+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 187 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, there was someone handing out hacked blocks to people. Got a few myself from him. I personally didn't get the impression he'd go around griefing people himself, so it might have been one of the people he gave blocks to.

EDIT: Is the server full, or down, right now? I can't connect, saying "Took too long to log in".

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

You can easily cron a script to backup the world directory or download one of the many utilities that most likely does something similar for you. That way you can have a directory of backups to which you can rollback, maybe keep 5 or so and backup every 4,8 or 12 hours.

This would mean all progress would be lost when a backup was used though, so definitely should use the whitelist or something similar, this would just require giving enough people the privilege of adding users to whitelist. If enough people can do it then at least one person able to do it will be online at any given time so that nobody is really hindered by it. Really though there's no way to avoid it besides catching suspicious names and banning the IPs altogether.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What would be nice is if, someday, blocks had a hidden "placed by" attribute. Whenever a block is placed, it is timestamped and marked with whoever placed it, and an admin can just put his crosshairs on a block and have the info come up. Similarly, a "ghost" mode where you view only blocks that were there last time the area was in memory for you, but is not anymore. With a similar "removed by" attribute.

Oh i really like both of those ideas... Would be nice to see something like that implemented by Notch or a Modder.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Well we could reset the server in the near future and only let people with 1000+ posts or 5+ month join dates on the server which I think is everyone here from BG. Anyone who doesn't PM their name to Ragns/Qal/Sono/whoever the mods are will be banned on site.

Thats one way to do it.

OH OH OH!!!

Someone just posted this on the other thread and its a good idea.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn_Jails

Works great until there's no admin online... then the whole server's closed until one gets back on.
    We could just make the default starting area jailed and everyone who is cool on the server set their /spawnpoint somewhere thats outside of the jail, then just use /home or /spawn to leave it and anyone who hasn't been on the server will be stuck until a admin lets them out.

This way when the admins are not online we wont have people dropping in and messing up stuff.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    Well we could reset the server in the near future and only let people with 1000+ posts or 5+ month join dates on the server which I think is everyone here from BG. Anyone who doesn't PM their name to Ragns/Qal/Sono/whoever the mods are will be banned on site.

Thats one way to do it.
    I think another server reset so soon is jumping the gun a bit. We don't need another reset until duping is fixed and survival is implemented.

It's not like there's TNT craters all over the place, just some water/lava sources to clean up and some stray obsidian to mine down.

I like the Jail idea though. Truth be told however I don't think I have seen Ragns on once since the restart though, so not sure how that would work for new people. I am not complaining, nice enough that he has the server for us to use at all.

As for the lava/water tiles, I admit I have some myself. Too good to pass up WORKING water, until a bucket fix mod is added. What I didn't get at first was how it was done. I assumed that there was no SMP equivalent of INVedit. I was wrong apparently.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I haven't been back on since the update, but what happened to the no duping we agreed on before hand? Looks like that went right out the window =(

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I only gave out blocks to certain people , jin, the guy working on the sphinx , and elimir or whoever wears the old spice guy avatar only people I gave infinite blocks to

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

and I gave out water blocks first because we have no buckets.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I haven't been back on since the update, but what happened to the no duping we agreed on before hand? Looks like that went right out the window =(
    yeah I got in the first day and asked if I should dupe the diamonds in the community chest so I could make tools and everyone was like NOOOOO
    log on today and water, lava, obsidian, hellstones, diamond blocks, etc, all over

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

The jail idea is just an overcomplicated whitelist, that'd be pointless.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    The jail idea is just an overcomplicated whitelist, that'd be pointless.
    Na. It keeps people out that are not on it. If grieferA logs on when no mods are on he is able to wreck havok until an admin logs on.

Jail idea keeps them out, lets friendlies in and everything is gravy.

In any case what is required to host a server? Do I need to buy something on the website or have an actual server setup or what?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    Na. It keeps people out that are not on it. If grieferA logs on when no mods are on he is able to wreck havok until an admin logs on.

Jail idea keeps them out, lets friendlies in and everything is gravy.
    Whitelist does the same thing. Without sacrificing /spawn for everyone.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

I'll say that I am in fact guilty of duping, was a necessary evil to get my winter biome to look... well like winter, Only blocks I duped were the snow tiles to place onto grass that was being dug up and/or melted. Also the water to fill our moat considering buckets don't work.

Honestly when I see something over duped... like 20 stacks of diamonds or Obsidian, I throw that shit into lava....

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I say we get the whitelist

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I only gave out blocks to certain people , jin, the guy working on the sphinx , and elimir or whoever wears the old spice guy avatar only people I gave infinite blocks to
    Ok, so the no duping went out the window then.

If we do the jail thing, once an admin moves you out, can you perma set your spawn point elsewhere? Combination jail/whitelist seems like best. Also, we doing a reset at some point with all the duped tiles around? How much of a concern is the duping to you guys?

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

I don't like the duping at all, but with smp the way it is some things need to be duped :/

Nice Smiley Havoc.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Duping is no problem to me as long as it is stuff that is common in the world (coal, cobblestone, clean stone and things of that nature). If we're going around duping stuff that is pretty rare all over the place, then I see a problem with that. As far as spawning things into the game.. well spawning lava and water source blocks is fine to me as well since people would be able to do it themselves all they want since in single player you can make an infinite lava and water source pool, its just that buckets dont work in multiplayer. Everything outside of that, I really don't approve of.

Also a quick glance at the list of logins, the only name I don't know that was online at the time of the greifing was Vyandra. Other than another closer look, it might be time to start playing the game of Clue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 187 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast