Space Force - May 29, 2020

Is it too early to start getting hyped?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Is it too early to start getting hyped?
    No. All aboard that train. I can't wait to see the fallout from it.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Is this a show or movie?

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Is this a show or movie?
    It's a series.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Caps, Cast, & Synopsis
    Spoiler: show

Steve Carell as General Mark R. Naird
    John Malkovich as Dr. Adrian Mallory
    Ben Schwartz as F. Tony Scarapiducci
    Diana Silvers as Erin Naird
    Tawny Newsome as Angela Ali
    Jimmy O. Yang as Dr. Chan Kaifang
    Alex Sparrow as Yuri "Bobby" Telatovich
    Don Lake as Brad Gregory
    Noah Emmerich as General Kick Grabaston
    Fred Willard as Fred Naird
    Jessica St. Clair as Kelly King
    Lisa Kudrow as Maggie Naird
    A decorated pilot with dreams of running the Air Force, four-star general Mark R. Naird (Steve Carell) is thrown for a loop when he finds himself tapped to lead the newly formed sixth branch of the US Armed Forces: Space Force. Skeptical but dedicated, Mark uproots his family and moves to a remote base in Colorado where he and a colorful team of scientists and “Spacemen” are tasked by the White House with getting American boots on the moon (again) in a hurry and achieving total space dominance. From co-creators Carell and Greg Daniels (The Office), SPACE FORCE is a new kind of workplace comedy, where the stakes are sky high and the ambitions even higher. John Malkovich, Diana Silvers, Tawny Newsome, Ben Schwartz also star, alongside co-stars Lisa Kudrow, Jimmy O. Yang, Noah Emmerich, Alex Sparrow and Don Lake. Howard Klein/3Arts (The Office) serves as executive producer, with Daniels as showrunner.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Just give me the office in space, man

Looks crazy expensive with just the cast alone. Have high hopes for this. Not sure how successful it’d have to be to get this quality for a long-term comedy series.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Two eps in and I can't tell if it's trying to be a comedy or a drama, because no laughs thus far, and it's just
    Steve Carell playing the idiot-leader role again, while everyone appears mentally sound, which isn't quite sitting with me.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Two eps in and I can't tell if it's trying to be a comedy or a drama, because no laughs thus far, and it's just
    Steve Carell playing the idiot-leader role again, while everyone appears mentally sound, which isn't quite sitting with me.
    The final 4 episodes are pretty good I would say.

I am enjoying it honestly. It is pretty funny. I think the critics reviews are shit and overly harsh. Some of the ideas are so over the top you got to laugh.

Is it more comedy or drama? For comedy I really love like, super absurdist realities like Adam McCay films, and I was kinda hoping this would be akin to that. It's a pet peeve of mine of when I go into a comedy expecting 90 minutes of laughs, and it gets way too serious and stops being funny. Examples off the top of my head (although very outdated), are Stranger than Fiction and Man of the Year.

Its Satire (for the most part) but, some people have a hard time finding it funny at times lol. The issue was people were expecing the office.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

From what I have read from different sites is that it has bombed as far as ratings go. Only has a 40% on RT right now.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    From what I have read from different sites is that it has bombed as far as ratings go. Only has a 40% on RT right now.
    To be fair, it's likely because reviews are usually released based only on the first 1-2 episodes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Most of the pre-release reviews I read were written based on seeing the whole series.

4 episodes in. I was not expecting The Office, but I was expecting Steve Carrell. To me, it is always doing one of three things:

1. Trying too hard to get the joke over.
    2. Uncreative in using satire or just extremely thinly veiled T-ball jabs. (Petosi, overly suspicious and eager Russian loaner soldier, really?)
    3. Actually funny when it isn't trying too hard, sadly this is only 10% of the time right now. (Cannibal George, Naird's Driver, dialogue with the Joint Chiefs, Naird's Parents.)

Something just isn't right, and I honestly think Carrell may be miscast.

I was thinking about it before going to sleep last night, and I think this format, being much different from The Office, would benefit from being modeled after something like Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost C2C, or Sealab 2021. Play up the absurdist situation instead of trying to pull it across the line.

More Ben Schwartz or John Malkovich will only help. They're the bright spots right now.

Side note: Is the guard in front of Naird's office Patrick Warburton's son?

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Speaking of, it's so hard to hear Ben Schwartz's voice and not hear Sonic anymore.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

This is actually not bad. Some of the jokes don't land but it has a pretty decent story for a satire show. Would watch a Season 2 if they knew where to take it from here. Lisa Kudrow is kinda forgettable though.

Just call it as it is;

It’s bad; and I generally like satire

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I didn’t hate it and I laughed a few times. Not sure how they are going to follow up the last episode’s storylines considering how dire they seem to be.

Didn’t like the daughter by the end of the season, I mean, in this day in age why would she be so stupid to do what she did? She was asking for trouble.