1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 47 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ask the Devs: System Menu & Guildleves (11/01/10)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...58477744aa1669
    Today's Q&A serves to shed some light onto several issues that newcomers to FINAL FANTASY XIV may face when stepping into the realm of Eorzea for the first time. Continue reading to learn more about the Interactions menu, as well as guildleve progression and rewards!

The Interactions Menu

Q. I am trying to access an aetheryte, but am unable to target it. What should I do?

A. Upon drawing near an aetheryte, the icon pictured to the left will appear in the upper portion of your game
    screen. When it does, access the main menu. You will find that an Aetehryte option will now be available under the Interactions menu. This command will allow you to access an aetheryte.
    The above icon will be displayed when commands such as Aetheryte and Check become available in the Interactions menu. A full list of icons used by the Interactions menu can be found below.

Guildleves

Q. What should I do after completing the levequest that I received in the tutorial?

A. New guildleves can be obtained from certain NPCs located in the Adventurers' Guilds in each of the three nations. Players are also encouraged to read more details about guildleves.

We strongly suggest that new players undertake the main scenario questline in order to familiarize themselves with the game. The next steps required to advance a main scenario quest, such as places or people that must be visited, can be viewed by accessing either the Journal or NPC Linkpearls options from the main menu.

Once comfortable with the game, players are encouraged to attempt a new class. Changing classes is as simple as equipping a different weapon or tool in the main hand slot. The initial, low-rank weapons and tools for each class can be purchased from NPCs in each of the three nations. For those seeking such wares, we have prepared a list of NPC names and general whereabouts.

Q. I arrived at the area named in my regional levequest, but I cannot find any levequest targets. What am I doing wrong?

A. Levequest targets, much like all enemies, may sometimes be found high atop cliffs or below ground in caves. Also, it is possible that a target has been "moved" from its original location. This may occur when a player engages a target in combat and then moves some distance from the original location. When this happens, the player's "claim" over the target will end, and the target will continue to wander about the area.

Q.How do I go about gathering activities, such as mining and fishing?

A. To engage in gathering, a player must first make sure to have the proper primary tool equipped for the desired Discipline of the Land class. The next step is to locate gathering points. Gathering points, such as mineral deposits or mature trees, appear as bright flashes of light. Drawing close to these points will cause the appropriate command, such as Mine or Log, to appear in the Interactions menu. Fishing is accomplished in much the same way, with the Fish command appearing in the Interactions menu when a player is near enough to fishable waters.*
    * Some locations near water may not cause the Interactions menu icon to appear on-screen, and therefore cannot be fished.

Q. I initiated a local levequest, but was not given the materials I needed. Gathering all of the materials myself seems like it would be extremely difficult. Is there some other way to go about this?

A. Players are not required to gather the materials required for local levequests on their own. Rather, they may be obtained from the levequest client NPC. Open the Journal from the main menu to view any active local levequests, and then simply select any levequest to display information such as the client's name and location. Furthermore, players may engage in synthesis for local levequests without having to use their own crystals and shards.

If the levequest destination is a camp, the client NPC will be located in that camp. The locations of client NPCs within the three main cities are listed below.

Q. How can I see what materials I need to do synthesis for a local levequest?

A. First, select the Requested Items option from the synthesis screen. This will display a list of active levequests. Selecting a levequest from this list will show the item that is being requested, together with the materials required to synthesize it.

Q. Why should I even do levequests? What do I get out of it?

A. Levequests award players with skill and experience point bonuses.* In addition, as a character's class rank increases, higher level guildleves will become accessible, offering greater rewards. The material rewards for completing a levequest include gil, equippable items, and synthesis materials.

* Skill and experience point bonuses will not be awarded for combat, gathering, and synthesis not associated with an active guildleve.
    Just some clarification for those still confused by local leves and whatnot. Extremely elementary shit.

New Odin
    BG Level

/hijack

Lodestone was also updated. Here are the details:

An update for The FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone was performed at the following time.

[Date & Time]
    Nov. 1, 2010 at 00:07 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
    The FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone

[Important Update Details]

General
    - Implemented a "History" feature which displays a record of any achievements the character has accomplished in FINAL FANTASY XIV.
    The page can be accessed by selecting the "History" option located under the "My Site" menu and also within the "Character" section.

Examples of achievements: Reached certain aetheryte crystals, completed certain quests, gained a rank with certain classes, etc.

- Increased the maximum file size of an image that can be uploaded from 1 MB to 3 MB.
    - The information listed on the Topics section is now RSS compatible.
    - Added a "How to Use This Website" section which includes the recommended environment and language settings for the website.

Blog
    - The content menu (the sub-menu on the right side of the page) now displays the 10 most recent entries.
    - Added an option to view the previous and following blog entries of a specific entry, and the option to jump to the top page of the "Blog" section.

Character Profile
    - Character profile now displays the character data within the website.
    - Added a link which will take users back to the top page of the character profile.
    - Added a mini profile within the content menu (the sub-menu on the right side of the page) to the "Blog" and "Follow" sections of the character profile page.

Other
    - Other issues have been addressed.
    My Roegadyn has 33 achievement-things already >_>; I hope they can work on making it better organized, now it's a clusterfuck.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Lodestone achievements keep track of:

Obtaining levels/ranks (multiples of 5)
    Attuning to aetheryte/aetherial gate locations
    Completing quests
    Purchasing traits/abilities
    Completing Faction Leves
    And... all those little achievement messages you get in-game about "xxx gil earned during a leve", "defeating xxx enemies", "completing xxx local leves" etc.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Seriously, if someone hadn't figured out how to do everything in this "Ask the Devs" on their own already I doubt they would be able to even find the Lodestone site.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I like the achievements. Makes me wanna play on PS3 for trophies.

Cop out on the systems menu part.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well hey, achievements. Kinda cool.. if not expected since it IS coming out on the ps3 eventually.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Damn when I saw the title I was hoping for questions like, "Why does the menu suck right now?"

A. Levequests award players with skill and experience point bonuses.*

* Skill and experience point bonuses will not be awarded for combat, gathering, and synthesis not associated with an active guildleve.
    If i'm reading this right, I guess it settles the matter of Guardian Favor's effect on non-leve mobs.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Crizto View Post
    Damn when I saw the title I was hoping for questions like, "Why does the menu suck right now?"
    rofl, same...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I can't believe they made an Ask the Dev for this shit.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I can't believe they made an Ask the Dev for this shit.
    Ditto lol This should be easy to figure out in an hour of playtime.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    If i'm reading this right, I guess it settles the matter of Guardian Favor's effect on non-leve mobs.
    Appears so. Less work for me! I love when being wrong means I can go back to being lazy.

Appears so. Less work for me! I love when being wrong means I can go back to being lazy.
    The work of those who try to figure out the shady parts of the system should always be appreciated, whenever they're right or wrong /cheer

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Looks like they are tacking on "Ask the Devs" to anything Q&A-related. Just like the last one that was focused on beginner this one says on the front "My First Q&A." It should be "Ask anyone that has been playing for more than an hour"

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Man that last line made me so happy. The past week being called a retard for saying that favor doesn't effect anything outside of leve mobs was all worth it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

11/4/2010 - Ask the Devs: How to turn on your computer and start playing FFXIV!

Why did these go in reverse order from Semi-Advanced > Stupid?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's technically not an "Ask the Devs" article. Any Q&A falls under "Ask the Devs" in terms of Lodestone news categorization. This is a "My First Q&A" article. I probably should have labeled the thread as such.