+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PS3 dead?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

PS3 dead?

I bought a PS3 game the other day that I had never played but always wanted too. I plugged in the console which I had not used in a long time. I pressed the power button and it came on then two seconds later it shut off. No standby light, nothing. I unplugged it and tried again and the standby light came back on but it does the same thing. Has anybody here experienced this problem? I did a internet search but it comes up with hundreds of different answers and solutions. I would really hate if it is dead cause I still have some games I like to play on it and you can not have on PS4.

Edit: My model is CECH-2001A

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Stupid thing to try, but, if you have a different power cable to try, swap that. A few years back, I had my PS3 Slim (model you have) conk out when watching a DVD, and that's what fixed it. It has worked fine since.

Otherwise, sounds like the power supply, which isn't especially pricey to get a replacement for. Hard to say for sure though.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Stupid thing to try, but, if you have a different power cable to try, swap that. A few years back, I had my PS3 Slim (model you have) conk out when watching a DVD, and that's what fixed it. It has worked fine since.

Otherwise, sounds like the power supply, which isn't especially pricey to get a replacement for. Hard to say for sure though.
    While not power, I had similar happen last week with a HDMI cable. When I bought a Steam Link I used one of my own brand new wrapped HDMI cables I bought from either monoprice or newegg. This was months ago that I hooked it up to my TV. Used it a few times and that was it. Last week try to turn it on and it loaded the splash screen and that was it. On a whim I opened a new HDMI cable and boom it's working. Never had that happen.