+ Reply to Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

New Studio Ghibli movie: The Borrower Arrietty!!!

Hayao Miyazaki wrote the script for the film based on Norton’s novel. Directing is 36-year old Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who served as a key animator on Miyazaki’s classics Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away. He’s the youngest feature director in Studio Ghibli history. Miyazaki has long wanted to adapt the novel (The Borrowers), and is overseeing the production.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i am not at all ashamed for being excited about this

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I bet it'll be a million times better than that shitty live action one.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I bet it'll also be a million times better than the crap that was Ponyo.

Still nice to see there's a studio out there still dedicated to feature film quality traditional animation in this day and age, will be keeping an eye out on this one.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Ponyo was for sure my least favorite Ghibli movies, but that said, it definitely had its moments of awesomeness. HAM.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Ponyo wasn't too bad it just was aimed at a far younger audience than the usual Miyazaki stuff. Felt slow and tried to be careful not to be too crazy/scary a lot like Kiki's Delivery Service was. Also the enviromental message was incredibly over played and way too obvious. In Nausicaa it's fairly subtle until closer to the end which makes it feel all the more poignant. Ponyo was almost a commercial that could have been saying, "don't pollute or you'll kill Little Nemo."

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Amagad! Wewt! SO WANT!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Wow this looks amazing, I love the song that was playing in that trailer, too. Hopefully here's to a new standard director at Ghibli.

Banned.

BG Level

Fuck, what is with ghibli and all the female heroines?; still do want.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Great music, great animation, probably a good story. I'm excited.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Fuck, what is with ghibli and all the female heroines?; still do want.
    I can't speak for the other directors, but Miyazaki has said in the past that at least some of the girls in his movies are based on real little girls he's met or knows well. As far as classic stories go, look at Disney - the heroines are the most celebrated of the main characters (Belle, Ariel, Mulan etc). The female is generally the more interesting of the hero/heroine duo, and often comes to the forefront as the character who breaks stereotypes and displays the most inner strength. You can see examples of this in pretty much all of Miyazaki's movies, from the very start with Nausicaa. Of course, there are exceptions, but generally the most interesting stories seem to have a strong female, and perhaps Miyazaki feels this way too (I'm not sure if he said anything along those lines, but I'd believe it).

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think it's precedent set by Miyazaki who has stated that he purposefully sought to portray empowered female leads as opposed to moe-blob hapless girls.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ponyo wasnt bad. I didnt like Only Yesterday or My Neighbours the Yamadas.

This looks fairly good though.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I only half paid attention to the story in Ponyo. Hell, by the end of the movie my friend and I were openly mocking the (crappy/weird)(story/dialogue). Those words mix and match, enjoy. I went to see it for the Animation myself. Ghibli films are gorgeous, they could animate Scrottie McBoogerballs and I'd go watch it for the animation. Having said that, I wish Ponyo had been more consistent. It kept going from one style to another without really anything linking them in the plot. This looks like it will be consistent, so woo.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I really liked Only Yesterday but Umi ga Kikoeru (ocean waves) can go to hell, boring as fuck. The only bigger disappointment as far as Ghibli movies to me is Porco Rosso, which may be a good movie but simply doesn't suit my tastes (I think it's retarded). The only ones I haven't seen are Yamadas, Pom Poko, Ponyo and Tales of Earthsea, which I hear is basically what happens when a director takes a shit and calls it a movie... I'm going to be watching all of these fairly soon, and I'm pretty confident Ponyo and Pom Poko will be decent at least... but I'm really looking forward to seeing this Borrowers movie, it looks great.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Umi ga Kikoeru is my favorite ^^ Yeah it can be boring.. But... The good boring!

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

awesome, can't wait

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Okay I saw Ponyo yesterday, I really liked it. It was way different than the usual style of Miyazaki movie, but therein lies its charm.
    He just makes such cute little kids, they almost make me believe children aren't inherently evil poop-machines hell bent on smelly destruction!