+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bourbon! Glorious Bourbon (or other whisk/e/y) Thread!

I just saw the beer thread pop up and don't think we have one for bourbon (or rye/scotch/japanese styles/whatever).

Like the beer thread, this is for all things whisk(e)y. I usually lean toward bourbon but hey, who am I do judge if you like the other stuff. Anyone got any fav's right now? My current easy to find bottle in the area is Noah's Mill. It's pretty incredible for the price range.

Also a reminder for anyone trying to get the rare stuff, now is the time to check your local liquor stores for raffles. Best of luck!

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I usually drink scotch, but I do like bourbon as well. Don't know as much about it, though. I've been told to try Widow Jane, Basil Hayden, and another I forget now that are good mid-range bourbons. Got any suggestions?

My go to scotch is 12 year Balvenie Double Wood. I always have at least two bottles behind my bar, one opened and one sealed. Other than that I usually keep Glenlivet 12, Glenmorangie 10, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16, Glenrothes, and a few others handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I usually drink scotch, but I do like bourbon as well. Don't know as much about it, though. I've been told to try Widow Jane, Basil Hayden, and another I forget now that are good mid-range bourbons. Got any suggestions?

My go to scotch is 12 year Balvenie Double Wood. I always have at least two bottles behind my bar, one opened and one sealed. Other than that I usually keep Glenlivet 12, Glenmorangie 10, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16, Glenrothes, and a few others handy.
    I've heard good things about Widow Jane but since you don't know much about bourbon in general I would stay away for the time being given the price point (around 80$).

For mid-range my go to is Elijah Craig. It's one of the best if not the best for the money. Also, 4 Roses Single Barrel is quite nice with a different profile (stay away from all other 4 Roses unless you are lucky enough to get one of the super hard to find small back yearly release bottles). If those don't quite do it for you, then you may want to try a wheated bourbon. Wellers is usually available in most places. Look for the one with the red or green label, as one or the other of those is usually available. If you happen to see the Wellers 12 black labeled one for around 40 or less grab it immediately as it resells for about 125-200$ and is quite hard to find.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Friday night I had Highland Park 15 year. Thoroughly impressed as I usually do not have anything above Canada House.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post

I love Balvenie, although I'm a Caribbean Cask man myself. I usually keep a bottle of that and a bottle of Laphroaig 10 as well, but I have to be in the mood for that one.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So as a longtime Jameson fan I've been wanting to get a bottle of Midleton Very Rare (https://www.shopwinedirect.com/midle...gaAvo2EALw_wcB) for special occasions. Has anyone tried it, and is it worth it?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I have not. My dad got a bottle of the Jameson Limited Black for my wedding that was very good. That one you're looking at is a little more expensive, so hopefully better?

I'm still getting my legs under me when it comes to good whiskey. Selection is also not that great in Utah, since we can only buy directly from state-run liquor stores.

Here are my current favorites:

Irish Whiskey:
    RedBreast 12 year (this is also my favorite whiskey overall)
    Honorable mention: Tullamore Dew (no age) for Irish coffees

Scotch:
    Macallan 12 Double Cask
    Not a big fan of super smoky scotches, so I haven't found a lot that I like yet

Bourbon:
    Eagle Rare 10yr for a good smooth bourbon
    Woodford Reserve for great flavor
    Maker's Mark as my generic mixer
    Honorable mention to High West as a local distillery. Their Rendezvous Rye and Double Rye are both very good

Japanese:
    Suntory Toki for the price point and one of the smoother whiskeys I've had
    Hibiki Harmony for great flavor, but it's very rare in Utah (as are any Japanese whiskeys aside from Toki)

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Bourbon is pretty much the only thing I drink any more.

I have favorites at every price range depending how much I want to spend. Glad you tried Eagle Rare, definitely my favorite cheap bottle. I little have a bottle for every $5 over 30, depends how much I have on me on what I get.

I'm not a Rye fan, hate scotch, and pretty much anything Irish under $100.

For your next purchases try out: (should be mostly in price order)

Tin Cup
    Four Roses
    Angels Envy
    E.H. Taylor
    Basil Hadens - my favorite under $50
    Elijah Craig
    Blanton's - my daily, best bottle until you start getting expensive.

When you want to move into the $80-150 range I've got a few suggestions. I've also had $400 and $800 bourbon and while they were great you really can't go wrong with anything $80-150. You get what you pay for with bourbon. There is one bottle we had recently that was aged in rum casks, holy shit it was incredible. I think it was Irish.

Anything under $80 can have a splash of water or an ice cube don't let anyone tell you different they are just wrong or full of it. The $400 glass we had to use an eye dropper to add water to as it required it.

I've been trying to get to Bohemian for their Japanese whiskey pairings/tastings but the wife has been pregnant and it's not a place I'd take a dude typically. The friend I'd take was actually debating a whiskey tour down south for his bachelor party, he works part time at one of the best distributors in our state so we get to try some crazy shit and get everything at cost.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Got our allotment last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Cracked this open with some friends last weekend. I expected it to be enjoyable in name only, not actually a good bourbon. Consider me surprised! Not as smooth as something like Basil Hayden’s, but still good straight or on the rocks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Tried Whistle pig 10 last weekend on the recommendation of a youtuber I follow that explains various legal cases while drinking whiskey. Not a huge whiskey guy but was fairly impressed at my first foray into not cheap whiskey lol

Thanks for the bourbon suggestions. I've been wanting to try Four Roses, but it's never in stock in Utah. I might be getting some from California for Christmas though, if the in-laws remember.
    A few of the ones listed are available in Utah, so I've added them to my list to grab when I see them. Basil Hayden 8 yr is generally available here, so I'll probably grab that one next.

A couple nights ago at my work Christmas party my CEO got a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year and was sharing it. That one was delicious, and super smooth

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Tried Whistle pig 10 last weekend on the recommendation of a youtuber I follow that explains various legal cases while drinking whiskey. Not a huge whiskey guy but was fairly impressed at my first foray into not cheap whiskey lol
    Quote Originally Posted by markwood007788 View Post
    Attempted Whistle pig 10 a weekend ago on the proposal of a youtuber I pursue that clarifies different lawful cases while drinking bourbon. Not a gigantic bourbon fellow but rather was genuinely awed at my first raid into not shabby bourbon lol
    Who's the better dasva, the OG or the new fellow?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The 600 Series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy. But these are new, they look human...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

How terrible is Elijah Wood? Local grocery has a good looking gift set for $17.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Spoiler: show

?

Elijah Craig is what you're looking for. Believe it's a good mid-range bottle.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Bahahaha yeah my bad. Yes, Elijah Craig. I think I'll pick it up just for the extras. I think it contained a flask. Good for at work!

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

There's one or two batches that are absolutely fantastic, best bottles for the price in the 30-50 range. But they are kinda hard to find. Other than those, it's decent mid range. There are other things I'd prefer to have for similar prices but I wouldn't turn it away.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

As mentioned I usually just get Canada House if I want whiskey. $15 for 1/2 gallon! I mean, I mix my whiskey with a variety of Pepsi products so why bother spending a ton?! Jokes aside, for on the rocks with just a splash of something I prefer Hennessy or Courvoisier. When I was 21 I did the Alize plus Hennessy because 2Pac told me it was good. He wasn't wrong!