+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is voice a thing?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Is voice a thing?

Do any of you have voice-enabled products that you actually use and enjoy?

If there is a product that could either be accessed by GUI, Keyboard, or voice, which do you prefer? How about your kids?

I am trying to tell if I am just too old and stodgy to understand the allure of voice. I find it is only really useful in a handsfree environment and not due to inaccuracy of the voice assistant but rather due to speed. I trade off between keyboard and mouse depending on the task, but I can't see voice ever being speed competitive simply because language is inefficient.

If so, wtf is the point of voice-enabled desktops and crap?
    Would anyone talk to Alexa if it had a touchscreen?

I understand the ubiquity of voice and the cheapness of mics compared to touchscreens, but I still question this whole tech direction.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

My entire house is wireless and I have several Google homes/minis connected everywhere. Voice is amazing for a large number of tasks to keep me hands free and while doing others. Is it faster and easier to search on my phone or PC? Yes if they are in my hand. Although voice is faster for lights, temperature, weather, and things like math conversions or measurements.

It can answer pretty vague questions too which can be faster than getting out my phone.

I honestly love it, can't wait to be able to do more with it and get even more accurate answers.

A voice enabled desktop or something I'm not really ready for and don't feel the need for yet.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Love voice. Insanely useful for lights, thermostat, and playing music to soothe screaming baby. I also use it when I’m getting ready in the morning for weather and the best route to work.

My home office is on the third floor. Saying “Alexa show me the front door” or “show me the nursery” and having it appear on echo show is more efficient than trying to pull those apps up on my phone.

We also use our echos as an intercom, making it hella easy to talk to my wife when we’re on different floors.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Personally I don't want voice controlled tech. In general I try to avoid things with built in microphones and cameras.
    I work in tech and security is a large part of my everyday life, and there are somethings I just do not want or need in my life. I have had to read a lot of fine print for contracts etc. do.not.want.