1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 1 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 3 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 6 hours, 1 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Eurogamer Interview With FFXIV Producers (11/15/2010)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ture-interview

Here's one thing I found extremely interesting:

Eurogamer: How exactly will the user interface change?

Hiromichi Tanaka: The version updates we're planning for this November and December are based on the current user interface, and focus on how to improve the current interface and the speed issue.

But when we come to next year's version updates, we're going to focus on the mouse side. For example, you can drag and drop your equipment and then have it on your character. Also, by right-clicking you can make a command to your character and react quickly. It'll be easier for the mouse users.

In the future, we're planning to open this up to the users so they can have add-ons, so they can improve it by themselves. That's the plan for the long term.

New Odin
    BG Level

Yeah, that caught me by surprise.

Especially with how they took care of the XIV windower group so soon

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Staghelm

In the future, we're planning to open this up to the users so they can have add-ons, so they can improve it by themselves. That's the plan for the long term.
    This is easily one of the best decisions that SE has made in years (at least for me, as I have a love for customization and coding). The game may still be worth saving if they're willing to pull out this caliber of weaponry. The sooner that this is implemented (with proper restrictions and specifications, of course), the better. I just really hope that the anti-addon mentality from other MMORPGs doesn't deter them from executing this decision.

New Odin
    BG Level

They prolly have to make it work for PS3 first some way or the other, if they are going to 'officially' allow it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    They prolly have to make it work for PS3 first some way or the other, if they are going to 'officially' allow it.
    Or maybe they finally realized people owning a PC is not that rare anymore.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Siatdiat View Post
    Or maybe they finally realized people owning a PC is not that rare anymore.
    Or they realized that while Japan is ruled by consoles, the rest of the world plays MMOs on PCs, and perhaps they also learned that there's a lot more money to be made catering to the world instead of strictly catering to Japan.

One way or another, its welcome news. The sooner they start ripping off other successful MMOs, the better.

New Odin
    BG Level

Earlier that would have ment spitting on Japan's face while catering to the world, which I doubt would be a good move. I don't think they 'realized' anything. The situation has simply changed.

With the PS3 around, I'm sure they can make it work rather easily.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Was interesting to see Tanaka admit that they fucked up the alpha/beta by not listening to the requests. It's also nice to see them actually answer to criticisms rather than their "we can't talk about that now" or getting circle jerk, softball questions they were given during the majority of XI.

New Odin
    BG Level

Here's another.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/15/in...happy-players/

Copy paste question!

I don't really like Tanaka tbh.

Also if the copy paste wasn't about saving resources I'll eat my hat! But I don't think they would ever outright admit it lol

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

The PS3 version seems to be coming along nicely and should be dead on schedule for the month of March. I hate the copy/paste terrain but it's something i can live with, it'll always be at the back of my mind irking me though. Some epic looking notorious monsters can make up for it heh.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Earlier that would have ment spitting on Japan's face while catering to the world, which I doubt would be a good move. I don't think they 'realized' anything. The situation has simply changed.

With the PS3 around, I'm sure they can make it work rather easily.
    Some Japanese companies (namely the ones that want to make a profit) have no problem catering to the world. I hardly think that including more choice when offering a product based both on the PC and PS3 is "spitting in the face" of Japan. That's all they're doing right now; offering a choice. I don't see how that somehow equates to spitting in anyone's face.

They learned, though, that if it comes down to preserving Japanese "purity" or turning a profit on a world-wide launch, its best to open up the playbook a bit.

Edit: I love the part in the PC gamer interview about many of the version updates merely being basic items that should have been included at launch. It was nice to see Tanaka try to squirm a bit out of that question. PC Gamer also really took it to them about the copy-pasta terrain, but I did like the logical response, even if I personally feel it was more about saving space (and/or money). We'll see if future expansion crank up the juice when it comes to exotic locales.

Double Edit: Bam. "We think more transparency is something very important between the development team and the players."

Sure it may result in the same amount (or more) of QQ around forums, but as long as it results in a better game, that's all that matters.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Some Japanese companies (namely the ones that want to make a profit) have no problem catering to the world. I hardly think that including more choice when offering a product based both on the PC and PS3 is "spitting in the face" of Japan. That's all they're doing right now; offering a choice. I don't see how that somehow equates to spitting in anyone's face.
    I meant earlier with PS2 around. They couldn't have 'officially' supported what the Windower team was doing because PS2 was pretty much screwed. As much as people (playing on the PC no less) thought they should have just ignored PS2 it just wasn't a valid option. Now they can finally do it officially.

They are already catering to the world by releasing the game worldwide simultaneously as well as updating it the same way. Same can't be said of Korean developers, for example.

It was nice to see Tanaka try to squirm a bit out of that question.
    Yeah, all things considered it was probably mostly his fault in the end.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

PC Gamer: If WoW could do it then, why isn’t it doable now?

Hiromichi Tanaka: One of the reasons why is because of the quality of the graphics – it’s different from WoW. What we’re trying to do in each part is costing more memory. Basically that’s the difference. WoW was designed a few years ago, before FFXI. FFXIV is designed with the latest graphical technology; that’s why it costs that much of memory data.
    Am I missing something? WoW (released in 04) was designed before XI (released in 02)?

Design could just be on paper (or equiv). WoW could have been designed before XI but not made/released till after.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think it's a PC Gamer typo and they actually meant FFXIV. Didn't development for FFXI start in like 1999-2000? I doubt Blizzard took 4-5 years to built WoW, they aren't slow fucks like SE was with FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    Didn't development for FFXI start in like 1999-2000? I doubt Blizzard took 4-5 years to built WoW, they aren't slow fucks like SE was with FFXIV.
    LOL HUGE WTF

Seldom are comments this incorrect.

EDIT: Also didn't we establish FFXIV was rushed?

What a bad post.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    I think it's a PC Gamer typo and they actually meant FFXIV. Didn't development for FFXI start in like 1999-2000? I doubt Blizzard took 4-5 years to built WoW, they aren't slow fucks like SE was with FFXIV.
    Uh, what? lol

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Oh, from wikipedia:
    World of Warcraft was first announced by Blizzard at the ECTS trade show in September 2001.[46] Development of the game took roughly 4–5 years, and included extensive testing. The 3-D graphics in WoW use elements of the proprietary graphics engine originally used in Warcraft III.
    Goes to show what I know. Thought it took less lol.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

WoW taking 4-5 years is irrelevant, it took SE longer then 2 years to develop XI, probably longer then 4-5 years knowing SE. Must have just been a typo or he misspoke.

Also reusing textures makes sense, but I don't understand why they'd have to reuse entire structures in the game. It still just seems like lazy design and if they couldn't do it right, they shouldn't have done it at all. I mean games are pretty much just wire-frames and textures, right? Nothing would stop them from using the same textures in different frames.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    WoW taking 4-5 years is irrelevant, it took SE longer then 2 years to develop XI, probably longer then 4-5 years knowing SE. Must have just been a typo or he misspoke.

Also reusing textures makes sense, but I don't understand why they'd have to reuse entire structures in the game. It still just seems like lazy design and if they couldn't do it right, they shouldn't have done it at all. I mean games are pretty much just wire-frames and textures, right? Nothing would stop them from using the same textures in different frames.
    This, definitely. Of course this has been hashed out a hundred times already, but the game has like 3 zones as it is, so why make the entire zone look the same, down to the same trees, hills, rocks, and streams. Ugh.