1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 13 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 10 hours, 58 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 3 hours, 58 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Odin
    BG Level

Ask the Devs! (11/5/2010) Bonus Point Allotment & Quests

Bonus Point Allotment

Q. What are these so-called "bonus points"?
    A. The term "bonus point" refers to a type of point awarded to a player when his or her physical level rises. Once acquired, these points may be freely assigned to any of a number of stats, allowing players to take a more active role in their character's development. Though the amount of bonus points awarded every level will continue to go up as a player progresses, the amount of bonus points required to raise stats will also increase as the value of the stats themselves rise. Below are two charts displaying the number of bonus points awarded at each physical level, and the amount of bonus points required to raise stats at certain values, respectively.

Physical Levels and Bonus Point Awards
    Physical Level Bonus Points Awarded
    2 4
    3–4 5
    5–9 6
    10–20 8
    21–23 10
    24–26 12
    27–29 14
    30–32 16
    33–35 18
    36–38 20
    39–41 22
    42–44 24
    45–47 26
    48–50 28

Stat Values and Required Bonus Points
    Attribute Value Bonus Points Required
    ≤40 1
    41–80 2
    81–127 3
    ≥128 4

Q. I am having a hard time deciding where to allocate my bonus points. What effect will raising each of the various stats have on my character?
    A. The effects for each available stat are listed below:

Strength (STR)
    # Increases damage dealt by physical attacks
    # Increases damage prevented when blocking attacks with a shield

Vitality (VIT)
    # Reduces damage taken from physical attacks
    # Increases maximum HP

Dexterity (DEX)
    # Increases accuracy of physical attacks
    # Increases chances of evading physical attacks
    # Increases critical hit rate of physical attacks and resulting damage
    # Increases parry rate for certain weapons

Intelligence (INT)
    # Increases damage dealt by magic attacks

Mind (MND)
    # Reduces damage taken from magic attacks
    # Increases maximum MP

Piety (PIE)
    # Reduces chances of your magic attacks being resisted
    # Increases your chance of resisting magic attacks of others

Elements
    # Increases damage dealt by attacks of that element
    # Reduces damage taken from attacks of the opposing element

Hints as to which attributes are most advantageous to each class can be discovered in-game by speaking to NPCs or examining the stats of items purchased with guild marks. For those who simply wish to have the facts straightaway, however, we have provided the following lists.

Disciplines of War & Magic

Disciples of War rely most heavily upon the STR, VIT, and DEX attributes, while for Disciples of Magic the emphasis is on INT, MND, and PIE. This is useful to remember for players who wish to maximize their character's potential when allocating bonus points.

In addition, there are bonuses to the effect of magic spells that are also based on attribute values. Below is a list showing the general relationship between attributes and magic types. The conditions that result in such bonuses, however, varies between spells.

Magic Type Attribute
    Offensive (attack/counter) INT
    Healing, Defensive MND
    Absorb, Damage over Time (DoT) PIE

Discipline of the Land
    Indications as to which attributes are most important to classes within the Discipline of the Land can be found in-game by closely examining the gathering-related abilities obtained via guild marks. Again, for those not willing to invest that sort of time, we have listed the relationships below.

Class Attribute
    Miner VIT, MND
    Botanist STR, INT
    Fisher DEX, PIE

Discipline of the Hand

The effect of attributes on synthesis is limited. When attempting to craft a high-quality item, however, the likelihood of success increases as the attribute most closely associated with the tool being used rises. As the attributes associated with the main and off hand tools of each class are different, players may wish to give careful consideration to the class on which they wish to focus. A list showing the attributes related with the main and off hand tools of each class can be found below.

Class Related Attribute
    Main Hand Tool Off Hand Tool
    Carpenter VIT DEX
    Blacksmith STR MND
    Armorer VIT STR
    Goldsmith DEX INT
    Leatherworker VIT INT
    Weaver DEX MND
    Alchemist INT PIE
    Culinarian MND PIE

It is possible to reset allocated bonus points and free them up for redistribution by selecting Reassign from the Point Allotment screen. Players are encouraged to make use of this feature as needed.

Q. I pressed the Reassign button but did not get all of my bonus points back. Why?
    A. Using the Reassign feature will reset only a certain number of allotted bonus points. The feature will then become available for use again after a short period of time. Players wishing to reset all of their bonus points will be required to use the Reassign feature multiple times.

Q. I allocated all of my bonus points to STR, but it did not increase my damage output nearly as much as I had hoped. Why?
    A. Each attribute has an upper limit, or "cap," that rises whenever a character's class rank goes up. Therefore, even if a player allots all of his or her bonus points to a single attribute such as STR, it is not the case that this will yield overly dramatic results. Distributing bonus points across several attributes rather than concentrating on a single one will result in a much more well-balanced character.

Quests

Q. I am having difficulty with the rank 30 quest for leatherworker. The class rank needed to successfully complete the requested synthesis seems to be high. Is this going to be balanced?
    A. Balancing of synthesis recipes, including the leatherworking recipe in question, will be part of the version update scheduled for late November. Adjustments will be made to both degrees of difficulty and required ranks.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...5e1bf4ab725f29

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Straight up attribute explanations. Sweet.

So much theorycrafting getting put to bed. I love it.

For those of you with no patience at all, here are the lists
    Also, it's amusing people need to be told that it's wise to free up attribute points that won't have any use for later.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

aha, so melee based attributes aren't completely useless for mages...

This is good shit, time to fix some stats I guess.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Well this doesn't change DEX seems broke. 15~130 doesn't seem to change acc at all --;

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

This is a good Ask-the-devs. I'm going to make some adjustments to my stats tonight!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Magic Type Attribute
    Healing, Defensive MND

Am I reading this right in thinking that they are saying that INT will increase my counter rate, MND will increase my healing abilities such as Second Wind, and PIE will lower the damage I take from DOT spells? The comma between absorb and DOT kind of confuses me, is absorb a stand alone thing, and if so what does it absorb?

Siphon MP/TP, Drain, Absorb EVA/ATK etc are absorb spells, Frost/Shock etc are DoT.

I think by counter they mean spikes type spells effectiveness.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

So I was onto something in OB with the way I set my stats for Conj... Hmm...

Does someone have some numbers ready on the matter of attributes cap?
    I mean, maybe the fact a lot of people are experiencing accuracy issues with so much DEX could be caused by its current cap being exceeded by like 2 or 3 times already.

I dunno (and maybe I'm talking clueless here) but given how SE was in love with 5% or 10% during the whole of FF11, it seems weird they want people to roam around with "70 70 70 14 14 14"

Old Merits
    BG Level

Looks like when they removed agi from the game they just combined its attributes with dex.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

There was no Agi even in open Beta. Dunno about closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arximiro View Post
    Magic Type Attribute
    Healing, Defensive MND

Am I reading this right in thinking that they are saying that INT will increase my counter rate, MND will increase my healing abilities such as Second Wind, and PIE will lower the damage I take from DOT spells? The comma between absorb and DOT kind of confuses me, is absorb a stand alone thing, and if so what does it absorb?
    For some stupid reason the OP thought it was a good idea to copy the entire post here and lose all its formatting. At the bottom of his post you can find the actual original post. Click that.

I love the fact that they seem legitimately annoyed about giving out this information:

Hints as to which attributes are most advantageous to each class can be discovered in-game by speaking to NPCs or examining the stats of items purchased with guild marks. For those who simply wish to have the facts straightaway, however, we have provided the following lists.
    Again, for those not willing to invest that sort of time, we have listed the relationships below.
    This just sounds like an odd thing to say, and they're calling out basically 99% of the people who play the game. I think if it weren't for the negative fallout of the game, we wouldn't be seeing this Ask the Devs at all.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    For some stupid reason the OP thought it was a good idea to copy the entire post here and lose all its formatting. At the bottom of his post you can find the actual original post. Click that.
    People have QQ'd about not being able to read the info here instead of having to click the link to the lodestone.

Fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    People have QQ'd about not being able to read the info here instead of having to click the link to the lodestone.

Fuck you.
    I thought when you used the internet, it was a given that occasionally you had to click links.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonystar View Post
    Well this doesn't change DEX seems broke. 15~130 doesn't seem to change acc at all --;
    Yeah, the impact of STR and DEX both seems somewhat underwhelming. DEX especially.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I love the fact that they seem legitimately annoyed about giving out this information:

This just sounds like an odd thing to say, and they're calling out basically 99% of the people who play the game. I think if it weren't for the negative fallout of the game, we wouldn't be seeing this Ask the Devs at all.
    Yea, I agree with you on this. The post is one of most informative yet(if not the best). Yet, it comes across as them being pissed off having to even divulge this Secret Squirrel Information. Despite this information SHOULD have been in the instruction booklet or in game tutorial to begin with.

Now to spend my unused 219 points I've been hoarding for a few weeks.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Well, at least now I can reallocate a fair bit of my MND over to DEX for Weaver.