+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HALP me choose which car.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

HALP me choose which car.

So hubby and I want to decide by next week which car to get rid of. We are getting a Rivian Truck delivered on Friday, which would leave us with three cars (don't want). So we are going to get rid of one of our current cars. The other one will be mine. But I can't decide which to keep! Note: I plan on getting the VW ID Buzz when it finally comes out, so this is a 2-3 year bridge and whichever car I keep would get traded in then. Here's the breakdown:

2014 Nissan Rogue SV: Has a third row so can seat 7. Fully paid off. I teach in LA, and I am paying about $200 a month in gas a month (less during summer). Dealership valued it at $9500.

2019 Chevy Bolt LT: Currently a Lease. All electric vehicle and we have solar panels. Dealership Valued it at $21,000. For us to purchase due to lease agreement it would be about $20,000 (Includes the rest of the lease payments.) Dealership is giving no breaking lease penalties.

We have a Credit Union and based on the rate we got for the Rivian, if we traded in the Rogue to use as a down payment and finance the rest for the Bolt, we would end up paying about $171 (this includes estimates for the taxes/fees).

Pros for the Rogue: Has more seating. Rarely used, but nice when I have it We are a family of 4, but nice when we have in-laws or kids' friends. Note: New truck fits 5 comfortably, we got to test that already. More other trunk space for bringing things to work. No payments is nice. If gas ever goes down (LOL) will end up spending less. Less hassle in keeping since no paperwork needed.

Pros for Bolt: Newer. Nicer features (touch screen). I am one of those people that wait until my car is at - - - before I finally get the gas (not because of finances, but because I just suck), so never having to go to a gas station sounds glorious. It's cuter, and more fun to drive. Less Maint needed overall.

I wanted to also mention the dealer kept saying that she thought the Bolts were going to tank in value soon because of the recalls (ours did get the replacement battery already). But I don't know if she said that because she thinks it's true, or she said that because it's better for the dealership to have us return the Bolt vs. sell them the Rogue. Any thoughts on that tidbit?

Also, feel free to give any input on these values and whether it's worth searching for other buyers. I love my husband, but he's not the haggler, I am. And I wanted to defenestrate him during our talk because he kept doing things I know you aren't supposed to do at a dealership (ie. Dealer asked what we were looking for, and I started giving numbers, and my husband piped up with, "WE'RE NOT REALLY SURE ABOUT THE NUMBERS." I love him. I really do. I should have left him home.) Also, since I am a female, I know they can often try to walk all over me. I am going to get a second offer sometime this week at least on the Nissan and show them what Chevy offered.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I guess in my personal view it comes down to which option will lead to the biggest ROI, will the Bolt still be worth $20,000-$21,000 by the time you’d trade it in for the VW? Honestly with the rate that electric cars are improving I can see the price for it tanking in the next few years.

I’d probably keep the Rogue myself because I doubt it’ll depreciate as much as the Bolt will.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

My wife had a 2020 red rogue, and it was awesome. I'd go with the rogue.

Have you checked the value of both on Driveway.com or Carvana or Shift? Just got done doing paperwork for my 370z and Driveway gave me $3k more then I paid for it back in 2018 and after I put 50k miles on it. No dealership could come close to where it would actually benefit me tax wise to trade in to them.

Rivian got good range? I'm about to pick up an Ioniq5 since i'm here in CA and despite it's good range I still plan to probably rent cars for road trips that are longer then 1-2 day drive. If you sell the Rogue I think you qualify for the CA rebate perhaps for selling off an ICE for an EV replacement? Can't remember the exact particulars there or if you qualify via income. I'd keep the bolt if you need a commuter for LA, LA is horrible (Was up there visiting JPL recently and forgot how bad traffic is at fucking noon of all times) and given that great EV infrastructure/home charging costs i'd probably keep the bolt. Not sure if the recalls are gonna hit it that hard in terms of value, but guess it depends on how Chevy fixes the issue

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Only factor I consider for keeping the Rogue - Is your area of the SCV in a high wind/fire prone area that the PG&E would cut the power? That is my only fear for dropping an ICE vehicle especially if you're going to deal with a sudden evacuation orders and/or possible brownouts.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    It's cuter, and more fun to drive.
    this may be the bachelor in me but for me it ultimately comes down to this, especially for the amount of driving you seem to do. likely ain't the most economical tho as Drai points out re depreciation but hey life is short.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Thanks for all the input everyone. Against the majority, I am actually leaning more and more towards the Bolt believe it or not.

Biggest push is there are rumors gas could hit up to $8 a gallon. I believe it, as my local gas station has gone up 20 cents in the past week alone. And if that ends up happening, chances are the bolt is gonna save us a ton of money even if it ends up depreciating faster. Also, if gas goes up to $8, the chances of it ever going back down from $6 is min to none.

It's a semi-gamble either way for sure, but the more gas prices rise, the more demand for EVs will happen.

I am going to go to the Nissan dealer on Friday with Chevy's offer and see if I can squeeze out another 1k in value out of it.

Distances for EVs doesn't matter too much out here. For those who may not have one, there are charging stations everywhere. My car is basically going to be come strictly a commuter car no matter which I choose, and the bolt will have enough for that even just plugged into the regular wall. We got the super charger for the Rivian, but we can use it for the Bolt, too.

We've gone down to SD and back on the Bolt (charge it at in-laws once there or the local walmart), and the Rivian has a longer distance.

Personally, I feel like I want to cut out the gas driving in my family, and we will just have to make it work. More and more stations are being built, and the Rivian can get plugged in at RV spots when camping.

As to the depreciation, that is also a toss up gamble. From what I read, Nissan's values tank after 10 years, which my car would be at once the Buzz comes out. The Chevy is starting out 2k higher than our buyout (it's valued at 21k, but our buyout per the lease is 19k), so that does give us a little bit of wiggle room on depreciation.

For the recall, there is a huge line for the replacement battery BUT ours actually got it. As long as no other issues, it should be good there. *fingers crossed* If anything, if gas does get to $8 the extra money we save could end up counteracting the tank in value. But good lord, if I kept the rogue I could be out quite a few hundred bucks by the time I get the buzz.

I drove a Kia NIRO from SD to LA the other week and was able to do each run on only like 1hr of charge and cost me $15 or something which is amazing. My fucking Ioniq5 better come in soon.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Honestly, if my friend can road trip in his Tesla Model S from south bay area in california to Jacksonville, Florida, you can pretty much survive anywhere with an electric car with decent range so long as you're not entirely out in the boonies.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Dealers couldn't come within 3k of my online quote when I sold my lease. Get a quote from every online dealer, use it as leverage with real dealers and other online dealers. Never leave the house do it all over the phone.

Auto lenders bought my lease for 8k over my payoff.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I almost thought there was a choice for a chevy cruze? cruise? meh.. but it's a bolt.. I would say this depends on your needs.

Go electric and skip all fuel burning vehicles, this is the future no matter what. Just make sure it can fit all the things you'll be needing.
    An remember to start saving for the next vehicle battery pack.. yearly or sooner.. because those aren't gonna be cheap to replace.

As for brand.. chevy can do alright, just keep a good mechanic nearby you can trust.
    Tesla can wait for price drops.. their nice but watch out for the rim replacement prices if you go this route before buying any.

Do not trust any brands not well known for vehicles, too much room for error there.
    That's my advice, I'm out.

post 4 of 10.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

As someone that has had a EV car for the past year, I am very thankful we kept my girlfriends Kia for the longer trips.

So im biased, and would say keep the rogue just to have a solid option for road trips/longer travels.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The ai tricked you jmc. This thread be olde.

I did go with the bolt, though, and loving never having to wait in line for gas.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

my thought is a. the rogue is paid off, yeah, paying for gas sucks but also, is the bolt capable of doing the driving if you are driving that much. and b. the dealership said that bolts will crash in price because of the recalls, so if yours has all the recalls taken care of, with carfax papertrail, yours shouldnt crash (i could be completely wrong, but its something to consider and research)