She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh [censored.] Can someone suggest a good UPS to save the Uverse router/gateway?

So okay. A couple weeks ago, there was a major thunderstorm. Power went out (multiple blinks; it seems to do that a lot around here) and when it came back on..

The living room TV went out permanently; it had gotten fried. We repped that, but it happened again the next night, and the Uverse router/gateway had gotten chicken fried.

Turns out the stupid tech when he repped our router a few years ago had plugged it directly into the wall. Ugh. And that gateway/router also controls our so called "land line" which is VoIP, which is vexing too. (Losing the "land line" when the power goes out kinda defeats the purpose.)

We've put the new one we got from them on a surge protector for now, but once I can check the outlet for ground(not all outlets in this house are grounded. I think I've said before it's screwy), I'd like to slap a UPS on it so we can protect the VoIP for a few hours and keep it running. Long enough for the power to come back on at least in most cases, we don't get multi-day power outs very often. Needs to be a reasonable price, and since I don't anticipate plugging in much more than the router, doesn't need a lot of plugs.

So yeah, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Can only speak with experience from business environments, but so far we've had a positive experience with CyberPower UPS systems. They have decent prices and at least the models we use for protecting servers have some features included that would cost premium with other companies.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I use APC (schneider electric) personally and at work

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

We used APC for our computers when I was at the sheriff's office. They were I want to say 100-200 each and were good enough to give a basic computer + Monitor 40ish minutes of power, and our smaller switches up to a couple of hours in case of an outage. Never had any issues with them.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

We also use APC at our company, in both network racks and smaller ones for desktops

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll look into APC then and get that outlet tester. I think all UPS's need a grounded outlet to work, so that's kinda necessary.

We put a heavy duty surge protector on the new tv/the living room setup btw since I think that's all THAT needs; like we'd have the living room TV and all on during a power outage.

I'm also planning on finding a way to ground the outlet in my room so I can put a UPS on my PC one of these days. ^^ We'll see on that.

But as I've said a few times since that happened; I like fried chicken, not fried electronics, so I want to be triple dog sure that it won't happen again! And make sure that we can at least have our "land line" working in case of emergencies.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

The thing you'll want to look into, and hate, You want to look into online/offline(standby)/active etc.

The standby ones transfer the power from the power grin and kicks in a few ms after it detects irregularities.
    Line Interactive ones "wash" the power, compensating for voltage issues etc. (within reason)
    Online are the most expensive (usually) and feeds your systems power from the battery so it's always "clean", and continually replenishes the battery from the power grid.

From what you say you want at least Line Interactive, probably online, and rather go for a small cheap model.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll remember that Hellfury once I talk 'Neko into going to Fry's. Thanks.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

In the case of surge protectors if there is a bad thunderstorm you should unplug them anyway. If a lighting strike hits your lines directly (it's rare but it can happen) it will burn that protector and destroy whatever is connected to it.