Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Some people (myself included) consider the heft a positive point, just sayin'.

Lots of places that sell them will resize with a replacement ring for little to no charge.
    The heft symbolizes the ball and chain attached to your ankle! (I jest.)

But yeah I think being heavier would not be so bad at times. Going to have a look tomorrow at pretty much all the random metals they have so I'll get some first hand experience with them.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses they've given me. It has really helped to be able to hear some first-hand accounts from owners or the various types of rings, and how they perform in daily life.

assburgers
    BG Level

Don't forget to play with a Kinekt gear ring if you get a chance, $165 for endless hours of spinny clickity fun.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    Awesome, but fragile as shit.

Worth going into a store and trying on different things anyway just to get some idea of the type of fit you want - there's like ones which aren't rounded on either your finger or the exterior side, ones that are rounded on the outside but not the inside (like a capital D) and ones that are rounded on both - especially if you're not used to wearing a ring (or you're an arkward bastard like my dear fella - who finally now believes me that you actually get used to wearing a ring) it's worth getting a clear idea of what's going to be comfortable for you in terms of that type of fit (I forget the jewellers terms for it all) - even if you do go pick it up cheaper online. Was very useful for us to try that out with Captain TwistyKnickers in terms of different fits and band widths particularly.

We've got matching ones in white gold (I don't suit yellow gold with my skintone at all and it was my husband who actually wanted them to be matching - not me) and because they've got an etched design into them they haven't visibly scratched at all anyway - despite the fact that I'm generally the kiss of death to jewellery and my husband's the world's most accident prone man. Engagement ring's insured because it's got a very very narrow band to it so I was scared of breaking that one - and did have to get it repaired when it got bashed out of shape moving furniture around - wedding ring's been no problem.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by GentaiShinigami View Post
    Tungsten CarbiDe
    FTFY because it was driving me crazy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Mine is platinum, and I like mine. One thing I'm very bad about, is that if a ring feels like it's ON my finger all the time, I WILL take it off. I'm just weird that way, I guess.

The ring that I have has a comfort fit band, and has very nice weight - it feels solid without feeling heavy, and quite honestly, I don't even know it's there most of the time.

Any jewelry store worth their salt will stand behind their product, period. My store, when I got my ring scratched up, they took it for like a week, had it re-polished and re-coated, shined, and everything for free. I have a lifetime warranty on the ring itself, so it's moot point for me insofar as costs.

This is my ring - mine's in platinum - but this is a white gold version that's pretty nice too and my ring looks like this one.

http://www.bluenile.com/wedding-ring-white-gold_6282

Banned.

BG Level

Tungstenworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by GentaiShinigami View Post
    Just recently wandered onto these things, and am researching them really hard atm. Seem to have everything sorted, but have run into just a couple of problems. It would be nice if someone here has some experience with these and could shed a little light on them! Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

#1: I know they are a Mohs or ~9, and are very scratch resistant provided they are Tungsten Carbite, but are in turn very very brittle. What I'm concerned with is accidentally breaking the ring on something like a granite/quartz counter-top or accidentally dropping it onto the floor (tile seems the worst-case scenario). Scratches and shit aren't as huge of a concern. I mean sure a dollar store nail file with synthetic diamond on it will scratch it, but it'd own gold/platinum/silver just the same so does it really matter? XD I just don't want a ring that's going to break cause i slammed my hand down too hard.

#2: Tungstenworld.com so far is seeming like a pretty good place to go if I do decide to get a tungsten band. I've looked far and wide on the net and could only find one complaint (repeated on 3 sites I've never seen before), and one of the sites had a rebuttal claiming the site makes fake negative reviews and contacts the seller trying to basically extort them into signing up with the site to "manage" it's reputation. That honestly doesn't sound too unlikely lol. I figure if the site was so bad I wouldn't have to look so hard to find something negative, but I'd like to know if anyone here has any experience with them or has a better place at which to shop. The "problem" that was reported was that the ring was tarnishing into a very dark almost black color after several months of wear. Couldn't find any other reports really of it though, and to me it sounded like a cobalt-binder tungsten ring that had leeched and been permanently "stained". This website doesn't use cobalt for a binder though because of that and uses the more accepted nickel binder (though I've heard this does make it more brittle than cobalt would).

Thanks for any advice on the matter! If you have experience with any other non-traditional band materials I'd love to hear about them (ie, titanium, cobalt, palladium, carbon fiber etc).
    You asked about Tungstenworld.com so I just wanted to let you know I bought my husband's ring from them and he loves it. We've had no problems, and it hasn't tarnished at all. I went with them because I heard good things about them, and I'd say it was a good choice.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It has been a pleasure meeting you!

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have a tungsten band, been wearing it almost a year now. It is very scratch resisitant which is what i wanted since i work a lot with my hands. Only issue as people said is it can't be resized.

I am by far the worst poster in most threads, including Olroy and Mazmaz. I go from 0 to Mad in 0.6 seconds. Also, 8==============D
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I got a Tungsten band I love it.. it seems indestructible.

keep in mind it's only 1+ yr old

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

locking because of necrobump.