+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Giving An iPhone As A Gift

I am wanting to buy my wife a new iphone for Christmas, probably an 8 as she currently has a 6S. My problem is now in setting up the surprise and getting the right model. If the trade-in value is in the $200 range on the 6S, I may be able to get her an X but shes not the "gotta be trendy techie" type.

I was looking at a refurbished one on Amazon, but I don't know how "safe" they are with all the internet videos ending up buying an expensive cement brick in an iphone case. There is also the trade-in value of her current phone, but I obviously cant tell her "Hey, your phone needs to disappear for a week or so. Can't tell you why."

Does anyone have experience in trading these things in and how to do it to maximize trade-in value without getting scammed? Our carrier is Verizon.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Mannoroth

XR is $760 ($31.67/mo), unfortunately VZW's BOGO promos are only for new lines / activation for the holiday season. As far as upgrading goes for the surprise, we can change the IMEI of the device on the account while leaving the old SIM active. In doing so, you'd only need to call *611 and read them off the new phone's SIM off of the box, or avoid that altogether by swapping the SIM from the 6S in to the __ and restarting it.

The $470 Ipad is also $200 off if you're buying an Iphone too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I am wary of making this a monthly payment, as then it just kind of feel like we are paying for her phone and then it's not really a gift and we're already paying monthly on my S8.

So am I reading this correctly you work with Verizon in some capacity? You're saying that I can buy the new phone, whatever it is (refurbished, new, unlocked, Verzion locked, etc) and the new phone will be active while her current phone is active as well? Then we would just need a simple SIM card switch and reboot? How would any after the fact trade in be applied?

Also, how much trade in value is there for a 6S?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I think the courts ruled that phones have to come unlocked now. Apple has their own support page about it (used to void the warranty if it was unlocked but you could always lock it and then be in warranty).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

As for money for 6S, don't expect much:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-...ews-22328.html

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Mannoroth

I work for CSOKI - Cellular Sales. 6s trade-in is $130-170 assuming it is not damaged. Depends on the storage capacity. If you'd rather pay out-right for a new device, you can finance $1 over 24 months. This will stop you from being charged extra for an outright purchase. Basically a $759 down payment, in the XR scenario. I imagine this doesn't concern you considering she currently has a 6S and you stated that she isn't worried about being up to date, but Verizon, or A/S at least, does offer early upgrades for Samsungs and Iphones. A year in to the two-year finance agreement you are eligible to trade in your device for the newest model. This doesn't net you any money on the trade-in, you essentially just have the 50% remaining on the term wiped out and you begin a new 24mo term.

As far as the activation goes, just to clarify - we can attach a phone to your account, under her phone number. This will begin the payments, the phone will be yours, and it will be listed on your account. It will NOT be "active" to make calls until you swap the SIM, one way or the other. It still works, it just doesn't have service. Basically, her phone number can only be functional on one SIM card at a time.

Theshun: If courts ruled that then I would love to see that. AT&T, Sprint, T-M, all have absolutely ridiculous phone locks. It bugs the hell out of me, honestly. Verizon only locks their phone for 24 hours, after that you can do whatever the hell you want, which I can't understand why the other carriers do anything differently than that to begin with.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Well, I was thinking about getting her an XR but she has smaller hands so now I am concerned it will be too big for her.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

XR is really big. Even the X and XS. I would sell your 6S private party and use it to buy an 8 from Ebay or something.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

She seemed to appreciate the XR in spite of the larger size. Was ecstatic to have a new phone period.

It was not expected at all, as I think she was expecting me to get her a new fitbit. We've traded the old phone into apple for a nice $200 credit.

Thanks for everyones feedback!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    She seemed to appreciate the XR in spite of the larger size. Was ecstatic to have a new phone period.

It was not expected at all, as I think she was expecting me to get her a new fitbit. We've traded the old phone into apple for a nice $200 credit.

Thanks for everyones feedback!
    Hot damn! Good job!