+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    assburgers
    BG Level

Herp, I said "roughly as well as a US kid who had spanish in school", I can put together some words, form grammatically incorrect sentences, and pick out random words I hear being spoken in spanish.

You can just fucking google "do japanese people understand any english" like I did, if you really want to check for yourself.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+japane...eak+english%3F

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Herp, I said "roughly as well as a US kid who had spanish in school", I can put together some words, form grammatically incorrect sentences, and pick out random words I hear being spoken in spanish.

You can just fucking google "do japanese people understand any english" like I did, if you really want to check for yourself.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+japane...eak+english%3F
    Until you actually speak the language for a while with other fluent speakers, you don't know shit. Picking out a random word will never amount to any real quantity of understanding, and moreover, without the cultural context, it will never really mean anything to you.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    Here comes MaxTM expert on Japanese society. Most Japanese people don't know a lick of English because they either a) forget it b) never did well in it c) don't give a shit.
    this is 100% truth.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Google turned up the fact that most people don't know anything. The problem I have is you said by surrounding yourself with English stuff people suddenly remember it and they don't. Hearing in an anime a character shout URTIMATE SOUR BLAKE or some shit doesn't constitute being around English.

assburgers
    BG Level

Wow, you're absolutely right, how could I have possibly suggested that Japanese people might get the humorous engrish used in PS&G, much like an american might get the humor of someone asking for "gwack-a-mole" or something... how silly of me.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Wow, you're absolutely right, how could I have possibly suggested that Japanese people might get the humorous engrish used in PS&G, much like an american might get the humor of someone asking for "gwack-a-mole" or something... how silly of me.

we call it guacamole in english too...

sure is internet autism in here.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Panty is a slut

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Holy shit the whole last third of episode was completely in English and littered with American cultural references. How the hell is that a legitimate comparison?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    You know I've been wondering - do the Japanese even like this show? This is probably the most Americanized anime I've ever seen. There no way they understand everything said or the references. >.>
    Go check out the anime thread. Do Americans enjoy anime with tons of Japanese culture references? Why would it be different for us vs them?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by warc View Post
    Go check out the anime thread. Do Americans enjoy anime with tons of Japanese culture references? Why would it be different for us vs them?
    Because PSG is airing in Japan for Japanese audiences?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Less of wondering if people enjoy Panty and Stocking and more of people already enjoying Panty and Stocking rocking around the fucking world.

Edit: Voted Panty. It was a tough decision, but I think a worthy one.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't think that really matters. People can still enjoy media even if it doesn't embody their own culture.

sonicbewm.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Americans in a right-hand-drive truck?

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Meh. Episode was pretty lame. Show is becoming more and more about finding references and making gifs then it is about being funny.

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I liked the first part of the episode. fucking garterbelt, lol

I actually do not like that particular track all that well. It fits in with the scenes they choose to use it in, but I didn't like having the end dedicated to it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Argh, I need the full MP3s of Fly Away and Scanty/Kneesocks' theme. When is the OST released (leaked)?

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by warc View Post
    Quite a few Americans enjoy anime, but not all of them do, and as mainstream as it has gotten in the past few years, every series is hardly huge. Even with the most popular of shows, we hardly get all of the cultural references or nuances.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

in honor of this show, i made a new character in WoW for cataclysm, a dranei paladin named garterbelt!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I would still love to know how wordplay jokes like "Angel/Anal," "Cunt-ry," or "Suc-sex" make any sense whatsoever in another language.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag