1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 12 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 21 hours, 24 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    We'll see, Hyan. There's a lot of Monkey See - Monkey Do in the MMO world. I'd hate to see this kind of tripe gain ground.
    It really wouldn't work for almost anyone else. I don't know about what kind of money they may or may not be dumping into the game right now (other than simply the money they're "losing" from not charging sub fees, although how many would stick around for them at the moment, I don't know), but I'm pretty sure if they weren't such a renown games company and this wasn't a Final Fantasy brand game, they would be up shits creek right now no matter what they did or promised.

There aren't many companies with brands like FF that would enable them get away with this kind of release. SE is making a pretty big gamble right now with XIV, and whether they deserve to pull it off or not after the way they've treated people in the past and how they attempted to again, I can't imagine any other company that wanted to maintain their credibility (especially if it was new) trying this, never mind more than one. SE isn't just burning away their money till they get this game going properly, they're burning their reputation. And that could very well influence future game sales, as well as the length of time people will sub to this even after it's become a game they enjoy, simply because they may find their attention turned towards something else sooner and easier as a result.

I think it will turn around, but as a result of this fiasco, I, for one, will probably be buying Guild Wars 2 (which I didn't care about and hadn't even considered before I realized how bad XIV was at release), and keeping an eye on future MMO releases to see if anything else peeks my interest, which I hadn't cared enough to bother doing before now. I've already stated my intention, at least, of playing at least through the next year if all these updates pan out as well as they're sounding, and almost surely will (unless GW2 comes out in Q2-3 and completely rips my attention away). But I'd originally hoped to enjoy this as long as I did XI (5~+ years), and ignore most other games like I did during those years and just enjoy XIV, and that definitely won't be happening now, no matter what they do.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    I seriously hope SE fails so hard for releasing such an unfinished product. Dont get me wrong, I have witnessed some MMO launches, they never were all perfect, but FFXIV launch was just a spit in the players/fanbases face. They need to fail hardcore seriously. (and they allready did halfway with the release, many people wont touch the game until 6 month - 1 year has passed) No company should get a 2. chance after such a fail release, especially if they had previous MMO experience like SE had.
    Still a bit bitter? lol. SE is pretty much like MS, love em or hate em even if they have a sloppy release of something *coughwindowsmecough* they have enough of a foothold in their particular field that people will always give them another chance.

New Odin
    BG Level

XIV(ista) fails? NP, let's release a new version; Final Fantasy 7. It'll be a huge success.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's inevitable.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Elrina, that doesn't mean someone wouldn't try it, and that's what I don't want to see.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Why? Not that I'm eager for it, mind you, but I can't think of anyone making MMOs (save Blizzard, who's too smart and capable to put themselves in this position in the first place) who wouldn't just go down in flames as a result. And, if we even noticed the failed release of yet another random MMO, it would just further go to show the other MMO developers as to why this is bad for business. It's not like it's your money, or mine, that would be getting squandered if some other fool company decided to try to follow this pattern.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Because I wouldn't want to see potential.... potential snuffed so early. I wanted to see what would come out of Warhammer. I wanted to play White Lion. Look what happened to it. I also wanted to play Guardian in AoC. Look what happened to it.

New Odin
    BG Level

Most MMO's don't have potential.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm not that much of a pessimist (or perhaps, a realist) yet, Hyan. I'd like to think that most MMO concepts have the potential to succeed. Somewhere between the drawing board and the store shelves is where things get all fucked up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by qpoiuwer View Post
    A lot of the time marketing will go demo a product and be like "it can do x, y, and z! you can buy it next week" and they'll go back and tell the engineers they need it finished by next week. Then the engineers are like "well our product only does a, b, and c, and it's not ready for at least 2 months", and the moral of the story is the engineers get screwed and work overtime.
    This. Pretty much what happened to Fable. It happens a lot more often than people know.

haha, Fable.

It would take over 10 years to deliver what Fable games promise. Probably also some huge strides in AI technology.

Black Belt
    BG Level

From the community point of view, since we don't have an official forum (because there are different languages our policy is to not have an official forum) that's why, maybe, some players worry their voice isn't reaching the development team. But please be assured we're taking your voice seriously and we're gathering all the feedback from you.

Fucking gold

Stay classy SE

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Fucking gold

Stay classy SE
    What?