. Shouldn't be hard to find instructions. It's generally just tedious, not difficult, work.

BG Level

So suppose I go down that route, is there any way to find a matching paint? I found a vehicle in a lot that matches the year/model but it's in a different color

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

To find matching paint on the junkyard pull? Sure it's possible, it's just down to luck to find one. You'll save money (assuming the paint is still in good shape) but it will take longer to find than "Whatever color paint, just no rust and in good shape". You can do it fast with a good part and a repaint, or take your time and look for a matching paint color.

It used to be tons of phone calls, then walking the lots to see what was really there, back when I was young and the internet wasn't a thing. Should be a lot easier now to find what you want.

BG Level

What I meant is if I painted the door myself. Though after looking at some tutorials it's a lot more than just putting a new coat on.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Just keep in mind if you paint it yourself it will never really match color perfectly. Sometimes even when places do it the color is off just slightly, but for a $2500 car who cares?

BG Level

Agreed. But I'd like for it to at least match somewhat instead of having a maroon door on a white vehicle.

How much work the paint job would take depends on the door quality I suppose. Guess I'll find out during my lunch break.

I'd advise against painting yourself unless you have access to a good airbrush and other tools like a buffer and grinder. Doing a good job will require stripping the old paint, making the underlying surface rough enough to hold the new, a few coats, some smoothing, then a clear coat and final buffing. And if you do the inside of the door, it's the same process, plus removing the paneling and seals.

And it'll still look "off" because the rest of your car has years of sun/weather damage even if you did manage to match the base color. But in context of your earlier quote breakdown, a little shy of 400 would be better than the 2500.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Plasti-Dip the whole dang thing for $50.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

2,500 for a door on 15 year old vehicle is high. Shit you can get a door out of a junkyard for around 100.00 if you are decent negotiating with people. Do not paint the door yourself.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    2,500 for a door on 15 year old vehicle is high. Shit you can get a door out of a junkyard for around 100.00 if you are decent negotiating with people. Do not paint the door yourself.
    This. Enjoy the scavenger hunt for the door!

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Plasti-Dip the whole dang thing for $50.
    It would cost more than that to dip the whole car, but not a bad idea at all.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

That quote is accurate for sheet metal repair, bodywork and paint. Use car-part.com to find a door to replace and get it painted if you want it to match.